Advice on Plateau, Small Amount of Weight to Lose

Options
Hey everyone! I've searched back threads and saw a lot of "1200 calories a day is just too little" threads.

Does that count if you have not that much weight to lose? I've been trying to lose weight for 6 months now and all I've accomplished is gaining two pounds (lol). I know that's not muscle because I can't fit into my "skinny" jeans that I used to fit into at 120.

CW: 127 (stubborn weight around the hips)
GW: 120
Body fat: Scale says 20%
Daily calories: 1200 on the weekdays, on the weekends I may go higher but I don't typically go nuts with calories ever unless it's a special occasion maybe once every three weeks or so. Alcohol is my worst vice. I may down a bottle of wine or two max a week.

I work out three times a week. Just switched over to a weight training routine (this one: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/stephanies-circuit-style-fat-burning-workout.htmlre). Plus maybe one day of cardio.

It may not seem like a lot of weight, and yes, it's mostly vanity. And also fitting into my damn wedding dress comfortably. I don't want to pay the $200 to get it altered.

Any advice on things I should be changing? My diary is public, and I'm not terribly good at food logging (but I've done the whole last week).

Thank you! I love my fitness pal.

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I've searched back threads and saw a lot of "1200 calories a day is just too little" threads.

Does that count if you have not that much weight to lose? I've been trying to lose weight for 6 months now and all I've accomplished is gaining two pounds (lol). I know that's not muscle because I can't fit into my "skinny" jeans that I used to fit into at 120.

CW: 127 (stubborn weight around the hips)
    GW: 120
    Body fat: Scale says 20%
    Daily calories: 1200 on the weekdays, on the weekends I may go higher but I don't typically go nuts with calories ever unless it's a special occasion maybe once every three weeks or so. Alcohol is my worst vice. I may down a bottle of wine or two max a week.

I work out three times a week. Just switched over to a weight training routine (this one: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/stephanies-circuit-style-fat-burning-workout.htmlre). Plus maybe one day of cardio.

It may not seem like a lot of weight, and yes, it's mostly vanity. And also fitting into my damn wedding dress comfortably. I don't want to pay the $200 to get it altered.

Any advice on things I should be changing? My diary is public, and I'm not terribly good at food logging (but I've done the whole last week).

Thank you! I love my fitness pal.

Right, hope you don't mind me being honest!

Your calories are too low on all the days I looked at, your protein is too low, you have too much alcohol and you rely too much on convenience foods. Chinese food and ready meals are probably full of sodium, plus Chinese usually contains MSG.

I don't think there's anything wrong with 1200 calories, so long as it's made up of healthy foods.

I'd suggest you eat more, and up your protein, and cut out the ready meals, and get more veg and fruit.

Your body shape is similar to mine I think, you carry your weight on your hips/thighs and lower half. I know you can't spot reduce, but do lots of squats, lunges etc, and cardio of course.

I'm aiming for 150lbs and am 163 at the moment, although I don't think i look 30+lbs heavier than you are. Funny how weight works!

I think once you sort your diet out, you'll notice a loss. Seems like you're doing well with the workouts.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I see a couple of things in your post that might help...
    Alcohol is my worst vice. I may down a bottle of wine or two max a week.

Limit yourself to a drink a day. Alcohol won't do you any favors in the weight loss or health department, but I'm not one to say that you can never indulge in what you love. Just keep it low. One drink a day.

More cardio, for sure. Cardio will burn calories, and combined with the lifting, will also speed fat burning. Do cardio 2-3 times a week to supplement your weight training.
    I'm not terribly good at food logging

This is the big one. Get good at food logging. Be religious about it for about 3 weeks, at least 6 days a week. It's the only way to know what you're really taking in. You have to work the program for the program to work for you! :)

Good luck, and you're looking great!
  • swishandflick
    Options
    Thanks! Please be honest, I appreciate it!

Will try and cut down on the convenience foods, I'm totally going to make a big veggie salad today that will be spread out for the week. There's just something so easy about picking up something that has the calories stamped right outside the box instead of going in and adding up each and every ingredient.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    A great book to read is by Chris Powell who essentially describes to increase your caloric intake when you have plateaued, and have say a week or two, go back to the lower amount. It re-ignites your body. Give it a try! It might just do the trick.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    What helped me bust through my last plateau was making a concerted effort to drink way, way more water. I think you may find that helpful, especially if packaged meals and Chinese is a regular occurrence.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Might just take a little patience with the weights.

