The pitfalls of food ignorance.

Options

Replies

• jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's a great learning experience! So in a way, you could be glad that it happened. Currently I'm workign on lowering my sugar consumption. Today I couldn't get my Starbucks latte because I know how much sugar will be in the cup. Baby steps will get you to the goal!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Pre-planning is always best.

But just out of curiosity... are you avoiding sugar for a medical reason... or do you think that it will somehow help you with your weight loss?

Because sugar doesn't impact weight loss so long as you are below your body's energy expenditure.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    omg yes - - i've done this same thing before. It's crazy as you are learning, to realize just how much you DIDN'T know before, huh..?! good thing we are learning now! i am sorta starting this learning process too......and am hovering around 300 lbs.

feel free to add me if you'd like!

-jenny
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    I have found using cookbooks with calorie counjts are great tools. I like weight watcher books, and here is a link to 5 other.

http://lowcaloriecooking.about.com/od/productsandadvice/tp/Top-5-Cookbooks.htm

When cooking my own recipes I measure and try to calculate the best I can. If with over estimate to be sure I don't ovewr indulge. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    So today I learned the importance of looking up food/drinks before rushing out to go grab a quick snack/drink. As usual, I was feeling that afternoon slump at work, and decided I wanted a pick-me-up.

Thought I would have a nice iced coffee, instead of soda, assuming it would be less sugar. I know, never assume. :-( I got back to the office, and it was sweet, very sweet. I figured I got it, so I might as well drink it. When I entered it in my food diary I was astounded to discover that each serving is 25g of sugar, and I got the x-large cup which is probably 4 servings.

So often I think I am getting something that is the "better option," and it ends up being one of the worst food decisions of my day. How can anyone stay on the right track when everything around us is so deceptively bad for us? No wonder there is a diabetes epidemic.

I also have a tendency to enter food after I have already eaten it, only to tally up the day and figure out that I went completely over my goal. It is hard for me to learn a new good behavior after having that bad behavior instilled in me for so many years. My main challenge on my road to health will have to be becoming more aware of what goes in my body.

At least today’s fiasco helped me learn the importance of portion control and knowledge. Next time I feel that slump, I think I'll have an apple. :-)

Lesson learned, you won't make that mistake again soon. It happens to us all at one time or another, great job recognizing the behavior and attempting to change it. Be proud!!!

I keep picturing Joe Piscopo saying, "I once ate something without logging it first.... ONCE!"
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    Black Iced Coffee + milk. <3 Just say no sugar and NO splenda or equal that crap is toxic. BLAH. If your just starting out I suggest getting 1/2 the sugar you normally do at first. After a while cut it more and more till you can drink it plain. Tea with honey is always a better choice that sugary coffee or tea.

Always prelog or look up the nutrition in something before you get it. If I go out to eat I'm on the website looking at nutrition before I get there.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I have the app, but I've been very bad about using it properly. I try to cook at home, but logging homemade food is so difficult compared to the pre-packaged and fast-food options. It's a catch 22. The more homemade food I make, the less I log my meals. The more I eat out, the more I keep track. I'm hoping that by forcing myself to do it every meal, it will eventually become so natural that I won't have to think about it, and will just do it.

One thing I've done is used the recipe function on here. If I'm cooking a meal at home I put in everything, figure out how many portions I'll divide it into and put it into my diary that way. Then when I'm done cooking it I immediately put it into that number of portions. That way, the rest goes into the refrigerator/freezer and is out of sight, and I have my portion in front of me. :)

Most of us have been there and made that judgment that we think is the better one only to find out we were wrong later. You'll know for next time and can then help someone else that finds themselves in the same predicament!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I weight everything, and was in shock! 9.5 ounces of turkey, 2.2 ounces of provolone cheese, and 5.2 ounces of bread. Holy moly, no wonder I always felt stuffed after eating one of those! I used the recipe tool here to find the total calories of the baguette sandwich so I could record it. I ate half today, and will eat half tomorrow. Honestly, I could probably get away with cutting these in 3rds next time and just eating 1/3 for lunch since even 1/2 is really filling.

That would have totally horrified me! Who would think a sandwich would have so many calories?

