Any recipe ideas for beans?

Options
efirkey
efirkey Posts: 298 Member
I love beans and I know they are super healthy. I currently make chili, humus, lentil soup, and rice and beans.

Does anyone have any other great ideas where beans are the main staple of the meal? Thanks.

Replies

• pbrogle
    pbrogle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out this recipe. http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/08/snow-cap-bean-stew-quinoa-veggies-herbs.html
    I made it a few weeks ago and it was tasty.
    Good luck.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Fagioli all'Uccelletto

1 pound dry white beans
    1/2 cup olive oil (reduce to 1/4 cup if you want to lower fat content, but the olive oil is important for flavor)
    1 14-16 ounce can of tomatoes (diced or whole)
    3 minced garlic cloves (add more to taste if you like...I usually do!)
    1 tablespoon rubbed sage

Wash beans and soak them overnight. Rinse, drain, add fresh water to cover, and cook for an hour or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. While beans are in colander, put the olive oil in the empty pot you just cooked the beans in, add garlic, and cook until fragrant and beginning to turn golden. Add tomatoes and their liquid, sage, and beans. Simmer uncovered about 20 minutes if you like your beans to keep their shape, or 45 minutes to an hour if you like the liquid thicker and the beans mushier. You may need to add some of the reserved cooking liquid if they look dry--sometimes I need to add some, sometimes I don't.

Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes a thick, garlicky bean stew that is absolutely delicious...especially when served with crusty bread and red wine, if it fits your macros. For 6 servings, the calories should be 386, fat 18.7 grams when made with the half cup of olive oil. I haven't figured for the lower amount.

A quicker version can be made with canned beans--it won't be as good, but will do if you're pressed for time.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I thought about making a pasta fagioli soup like the olive garden version
  • tsimmons5918
    tsimmons5918 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This was delish!

6 cups cooked brown rice

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained

4 fresh tomatoes, diced

1/2 cup red onion, chopped

1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

2 dashes hot sauce

Directions:

Cook brown rice.

In a medium bowl, combine black beans, corn, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, oil, salt, pepper and hot sauce.

To serve, Place a scoop of hot rice in a bowl or on a plate, top with a generous scoop of the black bean mixture.

Stir together before eating.
  • Melissasue29624
    Options
    how about black bean brownies?? I made these once about 8 years ago when I was on Weight Watchers..had some guests that weekend and their son still talks about how good those brownies were! lol... just throwing it out there, IDK if the carbs would be too much for you..also I guess you could find something else besides regular brownie mix that might help with the carbs and sugar
    ETA: not a main course dish lol, but I thought someone might like em!

Found this recipe online:

Black Bean Brownies
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 20 servings • Serving Size: 1 brownie • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 138.1 • Fat: 2.6 g • Protein: 2.9 g • Carb: 28 g • Fiber: 1.8 g

15 oz can black beans
    19.5 oz box chocolate brownie mix
    Open can of beans, drain and rinse well. Put beans back in the can and fill can with water. Put beans and water in blender until smooth. Mix pureed beans with brownie package mix. DO NOT add eggs or oil. Spray baking dish with Pam. Cook brownies according to package directions. Cool and serve.
  • jpreslar
    jpreslar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband is from the south and loves what he calls "Soup Beans", they are delicious! The ham hock lends a smoky, meaty taste without all the calories.

soak 3 cups of dried pinto beans overnight
    in a LARGE pot add the beans, 9 cups of water, 1 medium onion chopped, and one ham hock.
    bring to a boil, then simmer for 2-3 hours, depending on how soft you like the beans.
    salt and pepper to taste, that's it!

PS- your house will smell awesome when you make these! The can also be cooked in a slow cooker on low for 8 hours, but I think the stovetop takes better.
  • jdavis36
    jdavis36 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I sautee a mixture of beans (black, cannelinni, butter, any) with slivered onions in garlic and olive oil, add canned chopped tomatoes, simmer for about and hour and serve over spaghetti squash....yumm
  • MariaAkeroyd
    MariaAkeroyd Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The receipe calls to "Mash the beans, but I do not. I continue to boil (and stir with spatula) until sauce thickens. Enjoy!

