At least 6 weeks and not losing weight

Options
Between October last year and March this year I had lost around 20lbs through exercising and eating well, (despite my treat day on Sunday). However, in April, I started to gain some of the weight back, so I began to exercise more. I try to eat between 1200-1500 calories a day and burn around 1000 dancing and doing other cardio activities. With few exceptions, I have maintained this plan for about six or maybe even nine weeks now and I have slowly began to put weight on. I have gained approximately 10lbs. It is incredibly frustrating, considering how little I eat and how much I am exercising! I thought that perhaps I was putting on muscle.. But am now thinking that I'm just getting fat again. I am 21 years old, 5'3 and weigh 132lbs. My goal weight is 110lbs as I am a dancer and need to be quite slim. If anyone has any advice or answers for why I might be gaining weight, I would appreciate the support. I was so successful in my weight loss, but ever since I joined myfitnesspal, I have gained weight back. It sucks! Please help me!!

Replies

• Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    are you eating at least some of your exercise calories? If not, your body may be holding onto weight to maintain your strict fitness regime and low calorie eating...

I would advise that you start taking measurements (if you don't already) these may show you that you are losing inches rather than pounds..

Keep up the great work...you'll soon see results :happy:
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1200-1500 hundred calories per day and burning 1000 calories per day.....they you are really not eating enough.....

I would recommend uping your calories.....dancing is very taxing and if its what you do professionally.....then I know you dance alot more than 1 hr per day....and probably even burning more than 1000 that you think

I think your body is in starvation mode....and you need to eat more food....your body seems to be holding onto the little food it feels its now getting......

Ensure you are eating atleast every 2-3 hours

Make sure you are getting your fruits and veggies in there

Drink lots of water

You need more calories to fuel your body

I know as a dancer its scary to think you need to eat more....but I how worse can it be....you arent eating and arent loosing....atleast for two weeks try eating more and assess yourself after that

Goodluck
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first responder, if you are eating so few calories yet burning so many your body is starving and holding on to your fat stores. Even on days you eat 1500 cals if you burn 1000, your body will act as if you only ate 500 (1500-1000).
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I would change up your calorie intake for a week or two and see what happens. If you are a dancer you probably need more calories since you're burning so much. I work out an hour a day and I need at least 1500 calories per day (and I am 5'4" 105 pounds). You should be eating at least that. Also, are you counting everything? Even cheat nights/alcohol/etc..I know it is tempting to exercise more and eat less, but I can tell you from experience that does not work. I got stuck at a plateau for a while and then I upped my calories and it came off!
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You are probably not eating the right foods, in the right combinations at the right time. It's great that you are here on this website but you need a food plan. Something that teaches you how to get the weight off and keep it off forever. Check out my food plan at www.myfoodlovers.com. It has literally saved my life.
  • rch0067
    rch0067 Posts: 7
    Options
    That's frustrating! I feel like I'm going at a snail's pace since I got on this site. I agree with the other posters, but I might also suggest you consultind with a doctor. Sometimes there are organic things going on that are beyond your control... He or she might be able to assess your thyroid/metabolism and have suggestions. Good luck and keep up the good work! rh