I HATE strength training.....any non-lifting suggestions?

Options
So, I completely understand the importance of strength-training, as this is needed to build muscle and to avoid simply becoming "skinny-fat," but I absolutely hate weight training (doesn't matter if it is free weights or machines...I get super bored and find myself thinking of all of the other things that I could/should be doing, and I tend to rush through these types of exercises). I enjoy yoga and try to incorporate that for resistance training, and I have also had success with fitness boot camps in the past. Does anyone have suggestions for how to work on building muscle/toning up that aren't dependent on weights? I am trying to keep it fresh and avoid getting bored....

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Wat.

Hates strength training...does not compute.

I guess you could try crossfit or something. I've never tried it but I know a few people that like it. It's not as good as lifting, but it's something.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Chalean Extreme. It makes it more interesting.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I love body weight exercises - squats, lunges, planks, pushups. Try Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown, it's a killer work out as well as Bob Harper's warrior yoga....lot's of body weight exercises incorporated in these DVD's, very challenging!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    What about body weight exercises? Pushups, pullups, etc. There are all sorts of routines on youtube and online.

Here's one that I've personally done:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I do p90x strength training workouts and love it
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I find it rather dull too so I do pilates. You can add ankle/wrist weights or weighted gloves to get more out of it or to move up and improve your strenght.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Same here.. HATE weight training bad... so... hate gyms... boring!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    do you know that you don't have to do it for a long time??? if you do stronglifts, you honestly only lift for 30 minutes...maybe even less at the beginning b/c the weights aren't so heavy that you need much rest time in between. i do strong lifts in the morning 3xs a week...done in 30 minutes, which is LESS time than cardio takes. look up stronglifts if you haven't. i PROMISE it's not boring. you'll be done and be like "wait...i'm already done???? sweet!!!".
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Battle Ropes
    Kettle Bells
    Boxing
    HIll Running
    Biking up hill
    HIking with a pack

All will do some level of strength training, its not the same as lifting weights, but it helps
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 3x a week a deep water exercise, I think it provides both cardio and resistance training. We use a waist belt for part of the class to provide buoyancy, and use things like noodles to do push ups and squats, it is mixed up a lot and works the entire body. I have really enjoyed it and definately feel like I am getting a lot of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What kind of strength training are you doing? Are you just aimlessly picking up weights and lifting or are you following a program? Do you set goals for yourself...i.e. last week I was lifting this much...this week I"m going to add 5 Lbs to that exercise, etc.

Also, you don't actually have to spend a ton of time in the weight room...lift heavy, full body compound lifts. My routine basically consists of 3 exercises done 3x weekly, 3x5 times (with warmup on squats and a set or two warm up on OH press and bench. I'll add more later on, but as a beginner this is great for me and I'm in and out in about 30 minutes.

I've found that really pushing myself, following a program, and making progressive goals has really helped me learn to love weight lifting. I'm also starting to feel and see some results, so gravy.
  • Montanarush
    Options
    kick-boxing, isometrics, calesthenics, resistance band, etc.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Power yoga.
    Heavy house work and yard work.
    Rearrange the furniture on a regular basis.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    do you know that you don't have to do it for a long time??? if you do stronglifts, you honestly only lift for 30 minutes...maybe even less at the beginning b/c the weights aren't so heavy that you need much rest time in between. i do strong lifts in the morning 3xs a week...done in 30 minutes, which is LESS time than cardio takes. look up stronglifts if you haven't. i PROMISE it's not boring. you'll be done and be like "wait...i'm already done???? sweet!!!".

You are officially awesome! I love it when I hear about women doing SL or Starting Strength.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    boxing.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Chalean Extreme. It makes it more interesting.

I find this program engaging for strength training for the basic novice. . .which is what I consider myself. And, the workouts aren't ridiculously long. And, well, Chalene is perky. . .almost annoyingly so. But she is motivating.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    well strength and core don't require weights...you can do pull ups,chin ups,push ups, crunches, sit ups, leg raise, squats etc...this will give you core,abs ,arms,chest,back and legs muscles without using weights
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Strength training also helps preserve muscle strength as you age and helps prevent osteoporosis.

I agree that if you find a good program with heavy weights and low reps, it really doesn't take that long.
  • missstephanielynn
    missstephanielynn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am attrociously lazy and hate strength training too. That being said, I just do squats/push-ups/sit ups/lunges during commercial breaks when I'm watching TV. Even a little bit makes a difference!