What kind of HRM do you have?

Options
And would you recommend it?

Replies

• cardswimmom
    cardswimmom Posts: 71
    Options
    Just got a Polor F6 this week after many recommendations from here, LOVE it! Still trying to figure out everything it does but love the fact that I know exactly how many calories I am burning and knowing my HR @ all times during exercise. Would definitely recommend it. Found it on Amazon.com.
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had a Suunto T3c for several years and loved it. I just replaced it with a Suunto T6c a couple of weeks ago and am loving the T6c even more.

I looked at Polar brand to replace my old Suunto, but didn't like the fact that you can't replace the battery yourself in Polar HRMs (who's got time to send it off and wait?) and I seem to recall being told that you can't swim in it, though that may have been the Garmin. I can accept it not measuring my HR while swimming (my Suunto doesn't do that, either), but I really need to be able to wear it while swimming.

I bought both Suunto HRMs from Amazon and strongly recommend them. I've been very happy with their durability and performance.

YMMV. Good luck.
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Found that Sears has Polar F4 (older model)on clearance. Quite a savings, easy to use and works great!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    polar ft7- heard its very similar to the f6, but with a more comfortable chest strap. I absolutely love mine! It is more accurate than putting it into an online calculator or from the machine. I found I was overestimating calories burned before having one.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    also, with the ft7, you can replace the batteries yourself! With the polar f6, you cannot.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I would like to know as well since their are so many differences between exercises and the calories burned. For the most part some of the websites are the same, but machines vary. It would be nice to know exactly what is going on with my body. I looked on ebay and amazon, but I am just not sure what to look for.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    tagging.... I'm interested in the recs also! :bigsmile:
  • cardswimmom
    cardswimmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I had a Suunto T3c for several years and loved it. I just replaced it with a Suunto T6c a couple of weeks ago and am loving the T6c even more.

I looked at Polar brand to replace my old Suunto, but didn't like the fact that you can't replace the battery yourself in Polar HRMs (who's got time to send it off and wait?) and I seem to recall being told that you can't swim in it, though that may have been the Garmin. I can accept it not measuring my HR while swimming (my Suunto doesn't do that, either), but I really need to be able to wear it while swimming.

I bought both Suunto HRMs from Amazon and strongly recommend them. I've been very happy with their durability and performance.

YMMV. Good luck.

Actually you can swim in the Polor F6 (which I do). The battery thing doesn't really bother me...
  • woody717
    woody717 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have a Polar RS300X, I like it alot and it definelty takes you to the next level, mine has the footpod as well. I kind of wish I had got the Garmin with the gps at this point. Just for pacing and distance accuracy. But I'm not sure which is the best fitness charcterization tool.

In general the HRM will give you a better idea of calories burned during workout and allows for intensity and goal making with fitness!

-Woody
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I use a MIO Classic wrist watch. I love it. Some say it is not as accurate but I take regular readings and it is working awesome for me. I love it :smile:

I think I like mine so much because it does not have a chest strap. I were mine as a watch and have it with me at all times. So if I don't plan on doing any exercise and I pick the kids up from school then we decide to go for a hike in the forest by their school I have it with me. Nothing to do but turn on the HRM part.
  • daniellevargas
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7, I love it!!!! I love how it breaks down how much time you spend in each target zone. Its my new BFF! LOL
  • immacookie
    Options
    I use a MIO Classic wrist watch. I love it. Some say it is not as accurate but I take regular readings and it is working awesome for me. I love it :smile:

I've been curious about these! In order to get a reading do you always have to put two fingers on the watch (band?) for a few seconds... or does it automatically read your pulse somehow?

Also a question for those with chest strap styles - I've tried to use DH's (not sure what brand) and also borrowed a friend's older Polar and on both of them I had issues getting a continuous/correct reading. I tried multiple times, pulling the strap tighter (to the point it was uncomfortable and cutting into my skin) and same result. Not sure what I'm doing wrong (I am just slightly over 5ft tall, so not sure if the petiteness has a play in how the band fits)??
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

I've been curious about these! In order to get a reading do you always have to put two fingers on the watch (band?) for a few seconds... or does it automatically read your pulse somehow?

Also a question for those with chest strap styles - I've tried to use DH's (not sure what brand) and also borrowed a friend's older Polar and on both of them I had issues getting a continuous/correct reading. I tried multiple times, pulling the strap tighter (to the point it was uncomfortable and cutting into my skin) and same result. Not sure what I'm doing wrong (I am just slightly over 5ft tall, so not sure if the petiteness has a play in how the band fits)??

You put your 2 fingers on the watch to take the reading. I don't mind it and I usually do it as I am walking or working out between sets.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin and a Timex (piece of you know what!). I love the garmin, but I need to upgrade to the newest version since I have become more picky about my time (it's blue tooth and has automatic pause when I stop at lights and such while running (and now biking!).
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options

YMMV. Good luck.

You can wear a Polar in the water to record your HR while swimming, and that is why you must send it in to have the battery switched, so that it will be properly sealed. You can do it yourself, but then if something goes wrong you may not be able to get it repaired under warranty.

I have a Polar F-11 and I love it.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options

For the polar strap you have to wet the two transmitter strips in order to get an accurate and continuous reading.
  • immacookie
    Options

You put your 2 fingers on the watch to take the reading. I don't mind it and I usually do it as I am walking or working out between sets.

Thanks for the info!! I think I would prefer the continuous report - but hate the strap. :laugh:
  • immacookie
    Options

For the polar strap you have to wet the two transmitter strips in order to get an accurate and continuous reading.

Ahhh.. ok... didn't think of trying that. I'll try DH's tonight and see if I can get it to work - although it's probably a hunk of junk since he informed me he got it free with some DVD years ago (I asked what brand it was). I may have to look at getting a GOOD one for it to work right.
  • immacookie
    Options
    DH's HRM is officially a hunk of junk... it just kept beeping the whole time I was trying to use it. No "brand" on it, hey it was free. LOL

So it looks like the Polar FT7 is the popular model??
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    DH's HRM is officially a hunk of junk... it just kept beeping the whole time I was trying to use it. No "brand" on it, hey it was free. LOL

So it looks like the Polar FT7 is the popular model??

It's probably set up for him and he probably has the alarm set on it to let him know that he is not at his target HR.