Motorhead in need of tune up ...

I race a BMW and a shifter kart as a hobby and being in shape is critical. At 212lbs I found myself being exhausted in the car on the track after a short 30 minute session. Worse, I entered an indoor enduro kart race with some friends from the BMW club and I was out of steam after only 10 minutes --- so for another 20 minutes I was just hanging on, literally. At my weight and with no stamina I was just not competitive --- and with my experience I should have been the ringer. It was quite sad and I was embarrassed.

Shortly after that event I was promoted into a new overseas job, and during my Expatriate physical they discovered I had a kidney tumor that required immediate surgery to remove the kidney. All went well, and I began walking during my recovery - that was probably the defining moment for change. No, my medical issue was not caused by me being overweight, inactive or unhealthy; however, I hated being in the hospital and want to avoid as many medical issues as possible in the future --- and being healthy is key.

My new job takes me to an isolated location in Africa for 28 days, and then home for 28 days - this was an excellent catalyst for change. It has been about 11 weeks since I embarked on this journey (both job and physical) and things are going quite well - although the weight is coming off slowly. My real goal is to become more active, improve strength and stamina - and for that I have already made big progress.

I started in my comfort zone by lifting weights, some cardio and playing racquetball. Now I have decided to step up my cardio program and do a C25K (Sedentary couch potato to running a 5k). I'm on week 5 day 1 of the 8 week program and it is progressing on schedule. Not sure I'm a runner, but I started something and I won't quit until I am running the 5k and we'll see how it goes from there. I'm still only down 9lbs in 11 weeks, but considering I alternate running with lifting weights, building muscle is likely having something to do with the slow weight loss. I'm ok with that.

I joined MFP last week because I need to do a better job tracking what I eat - especially while I am trying to burn off that 32lbs of excess fat. MFP reminds me of Weight Watchers, where I had a lot of success previously - but never committed to that active lifestyle and, as you can guess, I put the weight back on.

I am convinced that my success will not be based on calorie counting or exercising - it will because of a "Lifestyle Change" to become more active and stay that way. I have the support of my family (they are doing it right along with me), and I look forward to a healthier and more enjoyable life.

Replies