Any asthmatic sportspeople?

Options
Hello! I've been running on and off for a few years and got back into it recently. I also swim a lot and have just started riding a bike again after cleaning years of dust off it!
My barrier seems to be the asthma. It pees me right off to have to take more medication than usual because I'm running/ swimming/ bike riding. I'm not too overweight anymore and I'm quite fit but my lungs just don't seem to get it! Does anyone know of any documentaries on this problem? I can't find any that aren't just 'You can do it!' type things. I need some guidance .
When I think I used to use the asthma as a kid to get out of doing exercise!!!!! Dammit!!!

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to see what people say.

I've found since starting running I'm using my reliever inhaler (Ventolin) far more. As a result my steroid inhaler dose (Qvar) has been doubled by my GP practice nurse and I'm also on a tablet (Singulair). I've also discussed a different inhaler with her (she calls it a Turbohaler - I think it has both steroid and reliever in, but I need to do some research). The plan is to increase my preventative meds so that I can reduce the reliever meds. The cold weather doesn't help either, as it really sets my wheezing off, so I suspect I won't really be able to tell the difference until the weather warms up a bit.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been running on and off for a few years and got back into it recently. I also swim a lot and have just started riding a bike again after cleaning years of dust off it!
    My barrier seems to be the asthma. It pees me right off to have to take more medication than usual because I'm running/ swimming/ bike riding. I'm not too overweight anymore and I'm quite fit but my lungs just don't seem to get it! Does anyone know of any documentaries on this problem? I can't find any that aren't just 'You can do it!' type things. I need some guidance .
    When I think I used to use the asthma as a kid to get out of doing exercise!!!!! Dammit!!!

Shall we assume that environmental triggers are at play here?

edited to add:
    You need to identify what is causing the flares in order to set a good plan for prevention. Environmental triggers (allergies) is usually a big part of it. If that is the case, you need to look into controlling your allergies before using stronger preventative asthma meds. Most of the time, people with asthma have multiple triggers but if you can control one you are likely able to make the others less severe (such as the exercise induced attacks). Also, as you get fitter you will experience less exercise induced attacks.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma, mine has improved a lot since becoming fitter. Now I only need to use an inhaler when it is cold out.

Working on breathing while running (using a pressure breathing techique and taking slow deep breaths) can help quite a bit
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I also have exercise induced asthma. As a teen it was real bad, but now it really only flares up if I over exert in the cold weather.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I have never had asthma, but my son does and I've seen how debilitating it can be. I got really sick back in August with bronchitis, had to take antibiotics AND two different inhalers just to stop coughing. It took forever to feel better. Now I can't run without hitting the albuterol. I can feel my whole chest tightening up as I'm running and it's a total pain in the *kitten*. I hear ya!

p.s. I don't smoke.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Nitabug36
    Options
    I have asthma and my doctor recommend that I take my inhaler 30 minutes before I workout, it seems to help the coughing I use to do when working out....
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I"ve had asthma since I was 2. Mostly I've outgrown it, but I do use Flovent during the fall and winter months as a preventative, and I always have Albuterol handy--just in case. The only time I really have a problem with exercise and asthma is when it's very cold and I'm sucking in lungfuls of cold air.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed me the inhaler Flovent two years ago. I feel like I've been cured! But I have allergy and exercise induced asthma, so I take it every night before bed. I also have to carry around a rescue inhaler in case of an attack, which has only happened around allergens.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and my doctor recommend that I take my inhaler 30 minutes before I workout, it seems to help the coughing I use to do when working out....

Mine did too, and that helps immensely and I need to use less taking it prophylactically instead of when symptoms occur. I also am doing allergy shots and that has helped too. But frankly, ignore the "You can do it cheerleaders" Asthma is a legitimate medical condition that can lead to death. If something is causing you too much trouble in that manner, switch to something that doesn't.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Mine did too, and that helps immensely and I need to use less taking it prophylactically instead of when symptoms occur. I also am doing allergy shots and that has helped too. But frankly, ignore the "You can do it cheerleaders" Asthma is a legitimate medical condition that can lead to death. If something is causing you too much trouble in that manner, switch to something that doesn't.

I understand, but I can't just not do something because my asthma dictates. I need to know how to run with it, as it were! If Paula Ratcliff can do it, so can I but I just don't know how. I'll try the inhaler half an hour before thing.