What does a perfect 1200 cal day look like?

Options
I am struggling with this and would like to know if any of you have an ideal day menu to take care of this. Seems I am over/ under and under and over all over again. My only consistency is in trying to meet my 1200 cals

Any ideal days out there? A daily menu recommendation would be great to see

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Spamcat
    Options
    bump
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry no one has replied to your question yet. I just looked on your profile and it says you want to lose 80ish pounds - I don't want to make assumptions but I assume you are a little heavy and maybe 1200 is too low for you? I'd work out your BMR and try and eat around that (I'm 203lbs and eat my BMR which is 1750). I have a lot of friends who have struggled at a low amount of cals but have lost eating their BMR. If you do still want to eat 1200 then you will need foods that will keep you full that are high protein and complex carbs and maybe try low fat snacks to keep you going through the day so you aren't tempted save all your cals to have a big meal in the evening or get frustrated, hungry and snap and munch on everything!

I know it's not really answered your question but I hope it's given you some suggestions and good luck :smile:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Unless you are of a very slight build and unless you are mostly sedentary and definitely never work out, 1200 calories a day is never, ever perfect.

MFP's lowest recommended setting is 1200 calories a day. It does not take into account the exercise you do. If you exercise, you are supposed to eat back the calories that are burned during that exercise. This is because MFP has already calculated enough deficit in calories for you to lose the weight you have indicated you want to lose. NOT eating your exercise calories creates an much steeper deficit and is actually very unhealthy practice.

I would suggest that if you were to do as suggested above, and calculate your BMR, there is even a calculator on this site under APPS, you wil probably find it is well above 1200 calories You should never have your NET calorie goal below your BMR number.

When you find your correct calorie goal, which will definitely be more than 1200 I would wager, you will no longer have trouble with feeling hungry and will be happier. In regard to what to eat, just try to eat healthy for about 80% of your diet. Unless you have any medical reason, you should not restrict any foods as this is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix weight loss programme. Everything is moderation. A bar of chocolate is around the same calories as a full chicken dinner.....you choose which. As you get more into getting fit and healthy I also wager you will choose the chicken dinner. This is not a race, take your time and make changes gradually.
  • jahurd77
    Options
    You are not alone! In order for me to stay on point, I changed my breakfast choice and have kept it the same every day. I do whey protein smoothies every morning (Cytosport vanilla whey from costco) mixed with half cup frozen mixed berries and half cup water in blender. I change it by adding a banana or doing a frozen cherry mix from Trader Joe's. The high protein in the whey helps keeps me full and keeps me from snacking all day. Hot drinks like tea and hot water with lemon also help to curb any snacking desires, so when I "think" I'm hungry- I go for the low calorie hot drink instead. Having a consistent breakfast that is lower in calories, but higher in protein helps me keep on track for calorie intake at lunch and dinner. Also, had to nix the glass of wine with dinner- lots of calories there, but I don't deprive totally- on days I want to have some wine or plan to go out with friends, I just step up the work out a little. Hang in there! You are doing great- try different things and then stick with what works for you!
  • carrysa
    carrysa Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie diet as well. It hasn't been to extremely hard yet and I am a woman who loves food! If I'm bored I tend to eat, but in the morning I will either have oatmeal or a thing of greek yogurt with an apple ill wait til lunch and have a turkey sandwhich w light mayo reduced fat cheese and turkey on wheat bread and an apple a couple hours later ill have a snack either fruit or a greek yogurt container. then an hour to 2 hours later ill walk for an hour or more and after that have yogurt or something with protein. I'll cook dinner 2 hours after and I just plan my meal according to how many calories I have left over. I normally goodle low calorie dinners and I'll plug it into the food tracker and usually I'll still have a few calories left over for dessert etc. so I'll have fruit or a skinny cow dessert!....I hope this helps and if you would like to add me we can help each other out!!!!...also I found a soup for dinner that only 98.7 calories per serving!!!! and its delicious!
  • Spamcat
    Options
    This was the recommended cal count provided by MFP
    I am 5'6" with a sedintary job, Weighing in today at 211.9
    1200 cals has not been much of a problem as I concentrate on veg and protein. I had a weekend away for a work event that took a while to get back down
    I have not had a bingefest yet, but I also have not yet hit the excercise factor yet....... Too cold to walk outside for a while yet
    This may be a silly question - but how do you figure out your BMR?
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my querry
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Feel free to take a look at my diet. I'm around 1480 but some days more, some days less. If I work out, I try to eat back my calories so I'm netting at least 1200.

It'll give you an idea anyway...
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I eat a 3 egg white omelette with loads of veggies and a slice of cheese for breakfast or a cup of oatmeal.. lunch might be a large salad with salmon on top, tuna or chicken and a low cal dressing. Dinner would be chicken breast or steak with lots of broccoli or other greens or a nice big side salad. I eat about 2 to 3 apples a day, a banana or 2, drink only water because I don't like soda or other drinks. I eat dove dark chocolate almost every day. Love a fiber one brownie or bar which are only 90 calories each. With all that food I never go to bed hungry and I'm always satisfied.

