How much strength training do you pros recommend?

Options
So I'm pretty good when it comes to cardio, and I do incorporate some strength when I do cardio. (Treadmill, interval training, high inclines) I just wanna know how much/long strength training do you guys recommend in order to tone your body and keep that lean muscle mass? I do push-ups, various crunches, and planks everyday, but I'm fairly positive this is not enough. haha

Some stats on me if needed...
5'7", 135 lbs, approx 20% body fat
Normal exercise routine is 60 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week, in intervals of 2 minutes of jogging at 4.6mph at a 3.5 incline, followed by 5 minutes of walking at 10.5 incline at 3.6mph. I burn approx 650 calories doing this and I'm at 1300 calories a day for the moment. I eat back a majority of my calories. Like I said, I do a few sets of pushups and crunches daily.

Replies

• MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump please. =)
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is a difficult question since you haven't said anything about your goals.

If you goal is strictly weight loss you could add some "burpees" to your current program and have your major muscle groups covered.

Beyond that there are a number of programs targeted at starting weight training. A quick search of the fourms should start you in the right direction. You might try one of those.