I hate surprises like this and try to log everything in advance, but it can be really challenging when I'm out for dinner, whether i'm at a friend's or a restaurant.

The thing that really stunned me when I started looking at nutritional breakdowns was salads. I was shocked how many calories can be in an entree salad, and will probably never order a restaurant salad again. The more menus I look at online the more it seems like the safest thing to order is a small grilled steak and side of vegetables.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I log at the end of the day before I go to bed now , and usually end up with 50 - 100 calories extra. But until I really grasped the concept what what is and isn't good I pre-logged everything I ate.

When I am going to eat out (If I know before 5 minutes before going) I ALWAYS look up the information before I go, that way I can make a fairly decent guess about what I am eating or drinking. I always stay away from beverages that have cream and or sugar (iced coffee) unless I can specifially ask for alteration to the drink - I get my Iced Coffee from the coffee shop with 2% milk and splenda - cuts WAY Back on sugar and calories. If I cant look up the information for the place I am going I get the smallest of everything - I will even order off the kids menu - or I Order half orders.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it! One day I went to Jason's Deli and had the salad bar, thinking that would be fewer calories than a sandwich. I calculated everything I had from the bar and it turned out to be 1000 calories and I still felt hungry! Geez!

Do you have the mobile ap? It is free and might help you do a better job of logging before you eat.

I have the app, but I've been very bad about using it properly. I try to cook at home, but logging homemade food is so difficult compared to the pre-packaged and fast-food options. It's a catch 22. The more homemade food I make, the less I log my meals. The more I eat out, the more I keep track. I'm hoping that by forcing myself to do it every meal, it will eventually become so natural that I won't have to think about it, and will just do it.

I had the same problem until someone pointed out the recipe feature -- now I add anything I make homemade that way. It also encourages me to make more foods that I have added to my recipes, when I might otherwise go out because I can't think of anything to cook.

Its not perfectly on target, I imagine, but its close enough for where I'm aiming. :D
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm with those that believe this is a learning process. Food logging is difficult in the beginning because it is about learning portion sizes, reading labels, entering your own recipes. Be patient with yourself.

Sometimes I will enter a ready made food that seems close to a recipe I've made, just cause I get lazy about keeping track of ingredients, etc. Close is better than a wild guess. One thing I've started doing if I'm cooking but not following a written recipe: I put a post-it note on the counter and write down each ingredient as I add it after measuring or weighing. Then I can sit down later and put it into the recipe Caculator.

Please continue to cook at home even though it makes logging a bit more difficult. You will have healthier fare. And you will learn how to modify a recipe to make it higher in protein or lower in fat, whatever your goals are. Eventually your routine recipes will all be on your list and so will your common foods, like eggs, milk, etc so they are easier to enter. It takes time but it is so worth it.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    The more you log, the easier it gets. You have go to options. It's just a learning curve.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    So today I learned the importance of looking up food/drinks before rushing out to go grab a quick snack/drink. As usual, I was feeling that afternoon slump at work, and decided I wanted a pick-me-up.

Thought I would have a nice iced coffee, instead of soda, assuming it would be less sugar. I know, never assume. :-( I got back to the office, and it was sweet, very sweet. I figured I got it, so I might as well drink it. When I entered it in my food diary I was astounded to discover that each serving is 25g of sugar, and I got the x-large cup which is probably 4 servings.

So often I think I am getting something that is the "better option," and it ends up being one of the worst food decisions of my day. How can anyone stay on the right track when everything around us is so deceptively bad for us? No wonder there is a diabetes epidemic.

I also have a tendency to enter food after I have already eaten it, only to tally up the day and figure out that I went completely over my goal. It is hard for me to learn a new good behavior after having that bad behavior instilled in me for so many years. My main challenge on my road to health will have to be becoming more aware of what goes in my body.

At least today’s fiasco helped me learn the importance of portion control and knowledge. Next time I feel that slump, I think I'll have an apple. :-)

Iced coffee isn't black coffee with ice?

Hehe :) That's what I thought, at least that's how I drink mine (never starbucks though ... I can't stand their coffee hot and iced is worse)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Depends which part of the world you are in I believe. Spain was the first place I encountered iced coffee being black coffee served with ice. Here in Australia if you're talking about an iced coffee you're either talking about a coffee milkshake (in a carton bought from a store) or a shot of coffee with milk icecream and usually whipped cream on top (from a cafe).
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Not at Starbucks.... it is mainly milk and sugar

What Starbucks do you go to that they won't make you a plain iced coffee?
  • alisonsurf
    alisonsurf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Black Iced Coffee + milk. <3 Just say no sugar and NO splenda or equal that crap is toxic. BLAH. If your just starting out I suggest getting 1/2 the sugar you normally do at first. After a while cut it more and more till you can drink it plain. Tea with honey is always a better choice that sugary coffee or tea.

I have been using pure stevia as a sweetener for over a year now. Stevia is a plant and has been used or centuries as a sweetener It takes a short while to get used to because it actually stimulates 'bitter' taste but is completely natural. That said, don't think you can use PureVia or most of the stuff you find at regular stores - they add artificial fillers to make it approximate the volume of sugar. I use the Trader Joes brand or packets i got at a health food store. A small jar lasts for 6~8 months because a teeny tiny spoonful is plenty!

And you are so right, learning is key!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Just say no sugar and NO splenda or equal that crap is toxic.

This isn't true.

Artificial sweetener is not toxic.

Please don't put misinformation out like this.
  • chunkymonkey423
    Options
    Pre-planning is always best.

But just out of curiosity... are you avoiding sugar for a medical reason... or do you think that it will somehow help you with your weight loss?

Because sugar doesn't impact weight loss so long as you are below your body's energy expenditure.

My father has been diabetic for decades now and my sister was just diagnosed a little over a year ago. I grew up in a family that taught me that a meal is not complete without something sweet at the end. There is always ice cream in the fridge, and cookies in the cabinet. Doesn't help that I love to bake, and what is the point of baking if you don't make a cake once in a while. I've become so accustomed to eating sweets, it's part of who I am. It's a hard habit to un-learn. Even though my dad has been diabetic for decades, he still eats as if diabetes does not exist. My sister on the other hand, she took control and changed her lifestyle to the point that the doctor was amazed at how much better her diabetes was after just one year. I've had a bad role model most of my life, and seeing that my sister could do it, helped me see that I should, and can, change my lifestyle too.
  • chunkymonkey423
    Options
    I weight everything, and was in shock! 9.5 ounces of turkey, 2.2 ounces of provolone cheese, and 5.2 ounces of bread. Holy moly, no wonder I always felt stuffed after eating one of those! I used the recipe tool here to find the total calories of the baguette sandwich so I could record it. I ate half today, and will eat half tomorrow. Honestly, I could probably get away with cutting these in 3rds next time and just eating 1/3 for lunch since even 1/2 is really filling.

That would have totally horrified me! Who would think a sandwich would have so many calories?

I hate surprises like this and try to log everything in advance, but it can be really challenging when I'm out for dinner, whether i'm at a friend's or a restaurant.

The thing that really stunned me when I started looking at nutritional breakdowns was salads. I was shocked how many calories can be in an entree salad, and will probably never order a restaurant salad again. The more menus I look at online the more it seems like the safest thing to order is a small grilled steak and side of vegetables.

Salad! I totally agree. I looked up salads on a few restaurant websites. Most are worse than having a regular entree.
  • chunkymonkey423
    Options
    I'm with those that believe this is a learning process. Food logging is difficult in the beginning because it is about learning portion sizes, reading labels, entering your own recipes. Be patient with yourself.

Sometimes I will enter a ready made food that seems close to a recipe I've made, just cause I get lazy about keeping track of ingredients, etc. Close is better than a wild guess. One thing I've started doing if I'm cooking but not following a written recipe: I put a post-it note on the counter and write down each ingredient as I add it after measuring or weighing. Then I can sit down later and put it into the recipe Caculator.

Please continue to cook at home even though it makes logging a bit more difficult. You will have healthier fare. And you will learn how to modify a recipe to make it higher in protein or lower in fat, whatever your goals are. Eventually your routine recipes will all be on your list and so will your common foods, like eggs, milk, etc so they are easier to enter. It takes time but it is so worth it.

I love the post-it idea. I will make sure to keep a note pad handy. Thanks!