Treadmill

Options
Walking on my treadmill for 30 minutes at least 5 times a week is all that I can do right now. I am losing weight, but it's very slow. Do I need to increase the time I spend on the treadmill? People have told me that 30-35 minutes a day is enough time for exercise every day.

Replies

• 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Do more time if you can. Also, up the incline as much as you can and you'll have much faster weight loss.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is controlled by calorie deficit. This can be done with our without exercise. How much are you eating? Your diary is private. TDEE = the amount of calories you burn all day just by living plus exercise. Just trying to be more active during the day can do good things for your TDEE without increasing actual "exercise". .
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Get some bar bells 10 pound ones and do three reps of 15. Imagine the weight coming off your arms while you sleep. Good work on the treadmill.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    very slow = loosing weight.

If it is working for you right now, stick with it until you stop, then re-evaluate and make a change.
    how slow is slow?
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like to do HIIT on treadmills Run at a fast pace on an incline for a period of time then walk quickly or jog on an incline for a period of time then repeat. I find that it feels like I did something and it's supposed to burn more calories even after the workout is over.

Like others are saying, weight loss is all about calorie deficit....
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    What do you consider a slow weight loss?
  • xtrasmall
    Options
    well at least u have a treadmill but u should really up your walking time to an hour n it should always be at 4mph at least n preferably at 5mph n half of the hour should be uphill incline i think.

also if ur only doing 5 days a week n not 6 days a week n ur trying to lose weight faster then u should really be doing 30min walk 5mph then incline like 4mph then cool down 30min walk 4mph or 5mph.

so a couple super interesting articles
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/558903-live-35-years-longer/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/295151-calories-burned-from-jogging-four-miles-per-hour/
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    603155_603969932952296_686197208_n.jpg
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the OP is 57 and just starting a new exercise routine. You can't really expect someone to just ramp it up that fast.
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    30 minutes is fine if that is all you feel comfortable with...that's where I started, and just progressivly worked my way up. And don't worry about the speed. Go at one speed till you feel like it is getting too easy, then either up the speed or increase the incline a little...again, till it feels too easy, then increase it again. Soon enough you will be to the point that your speed requires you to run. I prefer to walk 5 minutes to warm up, then run, then cool down with another 5 minute walk.

I don't have a lot of time to workout, so I have been increasing the speed more than the time. Take your time and like they said, any weight loss is a step in the right direction.
  • kf4vkp
    kf4vkp Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    well at least u have a treadmill but u should really up your walking time to an hour n it should always be at 4mph at least n preferably at 5mph n half of the hour should be uphill incline i think.

also if ur only doing 5 days a week n not 6 days a week n ur trying to lose weight faster then u should really be doing 30min walk 5mph then incline like 4mph then cool down 30min walk 4mph or 5mph.

What? Seriously, weight loss can happen at any speed. I'm short legged and 4mph is a running pace almost for me. I'm slowly but steadly losing weight...and that happens even on weeks where I don't get to the gym by watching what I eat and learning to push back when full. When I do go to the gym, 3.5 is a fast walk for me....and generally what I stay at.

To determine a pace for someone else is ridiculous and is a way to make someone give up.

To the OP, I suggest using the incline as you can, you definitely get more punch from the work out with it there. Go with whatever pace you're comfortable with while going faster will help the weight go faster, it's not always safer. Build time to an hour if you can and have the time, but slow and steady is good. You didn't gain the weight over night, you won't lose it over night.
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Walking on my treadmill for 30 minutes at least 5 times a week is all that I can do right now. I am losing weight, but it's very slow. Do I need to increase the time I spend on the treadmill? People have told me that 30-35 minutes a day is enough time for exercise every day.

As long as you are losing weight the healthy way with proper diet and exercise good for you. 30-35 minutes is definitely long enough, but it is all about intensity of your workout. Are you wearing a heart rate monitor while working out? I know treadmills have them, but often they are inaccurate. You want to be in your target zone to optimize workout time. You can use this site to calculate target heart rate. (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083) I wouldn't up the time on your treadmill at this point...what I would try and do if I were you and I only know of you by your question would be to increase the intensity for 30 second intervals. Say walk at what you normally do for 5 minutes and then up the speed by 1-2mph for 30 seconds or longer if you can and then go back down to your normal pace for 5 minutes. You can play with that for a few weeks and you'll be surprised that how much you'll be able to do.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Do intervals on the treadmill (fast, then slow, fast then slow etc). But I think you are doing fine.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    90% of your weight loss will be determined by your food intake. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. If you really think about it those who eat back all their exercise calories aren't gaining a weight loss advantage by exercising. Exercise will increase your fitness level, build muscle, make you look more toned and fit but unless you use those exercise calories to create a bigger calorie deficit then exercise is about fitness.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Increase the intensity each time, not the time. As others mentioned, raising the incline, doing intervals of faster and slower, etc. will increase the number of calories you burn in the same amount of time.
  • It took me 15 days to lose 3 lbs, it is going so slow. I go on the treadmill about 5 days per week for about 30 min. I would like to lose more each week, what to do?
  • workitout57
    Options
    Yes, I'm 57 but I don't look it. One of my son's friends tried to hit on me just last weekend :laugh: I definitely try to stay active. So I'm not some little fragile "old lady". I can keep up with the best of them. I have always been active, but not the best at eating right. So I joined MFP to make me more aware of what I'm eating every day. And I will continue to walk on my treadmill and take some of the advice you guys have given me. I intend to incorporate weights into my regimen at some point also. Thanks for all the help! (and for not making nasty comments).