Too few calories?

Options
I seem to be hungry all the time and right now I'm at 1500 calories on MFP. That's about what they suggest. I work out about 30 mins a day 3 times a week... but I also do martial arts class while it's activity it's not a lot of cardio... it can be, but not often. I do that for 1 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours at a time roughly 3 days a week as well.

Suggestions?

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    You should enter the exercises here on MFP and the calorie adjustment it gives you from the exercise will let you eat more. The days you're exercising you need more nutrition so take advantage of it and use it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP's recommendation , they also recommend logging your exercise and eating the extra (or a least some) calories.
    Also what is your weight loss goal set to per week (1lb? 2lb?) and how much weight are you actually looking to lose. Many people choose a goal that is to aggressive for what they need and end up with really low calories.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    1. Set your weight loss goal on MFP to 1lb per week, if it's not already. A faster loss is not always better.

2. Eat back your exercise calories.

3. Not sure what your diet is like, but protein and fats keep you fuller. Try and incorporate more of them into your diet.

Good luck. :smile:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    are you eating the right foods to keep you filled up longer?

oats ect for breakfast?
    lots of veggies on your dinner plate?
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You may want to calculate your calories using your BMR and TDEE.

Here is a great link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Figure out your BMR and TDEE, and eat between those numbers.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You've lost a ton of weight! Congrats! Now the bad news :)

I'm guessing you have MFP set to have you lose 1.5 or 2 pounds a week? Now that you're so much smaller, your body has less fat to work with, so that rate of weight loss isn't really sustainable.

If you set it to .5lb/week (or 1lb/week at most), you will probably have more calories available to eat. 1500 is not really enough for any adult male in the long run. Perspective -- I'm a 5'6" woman and I eat 1700 on days when I DON'T exercise, more when I do :)

So the short answer... you're hungry because you should probably eat more! Not the worst problem to have. Good luck!
  • cjransom
    Options
    I want to lose around another 20 pounds I think. I'd at least like to get to that weight and see what I look like.

I think I'm at 1 1/2 a week. So the key seems to be from what I've read is to eat my calories back or at least some of them.

The hard part of course is properly logging calories. I guess under usually for my work outs with my Wing Tsun - it's 1 1/2 hours let us say 3 times a week sometimes more but I log it usually as 300 calories that's mostly cause I'm up moving around for that long... sometimes it's more vigorous but mostly it's more like Tai Chi
    If you are following MFP's recommendation , they also recommend logging your exercise and eating the extra (or a least some) calories.
    Also what is your weight loss goal set to per week (1lb? 2lb?) and how much weight are you actually looking to lose. Many people choose a goal that is to aggressive for what they need and end up with really low calories.
  • cjransom
    Options
    Thank you. I appreciate it.

I'm around 200 at this point but the scale shows me fluctuating to 202-203 and then back to 201. I think I'm set a 1.5 pounds a week.

I do eat more protein and fats. I have my carbs around 118, I think? Sounds like again from what I've read here I should up my calorie intake.
    You've lost a ton of weight! Congrats! Now the bad news :)

I'm guessing you have MFP set to have you lose 1.5 or 2 pounds a week? Now that you're so much smaller, your body has less fat to work with, so that rate of weight loss isn't really sustainable.

If you set it to .5lb/week (or 1lb/week at most), you will probably have more calories available to eat. 1500 is not really enough for any adult male in the long run. Perspective -- I'm a 5'6" woman and I eat 1700 on days when I DON'T exercise, more when I do :)

So the short answer... you're hungry because you should probably eat more! Not the worst problem to have. Good luck!