Oh, and you may wanna ditch your scale and go by measurements.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I would agree with the above nutrition advice, eat "cleaner" and more natural. Jury is out on alcohol, I have a cocktail or two every day and it hasn't held me back. But, I do make sure to get my protein, fat and carb macros met with enough real food!

The point I would make is about calories - especially if you only have a few vanity pounds to lose (I with ya there) is to really figure out what your TDEE is and just eat a small deficit under that. The weight loss will be slower but it will stay off! Also, when you log food and exercise calories, be as accurate (weigh and measure) and honest as you can!

Best of Luck!
  • _namaste_
    Options
    Too few calories, even at or close to goal weight.

I am 5'6, 134lbs, my goal was 135 but I'm working towards 130 now or so. I eat 1650 / day average but I calorie cycle. This is my biggest advice for the stubborn "last few pounds". You eat an average of X calories per day but you spread them out so you have high and low days. This is what my week looks like right now:

Monday: 1600
    Tuesday: 1325
    Wednesday: 1700
    Thursday: 1500
    Friday: 1750
    Saturday: 1460
    Sunday: 1920

For me the cycling helped me out of a plateau and has kick started my continued weight loss. I have heard it's because your body doesn't get used to the same thing every day and fat will continue to shed, etc.

I match my low days to my high intensity work out days (since I eat back my exercise calories which I also think is important) and I match my high calorie days with low intensity exercise days or rest days.

If you eat too little you slow everything down and hurt yourself big time. At my height and weight I comfortably lose 1 pound per week, or even more, eating 1650 cals a day. And I do eat some convenience foods (more frozen stuff than fast food) because I have kids and a crazy job and don't always have the time. But I make as much fresh goodness as I can swing too. :)
  • swishandflick
    Options
    A great book to read is by Chris Powell who essentially describes to increase your caloric intake when you have plateaued, and have say a week or two, go back to the lower amount. It re-ignites your body. Give it a try! It might just do the trick.

Thanks! Without even looking at it too deeply, my problem is that I can easily find a way to eat more if that means I get to eat pasta every night or a cupcake for dinner...but I'm guessing they mean eat more kale shakes and protein haha.

For some reason, it's easier for me to switch off the "eating" switch entirely then to eat only foods I'm not too crazy about.
  • 1brandywine200
    Options
    Try cutting all the alchol out. Also, if your working out with weights increase weight lbs. Another piece of advice is pay attention to fat consumption. Try only eating lean proteins and lots of veggies. I lost about 30 lbs using The Pink Method and if you do this, there is a 7-day shred soup that I lost 4 lbs eating. You can go online and buy it. It has work out DVD's that target certain areas and gives you meal plans and a variety of what can be eaten. It is also designed for those who want to lose those stubbord 10 or so lbs.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    How do you know you're only eating 1200 calories if you're not logging?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to lose .5lbs/week, which should give you more calories to eat. Lift heavy (3-4 times a week) and limit cardio (1-2 times a week). And be patient - the last 5-10 lbs is awful. My estimates you'll be at fighting weight by summer if you follow this...
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I just busted through a plateau by eating more. I was eating 1450 during the week and around 1700 on the weekends. I started eating around 1700 every day because I was constantly hungry and starting to feel a little run down. I work a crapton of hours plus workout 6 days per week and I wasn't fueling my body properly so I was feeling crappy. I felt much better on 1700 cals and I lost 2 lbs last week (my first week of 1700 cals every day). I'm 3lbs away from my goal and it's true that these are the hardest pounds to lose!
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Too few calories, even at or close to goal weight.

I am 5'6, 134lbs, my goal was 135 but I'm working towards 130 now or so. I eat 1650 / day average but I calorie cycle. This is my biggest advice for the stubborn "last few pounds". You eat an average of X calories per day but you spread them out so you have high and low days. This is what my week looks like right now:

Monday: 1600
    Tuesday: 1325
    Wednesday: 1700
    Thursday: 1500
    Friday: 1750
    Saturday: 1460
    Sunday: 1920

For me the cycling helped me out of a plateau and has kick started my continued weight loss. I have heard it's because your body doesn't get used to the same thing every day and fat will continue to shed, etc.

