ok nutrition dilemna

Options
I find myself in a difficult spot. I am ill for the first time since my nutrition change. I really don't have much of an appetite and I am nauseated a lot. My baby is sick as well. I know if I don't eat I at risk for putting my body back in starvation mode.

I was able to force down some hot cereal for breakfast and hot tea sooth my throat and helps with the nausea. But, what else should I be eating. Now my babies doctor said not to worry about eating as long as he is drinking.

My question is, does it work the same way for adults when we are sick too?

Replies

• kariannmbc
    Options
    When I had the flu, I lived on orange juice and hot tea for three days. Not the best diet as far as nutrition goes, but that was all I could keep down. If it's just for a few days, and as you feel better you add back real food, I don't think it's as big of a problem, as long as you stay hydrated. For me, it was three days of liquids, then I started adding some toast, chicken soup, cooked apples, etc.

Of course, I'm not a doctor. :-)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I find myself in a difficult spot. I am ill for the first time since my nutrition change. I really don't have much of an appetite and I am nauseated a lot. My baby is sick as well. I know if I don't eat I at risk for putting my body back in starvation mode.

I was able to force down some hot cereal for breakfast and hot tea sooth my throat and helps with the nausea. But, what else should I be eating. Now my babies doctor said not to worry about eating as long as he is drinking.

You are not going to go into starvation mode.

If you can't eat because you're sick, don't eat. You're sick. Treat your illness. Once you're better, get back on track.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

You are not going to go into starvation mode.

If you can't eat because you're sick, don't eat. You're sick. Treat your illness. Once you're better, get back on track.

Agreed, don't worry about silly starvation mode.
  • aproctor1120
    Options
    You can try the old BRAT diet for nausea - Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. I agree with the previous post, though. Cure your illness, then worry about nutrition.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Just do what you would have normally done the day before you ever heard the words starvation mode.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a long term slow down of BMR. Hopefully, you aren't ill for months. I've been down with a cold all week. I have not lost the muscle and flexibility gained from workout earlier... I just haven't advanced.
  • misssmarita
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, so take this with a pinch of salt. BUT... The way I see it, eating well and exercising is doing a kindness to your body. If you're just gonna be sick if you eat, then I say take it easy with the eating. If it's something that's gonna pass in a few days, then you won't do your body any long term harm by eating a lot less than normal. But I agree with your doctor, do take in liquids if at all possible. My mom always said that when I was sick growing up if I didn't wanna eat, that I should at least drink something. What abour trying to drink something with calories? Milk or smoothies come to mind. Just give your body a chance to heal, don't force yourself to eat if it's gonna make you sick, and your appetite should come back on its own. You might throw your body into starvation mode, but all that'll do is stall your weight loss for a couple of weeks, which really is not the end of the world when you're in it for the long haul.

Feel better!
  • mamma_bear41
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips and advice...My family came and took my baby for the day so I could rest...I must have needed the rest because I slept most of the day away...