Lexipro and weight loss

Options
I was recently prescribed Lexipro for anxiety, and I am worried that I will start to gain weight. Although, I am pleased to say that right now, I don't want to eat much on it. I am just worried that once my body adjusts, I will start to gain. Does anyone else have any experience with Lexipro? Does it help or hinder? I would love to hear some personal experiences....

Replies

• aduecker
    Options
    I don't want to discourage you because it does wonders for my mood, but I have gained weight on Lexipro. Everyone is different though and it does have the opposite effect on some people.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I don't want to discourage you, because mental health is SO important.

My hubby gained 40 lbs on Lexapro. But, he has a taste for sweets now he didn't have before, and is sedentary. His weight has evened out though now, and his gain was on the highest dose.

Try it. If the side effects outweigh the benefits, your Dr can help you with something else. Sometimes Wellbutrin combined with Lexapro can even out any side effects (weight gain, low libido etc)

Good luck., and I hope you feel better.:flowerforyou:
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Lexapro was my life saver, I am not taking it since Jan1
    I did gain weight it was not just becasue of the Lexapro
  • silverainn
    Options
    The medications that did cause weight gain for me (ones I took for Tourette's), did so because they increased appetite and sedated me to the point I couldn't really do much. I didn't gain weight on Lexipro. It didn't work for me, but it didn't affect appetite or have any major side effects either. It's true that everyone responds differently, so it will be hard to compare others' experiences to your own. You'll know after 6 weeks or so how your body will react long term. Hope it helps your anxiety :)
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have heard such wide ranges of opinions! I am hoping that I will adjust to it.... so far my appetite is diminished greatly. I get full way faster... but I am tired and lack motivation. That is the tough part.... I hope it gets better!
  • lesliev523
    Options
    bump... anyone else?
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hello - I've been taking Cipralex for almost 5 years since having horrible depression after my daughter. I recently read a book called The Serotonin Diet. It was designed for individuals who have gained weight d/t antidepressants. They also have a facebook page. Adding something not so "clean" to my diet has helped me a lot to control my appetite and cravings for. I have learned that one of the worst things I could have done was follow a higher protein diet while on ad's.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am on Cipralex and it has not effected my weight loss in any way.
  • lesliev523
    Options
    Thank you! I will look at the seratonin diet.... I appreciate the info!
  • meekabee
    meekabee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on lexapro...
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Everyone's experience is different on ad's. The general consensus is that they can lead to weight gain, however the mechanism of how or why is not clearly understood. I do have a friend who lost a ton of weight when she started Cipralex because she used food to deAL with her depression. Once she treated the depression, she started losing. I on the other hand have never had an issue with food or weight until I started the meds. I think some people feel it is a losing situation, so they just say "what the hell" and eat whatever. However I try hard to remind myself that what I eat matters, and eating a tub of ice cream may kill the craving but certainly won't improve my mood in the long run.