Shin Splints - how do you get rid of them?

Options
Ow - I get shin splints really bad. I typically walk daily. We have bumped up our lunch walks to go fast and longer. We did it gradually and now the shins really kill me only a few minutes into it. I got new shoes this week with insoles for arch support (I have flat feet) and they do not seem to help. Anyone have suggestions?

Walking is free and something I can do daily - just don't want it to hurt anymore.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Stretches afterwards and ice packs.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    You have new shoes, but do you have the correct shoes for you? DId you just pick them up or did you have your stride analyzed.

Try shortening your stride length, walk more on the balls of your feet and increase your turnover rate. The shin splints usually come from over stretched heel striking. To increase speed we tend to overstretch our stride. Cut back to a normal stride length, similar to when you were walking slower and see if it helps.

Hope this helps.
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Stretching before and after...during if you need to. And yes, ice...
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    RICE -rest ice compression and elevation,use the ice 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off for about two hours,should be better in 2 to 3 days.
  • Desiderata
    Desiderata Posts: 91
    Options
    i have chronic shin splints it seems, so i know where youre coming from.

basically, its a combination of the impact your feet has on your shins every time they hits the pavement or treadmill and the muscles surrounding the shin bone cramping and constricting, causing little cracks or splints.

Some people will always have them, due to the line up of the hip to the knee to the ankle, thus causing the way they run or walk to be more harsh compared to other runners, but there are small fixes you can do.

1) always stretch your muscles before and after workouts. every. single. time. this will help relax the muscles surrounding your shins, thus they wont constrict so tightly.

2) where shock absorbent running shoes, to help lesson the shock your foot brings to your shins every time they hit the ground.

3) take vitamin d and calcium supplements to help strengthen your bones, so cracks and splints are less likely to occur

4) run every other day or so. too much running too fast when your body is underprepared to take all the force that comes along with running will cause shins splints most definitely.

hope this helps! it did for me :)
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    Your shoes are very important for preventing shin splints. Your local running store should be able to do a gait analysis for you so that you are in the correct pair of shoes depending on if you pronate (many people with flat feet do this), supinate, or have a neutral gait. It's also a good idea not to increase your distance too quickly, but it sounds like you did it gradually.

For the pain you already have: Stretch, ice, massage and NSAIDs (if needed).
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    go with all the above advice of stretching. but since you say you don't run but walk fast be sure to get a pair of walking or cross training shoes. good luck and have fun while your getting fit
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Ow - I get shin splints really bad. I typically walk daily. We have bumped up our lunch walks to go fast and longer. We did it gradually and now the shins really kill me only a few minutes into it. I got new shoes this week with insoles for arch support (I have flat feet) and they do not seem to help. Anyone have suggestions?

Walking is free and something I can do daily - just don't want it to hurt anymore.

I used to get them when running on uneven ground and playing basketball. I used to stretch in a hot shower and use a towel to pull up your toes.
    And honestly i played sports all through high school and college and depending on how long you've had them, i would consider seeking out some x-rays/bone scan. I have had quite a few friends that theirs turned into stress fractures. So truly be careful and Ice like crazy.
  • hknecht
    hknecht Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your advice. I am going to go check out this local foot store to evaluate my gait and maybe suggest some other shoes. I have tried most of the other ideas - but thanks again!
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints when I was younger. Doubling up on my socks seemed to do the trick. I suppose it's the extra cushion. It's worth a try....