Food that's high in calories?

Options
I barely hit 1200 calories consumed each day, with my workouts, I'm supposed to consume a total of about 1800 calories. Are there any foods that are HIGH in calories, and still fairly healthy? The problem is, i can't eat a lot without feeling bloated, so just adding more stuff, or increasing portion sized won't help

Replies

• chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Nuts.
  • AfreezeAdventure
    AfreezeAdventure Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Throughout the day eat a hand full of nuts here and there. You'll find your calorie's will raise quickly.

if you eat a lot of salads use oils..they're high in calories as well. (I have an olive oil that 1 tbsp has 120 calories)
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Avocados. I smash them up and use them as a spread rather than mayo or mustard on my sandwiches or wraps.
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter will get you up there.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    nuts, nut butters (peanut butter, almond butter), avocados, granola (I love mixing some granola in with yogurt).
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yep, nuts, or trail mix. For the trail mix, buy the kind where the dried fruit doesn't have added sugar or make your own from your favorite nuts, dried fruits, and chocolate pieces (you gotta live a little...). Plain dried fruit is also a good way to add calories with less bulk.

You can add calories to salads with sunflower seeds or pine nuts. Slices of avocado will add calories to sandwiches or salads as well.

And I know this wasn't your question, but you should discuss this with your doctor! Acid reflux can make you feel bloated or full even though you haven't eaten too much. There are diet modifications and medicines that can help, if that's your issue.
  • starrisonmclennon
    starrisonmclennon Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bananas
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas here already. I took a peek at your diary, and I would suggest you to stop eating "diet" foods such as skim milk, egg substitute, SmartOnes, FiberOne, etc.

Full fat dairy (or even bumping up to 2%) will not add volume to your meals but will add calories. Use whole eggs instead of just the whites or egg substitutes. Look into trying regular granola instead of low-fat. I noticed you eat a lot of sandwiches--drizzle with oil and vinegar and add a few olives.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary I noticed that you drinking fat free milk. If you can't reach your calorie goal, drink 3.25% milk instead. Your fat intake is very low and your body could use it. There are post about how fat does not make you fat and higher calorie foods if you do a search on it. Also don't be scared to eat more protein as well, again do a search on it. I also don't see much for veggies either, but that is just the mother in me. LOL I'm no expert so please research and you should find what you are looking for.:smile:
  • That_car_is_full_of_balloons
    Options
    Fruit smoothies. Mangos, bananas, dates.

Blend 10 medjool dates with some water and drink. That's over 600 calories.

I also like Bolthouse Farms Strawberry-Banana smoothie. The 32 oz. bottle has 520 calories.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Cheese, peanut butter, nuts are all good.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas here already. I took a peek at your diary, and I would suggest you to stop eating "diet" foods such as skim milk, egg substitute, SmartOnes, FiberOne, etc.

Full fat dairy (or even bumping up to 2%) will not add volume to your meals but will add calories. Use whole eggs instead of just the whites or egg substitutes. Look into trying regular granola instead of low-fat. I noticed you eat a lot of sandwiches--drizzle with oil and vinegar and add a few olives.

This...stop with the no-fat stuff.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    16 plain almonds = 160 calories

2 tbsp regular cream cheese spread on half a whole-wheat bagel = 215 calories

1/2 avocado = 160 calories (Fun fact: avocados are poisonous to just about everything except humans. Revel in this fact, because they are delicious.)

2 tbsp peanut butter = 190 calories

8 oz whole milk = 147 calories

1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt = 114 calories

5 fun-size Hershey's Special Dark chocolate bars = 170 calories
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Cheese.
    Eat some cubes of cheddar with a few whole wheat crakers, you'd be surprised!
  • skyline2055
    skyline2055 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    NUTS
  • huuxue
    huuxue Posts: 23
    Options
    avocados, nuts, full fat dairy, olive oil, full fat salad dressings, etc... Have you tried drinking your calories? Maybe a glass of 100% natural fruit juice in the morning?