I match my low days to my high intensity work out days (since I eat back my exercise calories which I also think is important) and I match my high calorie days with low intensity exercise days or rest days.

If you eat too little you slow everything down and hurt yourself big time. At my height and weight I comfortably lose 1 pound per week, or even more, eating 1650 cals a day. And I do eat some convenience foods (more frozen stuff than fast food) because I have kids and a crazy job and don't always have the time. But I make as much fresh goodness as I can swing too. :)

^^ all of this. I vary my calories every day as well, low one day, high the next, right at my calories the next etc etc. That was my main trick I used to keep th scale moving when I lost nearly 100lbs a few years back. And so far it hasn't failed me this go-round either. I also suggest getting AT LEAST the recommended daily water, if not more!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Op...the less weight you have to lose, the slower you should be losing it. 1,200 calories represents about 2 Lbs per week weight loss goal...with very little to lose, you should be at .5 Lbs per week weight loss goal. When you don't have a lot to lose and your calorie goals have that big of a deficit, you burn a lot of lean body mass (i.e. muscle) instead of fat. Your body will also stall metabolism faster with a big deficit when you don't have a lot to lose as it wants to hold onto whatever fat stores it does have.

Personally...this sounds more like a body composition thing than weight loss thing. To change you body composition, you have to lift...you can lose all the weight in the world and if you don't do resistance training, you're still going to look soft (i.e. skinny fat).
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Cut the alcohol -- that helped me break my plateau by 5lbs right away. Make your next drink the one you have at your reception! Think of it as a reward!

Cut the grains -- they might be making you bloated. Try to stick to brown rice and quinoa if you want grains. I even find potatoes less offending then wheat as long as they aren't fried.

Try calorie cycling or intermittent fasting. I "fast" two days a week, usually Tuesdays and Thursdays. That means I don't eat from 6pm Monday night until 6pm Tuesday night. I eat dinner, go to bed, and drink water with lemon or chew gum until Tuesday's dinner. For dinner, I have something light and high in fiber like a salad or fish with steamed broccoli (if I jump into something carby or fatty, I get a nasty stomachache).

Focus on staying active without building too much muscle. Personally, I found that losing those last ten pounds was pretty much impossible when I was focused on exercise and weight lifting. I was gaining muscle and I was hungry all the time. I decided I wanted to lose the fat first and then gain the muscle later. For me personally, trying to focus on both food and exercise at the same time was just too much. After all, abs are really made in the kitchen!

*** This is what worked for me, YMMV! Good luck! ***
  • makeeshaf
    Options
    This was a good post for me to read. I have about 7 pounds of "vanity weight" to lose as well and I'm totally STUCK and have been for about a year. I imagine it's because it's "vanity weight" and not weight I need to lose for health reasons so I would be ok with it except I seem to be continuing to gain a couple pounds every 6 months or so and keeping them on (which is how I got the 7 pounds I now want to lose *again*)

I relate to being better able to switch off the eating completely instead of changing the types of foods.

Also, I have such a hard time accepting the advice to eat more.

From what I can tell, calorie cycling is pretty well documented. Also, someone recommended upping your cardio - that's actually not a great way to lose weight. It's important for health but not really for weight loss (30 minutes of jogging only burns about 300 calories when you're already at a healthy weight). Increasing your muscle mass is what will boost your metabolism. I would however, recommend increasing your cardio for overall health. I like cardio routines that are also weight training just because I find them the easiest to fit into my schedule. I would do 1 day of pure cardio, 1 day of cardio/strength and 1 day of just strength (minimum) and then make sure to increase your heart rate for a sustained 10 minutes each of the remaining days. If you can do it, strength training 4 days a week and cardio 2 days is actually a great plan but I know as well as anyone that it's tough to fit that in.

I don't think you need to cut out the alcohol, just make sure you're eating cleaner so that the calories you DO get are nutritionally dense (and of course, account for that alcohol - an average glass of wine is way more than 1 serving and can pack a calorie punch)