calories burned per MFP

Hello --

Does anyone else get the sense that MFP is way too generous when calculating how many calories are burned for activity? I have a lot of experience with different fitness programs and find that the calories burned are overestimated by at least 1/3. When I work out, I login in 2/3 of the time I actually spend.
So If I do 45 minutes on the ellipitical, I login 30 mins. It gives a more accurate estimation of calories burned. :smile:

Replies

• Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    They are. And people that have lost a lot of weight also need to consider that they are not burning as much as in the beginning. When I log my workouts, people always comment on how low my calories I log are, compared to that they log. Im only 17% body fat, AND my body is adapted to my workouts. There is NO WAY I am burning 160 calories in 10 min walking on the stair climber, i can believe 90ish. Plus I would rather low ball it than go to high.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    That's why a heart rate monitor that calculates calories burned is an excellent investment.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    MFP (at least for running and walking) overestimates for more fit people but UNDERestimates for less fit people.
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    After only a week I noticed the numbers seemed on the high side for the work put in. I am going to record the info from the equip. I use at rehab and compair to what MFP says. But, no matter, if you are loosing and happy with the results, is the difference really making a difference?
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Hello --

Does anyone else get the sense that MFP is way too generous when calculating how many calories are burned for activity? I have a lot of experience with different fitness programs and find that the calories burned are overestimated by at least 1/3. When I work out, I login in 2/3 of the time I actually spend.
    So If I do 45 minutes on the ellipitical, I login 30 mins. It gives a more accurate estimation of calories burned. :smile:

Not accurate at all. Get a HRM . I used MFP calculations and it was off by 230 calories.
  • Wow thanks for all the feedback. Just in response to Vmax1992, I guess it matters if it compels someone to eat more. I find that I really like to stick to my daily calorie intake allowance (1200). So if I go to the gym and log it in and find out I burned 600 cals, I may very well eat those cals back LOL. It's one of my problems. Therefore, had I not been aware of this issue, I probably wouldn't have lost as much weight as I have by now....

Also, the machines at the gym are notoriously off as well. If it says you burned 100 cals, consider it to be more like 65-75 cals.
  • JCE0129
    JCE0129 Posts: 26 Member
    I agree about machines at the gym. My doctor told me that those machines are designed with men in mind and are very inaccurate for women. About 2 years ago I was working with a trainer at my gym who told me the cardio portion of my workout should be burning at least 500 calories! It was my doctor who told me I'd be there all day and to do 20 mins of cardio, giving it all I've got, before moving on to the rest of my workout (weights in my case). She also told me that women like to work abs and arms, but you burn the most calories working your large muscle groups....so work your butt & quads more. That is probably a "no brainer" for many but, at the time, I had never thought of it.

I'm new to MFP and I've really never contributed to the message boards. But, I see so many people posting about eating back their calories. I may be guilty of eating too few calories more often than eating too many, but why eat back calories burned during a workout? Seems like it defeats the purpose of the workout. I'm trying to get back into a workout routine now. However, 2 years ago I was working out religiously. I lost 25 lbs. and my goal was 1200 calories a day. When I worked out I didn't give myself more, although I did increase my protein intake. I do not track my exercise on MFP because it automatically adds in more calories for your workout.

I've been considering getting a HRM for the gym & hot yoga, as someone mentioned in this thread, but I've read so many pros and cons.....it seems like a lot of people think they are a waste of money. Anyone think they are worth the investment?