1 tablespoon olive oil
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 large jalapeño chili, seeded, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon (generous) ground cumin
    2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
    1 14 1/2-ounce can low-salt chicken broth
    Fresh lime juice
    Chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chili and cumin and sauté 30 seconds. Add beans and broth and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Coarsely mash beans with potato masher. Continue boiling until thick, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    Southern Caviar

can black beans rinsed
    can garbanzo beans rinsed
    can black eyed pease rinsed
    can diced green chiles rinsed
    red, orange, & yellow pepper diced
    red onion diced
    Balsamic vinegar and olive oil (just enough to coat everything).
    You can really use any combo of beans you want and add corn too. So delicious and very high fiber :)
  • Beans on toast. Cook up some beans in tasty sauce of your choice and put them on Melba toast or whole wheat bread. Yum.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi efirkey
    I love beans and I know they are super healthy. I currently make chili, humus, lentil soup, and rice and beans.

Does anyone have any other great ideas where beans are the main staple of the meal? Thanks.

I love beans too. My favourites are canneloni, bortolli, chickpea and puy lentil.
    I recommend a couple of vegetarian recipe books that will give you a raft of bean recipes from around the world.
    World Vegetarian Cooking by Madhur Jaffrey, and
    Eastern Vegetarian Cooking by Madhur Jaffrey.
    They are very worthwhile publications.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Who needs a recipe? Just make a pot of beans, add a cornbread muffin and call it a meal.

I like pinto beans with a couple dashes of red Tabasco or navy beans with a few good shakes of green pepper vinegar.

Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. I think I'll cook up a pot of beans this week.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • whiskeyblue22
    Options
    I was just stuffing my face with black bean salsa.

Southwestern Black Bean Salad

Ingredients:

1 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
    9 oz frozen corn, thawed
    1 tomato, chopped
    1 small hass avocado, diced
    1/4 cup red onion, chopped
    1 scallion, chopped
    1 lime, juice of
    3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tbsp cilantro
    salt and fresh pepper
    Directions:
    Combine beans, corn, tomato, onion, scallion, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix with lime juice and olive oil. Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes. Add avocado before serving.

Servings: 12 • Size: 1/2 cup
    Calories: 105.9 • Fat: 6.0 g • Protein: 3.2 g • Carb: 13.0 g • Fiber: 3.6 g Sugar: 1.2 g
    Sodium: 137.8 mg

Source: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/06/southwestern-black-bean-salad.html
  • SuzieQ2u6
    Options
    I love beens too and helps regulate my blood sugard, I too would like some new receipts.
    I take dried beans, pinto and make some red beans and use them for filling in burrios
    Black eyed peas (don't know if these are classifed as beans) anyway,
    I take onion, red and green bell peppers, saute in pan with a little bit of oilive oil
    add turkey saugage, cook for about 10, 15 mins
    add tomato Juice and 2 cans of blackeyed peas
    simmer 20 to 25 minutes and serve with corn bread if desired

My kids love this dish so much they cook it themselves!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Made Hot Bean Dip for the first time last week, using my own home-cooked pintos.
    Sorry, no recipe, but I used the following:
    1 package cream cheese, 1 jar Trader Joe's Yellow Salsa, 1 C Trader Joe's shredded mexican cheese, 2 blenders-full home-cooked pinto beans, 1 C finely chopped onion, salt, garlic powder, 1T mild chili powder, 1tsp paprika
    Blend beans and cream cheese and salsa together in blender. Stir in other ingredients and heat in crockpot.

It. Was. Awesome!
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    how about black bean brownies?? I made these once about 8 years ago when I was on Weight Watchers..had some guests that weekend and their son still talks about how good those brownies were! lol... just throwing it out there, IDK if the carbs would be too much for you..also I guess you could find something else besides regular brownie mix that might help with the carbs and sugar
    ETA: not a main course dish lol, but I thought someone might like em!

Found this recipe online:

Black Bean Brownies
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 20 servings • Serving Size: 1 brownie • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 138.1 • Fat: 2.6 g • Protein: 2.9 g • Carb: 28 g • Fiber: 1.8 g

15 oz can black beans
    19.5 oz box chocolate brownie mix
    Open can of beans, drain and rinse well. Put beans back in the can and fill can with water. Put beans and water in blender until smooth. Mix pureed beans with brownie package mix. DO NOT add eggs or oil. Spray baking dish with Pam. Cook brownies according to package directions. Cool and serve.

Can't wait to try this recipe! Thank you!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Bump
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    bump