Heck yesterday I had greek yogurt, 4 home made buffalo wings, a beer, tostito chips and salsa, pizza, 2 caramel delights girl scout cookies and still didn't meet 1200 calories.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I would find a calorie goal somewhere between your TDEE and your BMR.

I am just shy of 5 foot and weigh about 110 and work at a desk job and am eating more than you...
  • Spamcat
    Options
    MY BMR is 1612 and in order to loose 1.6 lbs a week, MFP has recommended that my intake is 1200 cals
    What have I missed?
    I am a walker in summer and will account for the cals burned when I start up again in spring ( eating them back)
    What have I missed? Should I be uppioing my cal intake?
    Water is not an issue - but I am T2 so I am walways watching my carbs. Want to eventually eliminate these meds when my DR gives the ok.
  • Spamcat
    Options
    LOL - apparently I need spell check!
  • rabthol1
    Options
    i would agree that 1200 is low! You have to take MFP with a grain of salt sometimes - remember it is just a calculator and really can't understand your actual day-to-day ins and outs. I was 270lbs about a year and a half ago and i am close to 200 now. Regarding nutrition, I am about 1700-1800 per day with a percentage breakdown of 20% fat, 40% carb, 40% protein. I would recommend trying that breakdown as well, at least for a few weeks. You will want to get daily exercise too so you can kick up your metabolism. Try 30 mins per day on a treadmill, not letting your heartrate get above 130is or below 115ish. Also, I would incorporate some weight training too. Weight training will alos help with your metabloism b/c after you finish your weights, the muscle tissue that you will be developing will also burn more calories at rest. I have an endo-meso body type (feel free to read my profile) - but after seeing results with correct nutrition and proper excercise (not a ton tho), i can maintain right where I need to be. Please ask if you have any questions, etc...space your meals out so you are eating around 5-6 times per day. this will also help your metabolism. Remember, meals are not 5 course meals (breakfast is 1/2C quick oats, 10 blackberries, 10 blueberries, a protein shake and my mid morning meal is 10 almonds, a raw kiwi with skin, 1/4 of avocado - as an example) -

Whatever changes you make, give them about 3 weeks to identify if you see results or not. Remember - drink water - no sodas of any kind, or juices either - WAY TOO MUCH SUGAR - can spike your insulin which helps store those extra calories - you dont want that....soy milk is a plus too - a good balance of fat/carb/protein. Each person's body is a little different, so good luck experimenting!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    MY BMR is 1612 and in order to loose 1.6 lbs a week, MFP has recommended that my intake is 1200 cals

Since you have a lot of stored energy in your body, you could try to keep your calories that low for a couple months, though some people here would disagree with me. However, please please please, if you are only going to eat 1200 calories, also promise us you'll do the following:

1) Eat more on days you work out
    2) Listen to your body. Eat more calories thruout the day on a regular basis if you get hungry or find yourself binging every few days (anything up to the 1600 BMR in calories is fine, and you WILL lose weight if you stick to that amount)
    3) Check in with your doctor regularly to get blood pressure/blood glucose/blood composition checked
    4) Eat as nutrition-dense food as possible. At only 1200 calories it's difficult to get all of your servings of low-fat dairy, vegies, fruit, high quality proteins and healthy fats if you're eating a bunch of "empty" junk food calories
    5) If you eat that few calories on average per day for a long period, you will probably lose fat AND muscle (and some bone density)
  • kellysawyers
    kellysawyers Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also eat 1200-1300 calories a day. I work at a desk job, and if I plan my day well, 1200 calories is enough for me. I usually let myself cheat a little on the weekends, so that's probably why it's pretty easy. For breakfast, I usually have either whole wheat toast with some Laughing Cow cheese and an egg or a smoothie (skim milk, yogurt, banana, honey, and whatever other fruit I have on hand). Lunch is usually a salad with light dressing and some beans to keep me full all afternoon. Google "mason jar salads" if you haven't seen them already. I make several at the beginning of the week, and I really enjoy having a healthy lunch in the fridge at work. Dinner is usually some sort of lean meat with two veggies and some brown rice or whole wheat pasta. If I snack, it is usually on fruit. I just subscribed to The Fresh 20, a meal-planning site, so that helps me with variety. The site isn't necessarily low-calorie by design, but the goal there is to use as much fresh food as possible, so you are still having a healthy meal. I don't really eat throughout the day, although I probably should. I'm just not big snack person.

Sorry for the rambling reply. I know 1200 calories isn't for everyone, but it works for me just fine. Plus, if I go over my goal, I do NOT punish myself since I know 1200 calories just isn't much.
  • Spamcat
    Options
    Awesome responses, thank you for all of your help. I am going to look into the TDEE - and find out what that is all about. I will eat more when I start walking again - not to worry.
    If I need more - I will listen to my body and I never go to bed hungry - or save all of my cals for one big blowout meal. I tend to graze to keep my blood sugar inline ( which always runs high anyway) and keep my carbs lower.
    The food tracking on MFP is fabulous! If I want the chocolate - I can track one piece's values and I am good with that. I have not needed the whole bar.
    I am at my Dr every 3 months for blood tests anyway - and to get perscription refills . We talk about the results. It will be interesting when I go back atthe begining of March to see what the blood levels look like.
    If I ate 1600 cals would I not stay at the same weight without excercise? Seems counterproductive unless I get moving. On occasion I have had a treat but have accounted for it within my cals. I must say though that these so called treats are not really worth it since it leaves you somewhat empty and only wanting more. I had a cup of "junky" popcorn ( cheddar and caramel) and was not feeling like it was worth the 160 cals. ( it was a 1300 cal day that day - whoch did not make me jump ship) It does not hurt to periodically learn that lesson once in a while. Would have been better of with something more fulfiling.
  • rabthol1
    Options
    Treats are ok, but would limit them to once a week. Also, you asked about 1600 cals vs 1200 cals. cals are not the same. You cant eat 1200 cals of junk and expect the same with 1200 cals of proper nutrition. If you must need something sweet, eat some fruit - stay away from candy, processed sweets, etc - especially if you already on the border with your blood sugar. Trust me I know its hard to make habit changes, but hey - its for a healthier life, right?:smile:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it looks like a crumple-horned snorkack

i.e. it doesn't exist

even if 1200 is the right amount of calories for you (*e.g. on account of being short, small framed and relatively inactive - I didn't check to see if this was the case or not) there's still no such thing as a perfect day. Eat all the nutrients that your body needs and the right amount of calories for your size and a slow and sustainable rate of fat loss. No-one's perfect and there's no such thing as a perfect 1200 cal (or any other number of calories) day.
  • gamedar
    gamedar Posts: 9
    Options
    I first saw your post on Google looking for the perfect day on MyFitnessPal and I finally figured it out you'll be over 4 cal but that's okay you'll be in the green for everything else.

Food from Trader Joes:

1 small banana
    1 medium pink lady apple
    0.5 cup baby spinach
    0.6 medium Barlett pear
    5.5 oz whole white mushrooms
    2 tbs classic hummus
    2 oz cave aged farmhouse cheddar cheese

Else where but can also buy at trader joes:

0.8 cup fat free skim milk
    3 jumbo sized eggs (both white and yolk)
    2 large 6 1/2 in diameter inch pita bread

put those bad boys and and boom you're at 1204 cal and you are in the green for all the other stats

You're welcome~
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    67268-sloth-hugs-cat-gif-choke-shhh-ksm5.gif
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Everyone here freaks out when you say 1200, oh my!!!! It is low for most people, especially if they are exercising daily but for some it's the right number to lose the right amount at the right speed.

I ate 1200-1400 for a while and I was never tired or cranky. I lost at a good rate and was happy. I didn't do it for long but I mostly maintain at 1600, so unless I go lower I don't really lose. Either way, I copied a day for you to paste below, my diary is open for you to get more ideas. Right now I'm trying to build some muscle slowly so I'm eating a lot of calories, you have to go back to about April to see my 1200 days.

Good luck ;-)

Breakfast
    Sarah Lee Bread - 45 Calories Wheat, 2 slices
    Breakstone - 2% Milkfat Cottage Cheese, 56.5 g,, 4 oz., 1/2 cup
    Jif - Whipped Peanut Butter, 1.5 table spoons

Snack- 12PM
    Beets - Cooked, boiled, drained, 1 cup slices
    Asparagus - Cooked, boiled, drained, 1 cup
    Wholey Guacamole - Guacamole, 4 TBSP (30g)

Lunch- 3PM
    Chicken Breast - Chicken Breast, Skinless, 3.5 oz
    Bella Fina - Baby Yellow Bell Peppers, Deliciously Sweet, 1 ounce (28 g)
    Zucchini - Cooked Zucchini, 100 gr
    Onion - Sauteed Chopped Onion, Yellow, 1 teaspoon
    Carrots, Baby Raw Mine - Raw Baby Carrots, 1 cup

Dinner – 6 PM
    Vegetables - Brussels Sprouts, 1 cup
    Baked Sweet Potato - Baked Sweet Potato, Medium, 0.5 (2" long by 5" long) 130g
    Salmon - Baked or Grilled Salmon, 2 oz

Nightime snack - 9PM
    Jif - Whipped Peanut Butter, 1.5 table spoons
    Dole - Bananas, 0.5 banana
    Deutsche Kuche (Aldi) - Pumpernickel Bread, 1 slice
    Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey (Chocolate), 1 scoop