Why am I exercising...

Options
I am having trouble understanding what the point of exercise is, if in my calorie counting, I am supposed to add those calories to my daily intake. Doesn't this just erase the exercising I just did?
Can someone explain this to me?

Replies

• baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    At least for me, I find it hard to stay around 1800 calories (my daily allotment including deficit to lose ~1 lb a week), so I exercise so I can eat more. I don't necessarily eat back everything I burn off, but it gives me some cushion.

That said, I really exercise because:
    1) It makes me feel good,
    2) it builds muscle (even cardio does this!) and burns fat, and therefore
    3) makes me healthier, and
    4) makes me look better, and
    5) I enjoy bike racing, marathons, and triathlons, and it's hard to do any of those without exercising, and
    6) my family has a history of heart issues, so I exercise to make sure I don't have a heart attack when I'm 46 like my dad did, or die in my 60s like two aunts, one uncle, and two grandparents did.

I suppose I could go on, but that should give you some idea what the point of exercise is.
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump....curious about this as well.... I feel like I am going backwards. I have been improving what I am doing but the scale isnt budging. Is it worth eating back the calories?
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Based on a purely numerical basis, your question is perfectly understandable.

The real reason you want to exercise is that it builds muscle and muscle burns more calories than fat, which ultimately makes your body more efficient and you healthier.

The other reason is that you can regulate (or offset) what you eat with exercise. Let's say you are allotted 1500 calories today and are on track for meeting that goal. Then you have a moment of weakness and decide to have a piece of cake. Now all you have to do is exercise enough to compensate for you indulgence. Everything has a price right....
  • hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you don't enjoy exercise and you don't care for the fitness and tone that it provides, then don't do it. Exercise is meant as a SUPPLEMENT to weight loss, but the majority of weight loss comes from diet. I do it because I don't just want to lose weight, I want to look more toned, gain fitness, because I enjoy it, and so that I can eat more during the day.

But seriously, don't do it if that doesn't appeal to you.
  • AfreezeAdventure
    AfreezeAdventure Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you just eat less to lose weight, you also lose muslce mass. There is a term called yo yo dieting which might explain it better.

"Yo-yo dieting gets its name from the cycle of bingeing, then dieting to lose the weight gained bingeing, then repeating the cycle again and again. Yo-yo dieters typically gain weight over time, and yo-yo dieting without exercise only compounds the problem.

Without exercise, yo-yo dieters lose both muscle and fat during the diet phase, while they gain only fat during the binge phase. Over time, the proportion of fat making up their bodies becomes greater and greater, while the proportion of muscle becomes smaller and smaller.

This results in a significant slowdown of their metabolism, making weight loss more and more difficult."

--Sourced from http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_exercise.php
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    exercise has lots of benefits besides weight loss. Including

reduced risk of cardiovascular disease
    reduced risk of alzhimers
    reduced risk of colon cancer
    improved sleep
    reduced stress
    healthy muscles, bones, joints keeps you feeling good as you age

From a weight loss perspective it is easier to create a calorie deficit by burning more calories through exercise. This means your diet doesn't have to be as restrictive to still lose weight. Exercise also raises the metabolism which will help with weightloss
  • swishandflick
    Options
    I haaate exercise as well, but the only reason I keep doing it (despite not losing any weight, dammit), is the little things like being able to walk up a flight of stairs and not losing my breath.

Also, I think at the very least even if I'm not losing weight/inches, working out is at least helping maintain the current weight rather then gaining pounds/inches.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    u will look toned and sexy , its worth it .. eat back ur ecercise calories if they not accounted for in ur TDEE
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The calories you are allowed each day as long as you base it off of being sedetary or light exercising daily, is set up so that if you do no exercising, you will still be able to lose that 1-2 lbs a week (or whatever your goal is). MFP creates a calorie deficit for you. So if you go ahead and workout one day and log in your 320 calories from whatever and decide not to eat back your exercise calories, you are creating TOO MUCH of a deficit. Too much deficit = bad news in the long run.
  • tanderson1000
    Options
    I wonder the same thing, because every time I eat my exercise calories, I gain weight, so I just don't eat them. I do feel more toned from the exercise, but that is the only benefit I can see. I'm sure my heart is healthier - so I guess that is the benefit I can't see :) I will keep exercising since I don't want to lose muscle, but I totally get what you are asking.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the mental and physical health benefits, and in addition to being able to eat more food...I am now at my old weight (which was my goal weight) but I'm smaller because I have been exercising. I know everyone always tells you that, but I had to see it to believe it. It absolutely blew my mind when I thought I could finally get back into my old clothes and now many of them are too big.
  • MiguelX66
    MiguelX66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble understanding what the point of exercise is, if in my calorie counting, I am supposed to add those calories to my daily intake. Doesn't this just erase the exercising I just did?
    Can someone explain this to me?

I found this confusing too at first. It seems that some web sites and calorie calculators factor exercise into the estimated calories to eat for your weight loss goal, but MFP does not (even though it asks you how much you exercise when you first set your goals.) So you add them back to stay on track with your goal.

Much more info on this here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf