need motivation and fitness buddies!

Options
I am absolutely determined to get my body, flexibility, and energy back - as much as possible, anyway. I just turned 30 yrs old, I am a stay at home mom of 4, and I can't seem to stick with a fitness plan :grumble: I don't have too difficult of a time beginning something, however, between the chaos of a family of 6 and the struggles with my sleep disorder (Narcolepsy), I inevitably have a day that I just don't have time, or energy.. that one day turns in to 2 days, then 3 days, and before I know it I've lost it. I am planning to start relatively small and simple in hopes that will help me to stay on track, but I think that having some friends to motivate and relate will help greatly! Would love to hear others stories, struggles, tips, mantras - anything :happy:

Replies

• aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me..except I will turn 32 next week. :noway: I also am a sahm of 4, and cook 3 meals a day for my cowboy husband, as well. Eeek.
    We both do T-Tapp, but I haven't done it for 3 weeks. So easy to fall off the wagon! I am also breastfeeding a former preemie, so i can't cut cals too much, but obviously I am eating too much, cause the weight is just sticking this time. argh! :sad:
    But I, too, am determined that by the end of this year (?) I will be much slimmer and trimmer and fitter. :happy::bigsmile:
  • mmc23
    mmc23 Posts: 42
    Options
    Hey! :) I'm a little older (37) but have also struggled to take care of myself while taking care of my 2 kids and hubby. (trying to be a good example for all of them in regards to healthy eating and exercise!)

I also nursed both of my kids... With the first one, the weight came off like nobody's business (I think it was actually mostly water weight from pre-eclampsia) but with the second one... guess what... "the baby" is almost 7, and the baby weight is still here. I think it may be a second (third... fourth... etc) baby thing, that's what has happened to most of the moms I know who have nursed more than one kid. Everyone's body reacts differently to breastfeeding.

My real goal for this year is to be healthier and stronger and better able to keep up with my kids. I'm happy to report that my 9 year old daughter and I went to Zumba last weekend and I stayed on my feet for the whole thing, before I started running I would have died on the spot ten minutes into it. LOL!

Here are the things keeping me going right now: (un-ordered list)
    Try to eat as many whole grains as you can, they are more filling and have more fiber.
    Don't restrict yourself from your favorite foods or you'll feel deprived. Portion control is what it's all about. I tell myself, "yes you can have one serving of cookies. No, you can't eat the whole box today."
    When you do eat not so healthy choices, don't beat yourself up about it or you'll feel twice as bad. It's a vicious cycle of guilt, blame, sadness, and then eating more.
    Be honest with your food journal. I have mine locked so only I can read it, I feel better about it that way. Once each week or two, I have a "fill in the number of calories approximately, and call it good" day. :)
    Don't go too far below your daily calorie goal or you'll just be hungry at bedtime. Bedtime snacking can be a huge stumbling block for me!

HTH and best wishes to you both.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm a working mom of 3 rambunctious boys, 8, 6, and 20 mo. My husband works construction and I also do his bookwork for him since he owns his own company. So, I have multiple jobs. I have been using MFP for a year now and I have lost 40 lbs. My goal is to lose another 15 lbs. I was hoping to have done that by this point, but November came around and I fell off the wagon....hard...hitting myself in the face and everywhere else. I just can't seem to find the motivation that I once had. I'm hoping that it is just a phase since it is the middle of winter here in Wisconsin and the weather has been crazy. Everyone is sick since the temps fluctuate so much. Anyhow, I need some major motivation cause I am now trying to conceive #4 and I don't want to go back to almost 200 lbs after I give birth again!! I have done it 3 times before and I DON"T want to do it again!! Any encouraging words here would be much appreciated!!
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Anyhow, I need some major motivation cause I am now trying to conceive #4 and I don't want to go back to almost 200 lbs after I give birth again!! I have done it 3 times before and I DON"T want to do it again!! Any encouraging words here would be much appreciated!!

When I saw the "198" on the hospital scale just days before giving birth back in Oct 12, I about fainted, and promised myself then and there that once the baby was here, this weight would go...along with the misc lbs picked up along the way with my previous 4 babies!

Unfortunately, 2 months of bedrest with this pg left me with more fat than baby, and it's really tough this time around. I just am determined to stay determined to lose this. I want sooo badly to get down to my pre-first-baby weight of 140. :smile:

I was in the NICU for 4 weeks with Baby, and came home with her on oxygen, etc, so it hasn't been till recently that the stress has abated enuf to get super serious.
    We CAN DO THIS!!! :wink:
  • lucky5552
    lucky5552 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHAM of two. 36 years old..husband works at our restaurant from 10a to 10pm..I cook all meals..Have 3 big dogs..Do book work for our business..And I have Fibromaylgia ..I'm hurt whether I work out of not..So tired some days I just want to do nothing..But i need this weight off..I need to be healthy, and available for my kids..add me..I'm dong Jillian Michaels and its 30 min's a day..6 days a week..