Exercising and gaining weight

Options
Hi everyone,

So I've been on my weight loss journey for over a month now. I started at 235lbs. I recently got a heart rate monitor and that has motivated me to exercise. So I started working out for the last four days and that scale is moving up. It's definitely not muscles so what's going on??? It's defoently discouraging to say the least.

Replies

• marta07
    marta07 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    im having the same problem . i think its water weight because your muscle needs repairing after excersise
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. That happens when you start a new exercise regimen. Hydrate like a beast and keep at it, don't touch the scale for a few weeks and you'll see the number go back down again.
  • NurseKristi81
    NurseKristi81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am having the same exact issue and I always do when I start a strict exercise regime....Its hard to keep plugging away at it when you see the number on that scale keep going up up and up! I do notice the inches peeling off though so keep your heads up!:) It will eventually level itself out:)
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself as much. The scale fluctuates especially for women, we retain and hormones make weigh-ins no fun. Just keep logging your food and working out. If you are not eating more than 3,500 calories a day you are not gaining fat so don't be preoccupied with the scale, it can be discouraging. Focus on how much stronger or faster you are getting or how much bigger your pants are on you the scale will move eventually ;)
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should freak over a small weight change in one week. I can gain or lose that much in a week too. If you are lifting weights, put the scale away and focus on how your clothes fit. If you aren't lifting weights, consider starting! It changed my physique for the better!

Also, make sure the addition of cardio isn't causing you to eat more. As long as you are consistent with your program you'll lose weight. Just don't get discouraged. Keep going!
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    I gain weight when I first start working out or do anything new to my diet, but it will even itself out and you will lose weight as long as your diet stays in check, too.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    It's just muscles holding water because your, not used to exercising. Know it feels discouraging but it's not a real gain. Take a rest day or twin before your official weigh in and you'll see the water go away. Try to step away from the scale for a week or two for now. Know that at first your body will freak out, but exercising is good for you on so many levels and in a few weeks it will all come good again, and you'll be getting fitter and healthier too... Keep it up!

Get someone to hide the scale for 2 weeks... Stick to your food and exercise they go and look at them and get a nice surprise. I know when I've started a new exercise routine it can take 2/3 weeks but then the weight starts flying again. Water weight can easily account for 5lbs!

Zara x
  • leanneakaliz
    leanneakaliz Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It is just water weight. when you use muscles that you dont normally use when exercising it creates little tears. Your muscles then absorb the water to repair these tears which is why you will gain weight when starting new exercises your body isnt used to. Every time you feel a little achey or heavy if youve eaten right water is usually the main reason behind the gain on the scale. It is going to sound really bizarre but to get rid of water weight the quickest way is to drink more water. Trust me it works. One week I did a Jillian Michaels all cardio dvd the next day i gained 3lbs but stuck to my diet and drank about 4 glasses more than I would normally. 4 days later I dropped the 3lbs water weight and an additional 2lbs :D

Stick to it it will come off :D
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    You are weighing yourself too often if you know you gained weight within 4 days of working out. Your body retains water when you exercise, it is part of the body healing process.

Throw away the stinkin scale or at least put is somewhere you can't step on it every time you enter the room and start using a tape measure!
  • hibo25
    hibo25 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow! U guys rock! Thanks so much for the feedback! I think it is water retention because after every night of exercising, my legs, especially my calves feel incredibly swollen! So I've been drinking over 14 glasses of water a day. Im also finding that i use to go to the bathroom a lot because of all the water but now I dont pee as often. Weird! I hate water retention!