What is the best way to add protein to a veg diet?

Options
I have 35% goal of protein and I have find myself missing it. Any suggestions on quick protein adds. I already have a protein bar (10g) added to my daily snack.

I am not sure if I should go to the 20 g bar. One it makes me feel very full. Second most of these cars ar 300 calories + with lots of sugar.

Any other ideas?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt. One container of the Fage brand has 18 grams of protein.

Eggs are another great source.

Quinoa

Tempeh

Nuts/seeds

Also, I am assuming by "veg" you mean vegetarian and not vegan.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Seitan (as long as you are not gluten intolerant)
    Soy milk
    Almond milk
    Coconut milk
    Dairy milk (if you are not vegan)
    Yogurt (dairy, almond, coconut, soy, whatever)
    Nuts
    Meat replacers like Morningstar Farms (though some contain gluten and dairy, so use as appropriate for you)
    Whole grain pastas
    Eggs (if you are not vegan)
    Cottage cheese (again....if you are not vegan)

Cheese (dairy or nondairy)
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Stop being a vegetarian.

Hey, you asked for the BEST way...
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Beans. Nuts. Peanut butter. Dairy products.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Stop being a vegetarian.

No, she asked for the best way to add protein to a vegetarian diet. That's not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Stop being a vegetarian.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Now that's pretty funny.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Soy milk
    Almond milk
    Coconut milk
    Nuts
    Meat replacers like Morningstar Farms (though some contain gluten and dairy, so use as appropriate for you)
    Whole grain pastas

Great post!
    I would also add Quorn and protein shake
  • SororLuna
    Options
    peanut butter on apple slices

hummus - you can dip carrot, celery, pepper, or cucumber in, yummy

beans - white beans, like great northern beans, are lovely when cooked in a pan with chard (big beautiful greens that look kind of like big spinach); add garlic, salt, pepper, and a little bit of white wine vinegar.

"Quorn" - buy it in the freezer section - many options.

soy burgers, soy hot dogs, soy corn dogs, tofurkey, soy yogurt.

According to John Robbins, if you get at least one servings of beans per day, AND you are getting your recommended calorie intake, then you will have plenty of protein (reference: Diet for a New America, p. 177 - 185), because, while vegetables and grains do not have as much protein as meat, they do, in fact, have more than people think, and it adds up.

another idea - lentils are great and cook quickly. If you make a veggie soup, you can add a cup or so of lentils, great fiber and protein.

remember, whole wheat products and other grains have protein too. Try different grains for variety like barley, rye, millet, wild rice, if you want to avoid wheat/flour. Oatmeal is good as well.

Here is a link to a page, where I found a chart kind of like the one in the book I mentioned above, where they show you a couple of typical daily menus with adequate protein on a Vegan diet, as well as a list of vegan sources of proteins, and their protein content:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
  • chica6578
    chica6578 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    im not a vegetarian ( i love my meat, ) but im having a tough time tying to figure out how to get 150g of protien in my diet, without having to drink a protien shake everyday.
  • hms142002
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes I am vegetarian and not a vegan.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Soy milk
    Almond milk
    Coconut milk
    Nuts
    Whole grain pastas

Great list! Beans and lentils are also good sources of protein.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    Lentils! I make a pot full on Sundays and throw them into all kind of things throughout the week. Cook them in some broth and herbs, om nom nom.
  • dakotawitch
    Options
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Soy milk
    Almond milk
    Coconut milk
    Nuts
    Whole grain pastas

Great post!
    I would also add Quorn and protein shake

Thanks! I can't bring myself to do the Quorn products after reading about the science behind them :) but I know a lot of folks who really like them. The Gardein products are also EXCELLENT, especially the "steak" tips. I keep the Bolthouse Farms and Odwalla protein drinks around for when I have a hurried morning or when I need a protein boost.
  • dakotawitch
    Options
    Lentils! I make a pot full on Sundays and throw them into all kind of things throughout the week. Cook them in some broth and herbs, om nom nom.

OMGs, can't believe I forgot lentils! They are awesome. I have a recipe for lentil taco filling on my blog (http://freerangetofu.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/lentil-tacos/ that is fabulous. I also have used the same technique to make a veggie bolognese-style pasta sauce that was lovely.
  • dakotawitch
    Options
    im not a vegetarian ( i love my meat, ) but im having a tough time tying to figure out how to get 150g of protien in my diet, without having to drink a protien shake everyday.

It sounds weird, but one thing that is actually really good and high in protein is to take a hardboiled egg white, dip it in hummus, and nom away. The yolk will be gross, so either toss it or save them to use in egg salad or deviled eggs. The white is just sort of a protein-rich "carrier" for the hummus. Between the egg protein and the chickpea protein, you'll get a good protein boost.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into superfoods? Spirulina is apparently a great source of protein, but I'd do your own research to see if it meets your needs.
  • courtwhitear
    courtwhitear Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Why do you need 150g of protein a day!? Unless you are a heavy lifter or body builder, that is wayyyy too much, especially if you are getting that protein from processed meats, cheeses, and dairy.
  • courtwhitear
    courtwhitear Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Soy milk
    Almond milk
    Coconut milk
    Nuts
    Whole grain pastas

Great list! Beans and lentils are also good sources of protein.

I second this list!! There are so many great ways to get proteins in your diet. A GREAT recipe app is the Whole Foods Recipe app...and their recipes have a lot of balances meals. Good luck! I eat a fairly restricted meat diet (I don't eat red meat or pork, as they tend to be the most processed) but I do eat fish and poultry and I eat about 15% of my calories from protein. I don't really think it is necessary to eat protein "bars" or even shakes unless you're trying to build more muscle from weight lifting and in that case, eat protein immediately following a hard workout. That's when you need it most. Anyways, a lot of great advice on here! Good luck!
  • LemonMint6
    Options
    Plantfusion Protein Powder http://plantfusion.net/products.html
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have 35% goal of protein and I have find myself missing it. Any suggestions on quick protein adds. I already have a protein bar (10g) added to my daily snack.

I am not sure if I should go to the 20 g bar. One it makes me feel very full. Second most of these cars ar 300 calories + with lots of sugar.

Any other ideas?

The protein bars help. Get a higher protein amount one and split it in half. Have half for your AM snack and half for your PM snack. Protein shakes are great. Greek yogurt has a lot of protein... regular yogurt has a good chunk too. Cheese, milk, eggs/egg whites, peanut butter, nut butters, nuts, edamame, tofu, the veggie meat substitutes, ... there are TONS of ways to add protein to your diet.