Yoga

Options
I really want to start doing Yoga. The internet is zero help. All sources say that I need to go to a class. As much as I would love to do that, I have no time to go to a gym (single mom). I was going to do the routine in my home after my child went to bed. Any ideas on where to start, how to start, how long a routine should be.... just.... help?!

Replies

• SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Go onto YouTube and search for yoga workouts. There's plenty out there and range from about 15 minutes to an hour in length. You're sure to find something there :smile:
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    doyogawithme.com

ekhartyoga and yogatic (on youtubee) are good places to start if you have no experience
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 of daily 60 min, at home (rodney yee) yoga sessions. I am feeling so amazing. My core is really transforming. I say invest in some shorter sessions to start. Yoga training for weight loss with suzanne deason is a very good starting place if you have never done it before.

Good luck to you.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My young kids (even the toddler) like watching me do yoga and often participate, no need to wait until after bed time.
    I do it in front of the TV on the floor.
    Youtube is a great place to learn the moves, I make up my own routines most of the time.
  • zindasgru
    zindasgru Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5nyrD4eM64

give this a try I haven't done it but Jillian is quite good
  • kimberlyschutte1
    Options
    Hi Kris,
    I do the p90x yoga at home. It is about 90 minutes long but it is an excellent workout! I think you can buy the single discs on ebay for pretty cheap. If you've never done yoga before, you may want to start with something a little more simple. When I was pregnant I did the Shiva Rhea yoga for pregnancy and liked that very much. I haven't used any of the other home dvds you can buy at Target but that may be a good place to start. Good luck!
  • KpieS86
    Options
    I would look on youtube for a video on how to do "Sun Salutation A". It's what most yoga classes start out with, and it really is a full body workout in a short routine. Even if you do 15 minutes of Sun Salutation A and work on some breathing exercises, you'll gain the benefits of a yoga practice. Keep your mouth closed through the practice, breath only through your nose and take deep, lung-filling breaths. Here is a step by step instruction for Sun Salutation A, just do the best you can. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMV4Nq6jpu0

I would really recommend doing at least a couple beginner classes or one private class so the instructor can position you correctly and help you understand the reasoning for doing the poses and breathing!

And yeah, your kid(s) would probably love to do it with you!
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing Rodney Yee but it's his A.M. Yoga DVD.

It has 5 x 20 minute routines that I'm really enjoying. They would be perfectly suited for a beginner to work in a regular yoga practise and can be done at any time of the day!

I find his teaching style extremely accessible and his voice calming.

I like to do a longer session once a week too, when I'm in the swing of things.
  • Bjmtrainer
    Bjmtrainer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There is a great video available on Amazon (probably other places too) called 10 minute Yoga. It is a really great place to start. It was pretty cheap, too (I want to say under $10). Good instructions, five 10 minutes sessions that you can mix and match.

That being said, most yoga studios have one week or one month trials that are pretty cheap. I would recommend going at least a couple times to see other people do some of the poses live and then go on your own.
  • alpha1miller
    alpha1miller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do P90X yoga or P90X2 yoga once per week! its great better then any class you can go to and a great way to start getting into it!
  • ZambiNan
    ZambiNan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    DoYogaWithMe.com

and the Biggest Loser weight loss yoga video is good, too
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of Jillian's and Bob's yoga DVDs and I prefer Bob's teaching style - he explains the poses in more detail which is always important but more so when you're learning. I like this one:

The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Weight Loss Yoga

Rodney Yee is also a good instructor but I prefer Bob's more upbeat style.
  • sturbs
    Options
    I love the 30 minute Yoga Meltdown by Jillian Michaels. It's more of a "power yoga", but Level 1 will show you the beginning, intermediate and advanced poses too. I find that a 30 minute workout during nap time is great, because I still have some nap time remaining to do some cleaning and/or cooking :)