WWWHHHHYYYY?!!!? weight gain

Options
why is it i gained 4lbs this week when i work out sometime 3x a day and i eat the way im supposed to?
:sad: :sad: :noway: :grumble: :explode:

Replies

• imjenjen00
    Options
    I highly doubt that you ate an extra 14,000 calories in one week to gain 4 pounds of fat. What's your diary look like? Do you foods high in sodium? If you're working out 3 times per day you're probably retaining water.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Are you sure its not muscle? And also.. weight gain can happen for any reason! It doesnt mean you gained fat. It could be a little water retention, muscle building, anything!
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt that you ate an extra 14,000 calories in one week to gain 4 pounds of fat. What's your diary look like? Do you foods high in sodium? If you're working out 3 times per day you're probably retaining water.

^^ This

Take a look at your sodium number and is your excercise regiment a recent change?
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Are you PMSing?? Aunt Flo can be a real b!tch.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Are you sure its not muscle? And also.. weight gain can happen for any reason! It doesnt mean you gained fat. It could be a little water retention, muscle building, anything!
    Muscle takes a long time to build. It can't be that. Water retention most likely.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    because weight fluctuates
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^ This

Take a look at your sodium number and is your excercise regiment a recent change?

^^agreed.

Plus normal water weight fluctuations women get due to our cycle.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    because weight fluctuates

this.you watch the overall patterns.

When I joined MFP, my weight fluctuated in the course of a month between 162 and 174. Two years later it fluctuated between 123 and 128.

You can't let the *kitten* grind ya down!!!!!!!!!!!

...especially when the "*kitten*" are a few pounds of water weight or normall healthy fluctuations.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

At best women build 1/2 lb of muscle a week and that is if they are eating a surplus of calories and have an adequate weight training routine. Which 99% of the users on this board aren't doing. So it's very very unlikely to have any kind of new muscle.

So the answer is water retention.
  • misseenk
    misseenk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    few things i can think of, lean muscle gain is one, if you're working out that much, what type of work outs you do can be building your abs, and calves, thighs, etc...
    sodium over dose! that was my problem, too much water retained in the system, eat some bananas, but not too many, and watch your salt, thiiiinking try giving your body a rest day, just do like 15-20 mins of yoga that day, rest, and watch what you eat so your body has time to adjust and relax and catch up with you
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

At best women build 1/2 lb of muscle a week and that is if they are eating a surplus of calories and have an adequate weight training routine. Which 99% of the users on this board aren't doing. So it's very very unlikely to have any kind of new muscle.

Really?!?!

I hope and pray that's the 15 lbs I gained last year!

it's possible!!! LOL!!!!
  • misseenk
    misseenk Posts: 55 Member
    Options

well i dunno, some cardio consist of steady ab work outs, running also can build calve muscles, she needs to be checking her BMI and Body Fat % in order to be certain about that though

in anycase i agree its probably water retention
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

well i dunno, some cardio consist of steady ab work outs, running also can build calve muscles, she needs to be checking her BMI and Body Fat % in order to be certain about that though

women, new to lifting, eating at a surplus, with an intensive progressive loading lifting program can only gain about 1lb of muscle a month. Eating at a deficit, and outside 1 - 2 lb of total gains, over the whole body, women will not gain muscle.
  • flutterbygrl1
    Options
    thanks for all the advice. my bf did say im gaining muscle too fast and i do get the puffies sometimes. so that makes since. i guess my docs just me freaked out about my metabolism be so slow. seriously, shes a scary chick - no bedside manner! lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

I believe you are confusing lowering your body fat, making muscle visible, with gaining muscle. Like sara said, it taies weight training plus a surplus of calories to create an anabolic state to gain new lean body mass.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I "gained" five pounds between yesterday's weigh-in and today's weigh-in. I didn't eat 17,500 calories yesterday though, I ate around 3000. All of them unhealthy, most of them salty, and I ate up until about 10pm instead my usual last meal being around 7am. I also drank six fewer cups of water than I usually do and drank two sodas (which I have only a handful of times a year). Plus it's the week before TOM.

So that weight on the scale is combo of the food having three fewer hours to digest and "leave the body" in the morning than usual and a fair amount of sodium bloat/water retention. It'll be back to normal soon enough, and so will yours. :)