HRM - wearing it all day to see calorie burn?

Options
Hi, has anyone ever wear their HRM for 24hours to see their calorie burn? just curious.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It won't work. A HRM is set up with algorithms to estimate calorie burn based on a significantly raised HR from steady state cardio (running, aerobics, cycling) so if you wear it at rest you'll get greatly exaggerated numbers.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit that I wear all day....it shows me how many calories I burn, steps I take, stairs I climb, etc. I love it.
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    Once I wore mine from the time I woke up until I went to bed. It was a normal day without a workout and just the wake time it said that I burned about 1250-1300. Which would probably be about right since according to all my info in a 24 hour period with no exercise it says I should burn between 1600-1700 just for a normal day. The HRM is better for the workout calculations however.
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It won't work. A HRM is set up with algorithms to estimate calorie burn based on a significantly raised HR from steady state cardio (running, aerobics, cycling) so if you wear it at rest you'll get greatly exaggerated numbers.

^ Agree! If mine is still going and I'm doing very little, if anything, it will show my heart rate way over 200 beats per minute.
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one that I just purchased this week to see what my calorie burn is in a typical day of housework and it seems to be pretty accurate compared to an online calculator. I like it. It is easy to use and you can connect it to your MFP account.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    FitBit or similar for all day - HRM for workouts.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    FitBit or similar for all day - HRM for workouts.

^^This!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Exactly.

BMR is supposed to account for every day calorie burn but if you don't trust that calculation you'll have to get a FitBit or BodyMedia (?) or one of those other wear all day thingies.

I have both... a FitBit for daily activity and my HRM for my workouts.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    An HRM only works during exercise. Check out the BodyMedia if you want something that will measure you all day.
  • windyday61
    windyday61 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone