Does temperature affect calorie burn?

Options
Does temperature affect calorie burn when working out? I've been working out outside in my garage and I sweat my (you know what) off, and it seems like I dont really hit high calorie marks. Just curious...

Replies

• aisha11188
    aisha11188 Posts: 43
    Options
    I dont know 100% but I would guess so. I sometimes exercise in my conservatory and its warmer in there leading me to sweat more. The more sweat the better the workout :-)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Sweat glands function so differently for everybody so dripping may not be an accurate measure that you worked hard. The most important thing is your heart rate. Make sure its up for 20 minutes minimum - you'll know by feeling your pulse or better yet, get a body bug (I'm too frugal to buy one, lol!)

Hopefully there isn’t any truth to where you work out making a difference since I work out in my basement and I’m usually freezing by the time I get down there and its cool down there as I work out.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I've posted a response to a similar topic... the answer is NO... being hotter and sweating more means NOTHING as to how many calories you burn. If that were true every single person who lived in a hot climate would be skinny as a rail. It's your heart rate that makes the difference. The only thing sweating does is dehydrates you. If you work out when it's COLD you actually burn more calories because your body has to work that much harder in order to heat itself.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I've posted a response to a similar topic... the answer is NO... being hotter and sweating more means NOTHING as to how many calories you burn. If that were true every single person who lived in a hot climate would be skinny as a rail. It's your heart rate that makes the difference. The only thing sweating does is dehydrates you. If you work out when it's COLD you actually burn more calories because your body has to work that much harder in order to heat itself.

yup, what he said......
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    If you work out when it's COLD you actually burn more calories because your body has to work that much harder in order to heat itself.

Woo, I love being right, ty!

Ok, I'm going to take my freezing butt to the basement now and burn me some lbs ;)
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I have even heard that if you keep your home colder in the winter you burn more calories trying to keep your body warm.:smile:
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    I have even heard that if you keep your home colder in the winter you burn more calories trying to keep your body warm.:smile:

thats because you will be shivering more xD
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that humidity has more to do with the 'amount' of sweat. When it's hot and dry you don't notice the amount of sweat so much as it evaporates off quicker. When it's the same temp but really humid you feel as if you're soaked.