Under my daily calories but over my Carb allowance! HELP!

Options
Hi everyone,

Just started on MFP! I am 5ft 2'', female, 33 and 157lbs. My goal is to get to 140lb or a bit lower.

I have settled on eating 1500 cal a day, despite MFP saying I should eat 1200. I am relatively active and on my feet all day, with a four year old to keep me busy when I get home!

My dilemma today is that I am under my daily calories by 196 but have gone over my carbs for the day. (Still under on protein and fat). So should I eat my 196 calories and just let the carbs go over some more, or not eat any more!

What is more important to lose weight.....the calories or the carb/protein/fat ratio?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

Alicia x :smile:

Replies

• JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Total calories is most important.

Substitute meat for fruit.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What percentage are you set at? 30% carbs? 40% carbs? 50% carbs? Some people are more sensitive to changes in macros but in general the calories are more important.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Protein is a minimum goal. I exceed it. You can change your macro settings to reflect your personal goals.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    What is your macros (percentage of carb/fat/protein) and can we see your diary? Without knowing what your eating how can we suggest a fix?
  • kimimila86
    Options
    Unless you have issues with your organs (like kidney function) or hormone imbalances, these macros are not set in stone and the overall calorie count is most important. Quality, not quantity! :drinker:
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I asked almost the same question the other day and everyone told me calories are the most important. Try to stay close to your ratios, but if they are off slightly it is ok as long as you have your calories :)
  • aliciaeve79
    aliciaeve79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I have just set my diary to public so that you can have a look.

My current settings are for 40% Carbs, 25% Fat and 35% Protein.

Alicia. x
  • JohnDun
    JohnDun Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi
    Dont bother with the carbs as such, just make sure its not like 1000 times over. As for being under the cal count for the day, well I have mine at 1660 cals a day but burn off at least 1000 in the gym, so it leaves me 2650 cals to use up, in the last week I have had more negative than anything and have not hit the 1660 at all.

J
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    what kind of carbs? If you're doing complex carbohydrates that should help curb your appetite.
  • jenniferarnold619
    Options
    Alicia,

Every person varies a little. What is important is that your diet is balanced. However, a tip for a day like yours is eat a serving of plain almonds or mozzarella string cheese. I don't really know what your diet looks like on a regular basis but those are two of my go to snacks that are low carb, healthy, high protien and a good return for calories.

I personally pay attention to my carbs because diabetes runs very prevalent in my family. However I don't skimp on carbs or freak out if I go over. Carbs give you the bursts of engery you need when you are chasing the baby around the house. Pay attention to the kind of carbs you are eating. Are they coming from a lot of white starches like white rice, white bread, white potatoes (not sweet potaotes), bready sweets or just plain sugar? If so, consider replacing them with the "brown" versions- brown rice, whole wheat bread and sweet potatoes. Also look at how many grams of sugar is in the food. THAT tells you specifically how many grams of those carbs are specifically sugar. Instead of eating a bunch of gummie bears for your sweet fix, try a healthy sweet like non- fat yougurt. Another thing to consider with those carbs are fiber and/or other nutritional values in that food. Generally speaking, the less the food has to be processed (stays closer to its natural state) the better it is for you AND will have more fiber.

I hope that helps you.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are getting carbs from grains and fruit, which isn't a bad thing at all. Try adding more lean meats like turkey and chicken and limit the meats that have more fat like eggs (don't cut them out, just limit them a little)

Also a fantastic way to keep the carbs and protein high with fat low is a protein smoothie (if you like smoothies) getting a protein isolate will lower the carbs and fat while increasing your protein intake and that can offset your carb/fat to be closer to what you need it to be. :)

Experiement with the food diary a bit and see what evens out, I try to plan my day within 300 calories of my targeted intake and try to balance it out so I know what to eat and am not leaving myself guessing.
  • aliciaeve79
    aliciaeve79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!! Great advice! : )