P90X, recovery drink ideas

amberrosejr
amberrosejr Posts: 17 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone,

So, i'm doing P90X. I'm in the 2nd phase, and trying to play with my recovery drink formula because I'm pretty sore from the workouts.

Originally I was drinking chocolate milk for the 1/4 ratio (protein/carb), as my Beachbody coach had told me to do since I wasn't going to buy the Beachbody drink. (this was several months ago before "life" got in the way and i had to put my P90X on hold)

Then I started going to a doctor for weightloss and he said I needed to drink a high protein drink for weightloss after instead of chocoalte milk.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas they'd like to share?

Much appreciated!

Replies

• themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    I love GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 in Chocolate. 60g protein per serving (serving is 3 scoops, I have 2 scoops a day), and less than 1g carb.
  • Hubby and I are on week 4 and we just make a protein shake after workouts. a scoop of the powder, handful of frozen fruit of your choice and a cup of fat free milk mix. works for us! wish you the best!
  • asm2260
    asm2260 Posts: 81 Member
    Hey everyone,

So, i'm doing P90X. I'm in the 2nd phase, and trying to play with my recovery drink formula because I'm pretty sore from the workouts.

Originally I was drinking chocolate milk for the 1/4 ratio (protein/carb), as my Beachbody coach had told me to do since I wasn't going to buy the Beachbody drink. (this was several months ago before "life" got in the way and i had to put my P90X on hold)

Then I started going to a doctor for weightloss and he said I needed to drink a high protein drink for weightloss after instead of chocoalte milk.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas they'd like to share?

Much appreciated!

I LOVE my recovery formula...I also add a scoop of vanilla whey protein, and what ever berries I have....frozen or fresh...add crushed ice for a smoothe....You will love it...its like a treat and so good for you...
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    I like the Muscle Milk (130 calories, 26 g of protein, 2 g of sugar). BSN Syntha 6 is good too. So are the EAS products and I know shakeology from beachbody is also good (not as much protein).
  • amberrosejr
    yeah, i worry about the beachbody one because its so low on protien. my current drink is fat free milk with whey powder .. total of about 32 grams of protein.

lvfunandfit - does the muscle milk or BSN syntha taste okay, and do you have the same soreness after? i'm concerned about getting enough carbs for muscle recovery.?
  • jquintinjr
    jquintinjr Posts: 191
    just eat a bana with ur shake. carbs/ good amount of potassium for recovery
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Does he know that the Phase 1 diet is already high protein? Or maybe he doesn't understand the concept of a recovery drink? It really has nothing to do with weight loss as it does muscle recovery. But it wont inhibit weight loss. I did chocolate milk during my first round and lost weight just fine.

What I normally do is drink the recovery drink right after the workout and about an hour later, follow it up with a high protein shake/meal.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    I have tried the muscle milk, chocolate and vanillia and both taste okay to me. I'm lactose though and don't drink regular milk. To someone who is use to drinking milk it might taste faul. To me it tates good!
  • krazzybebe03
    krazzybebe03 Posts: 39 Member
    I use muscle milk products and they are by far the best testing (and I've tried several other brands) and they have a variety of flavors, my personal favorite is the pb chocolate flavor.
  • amberrosejr
    Does he know that the Phase 1 diet is already high protein? Or maybe he doesn't understand the concept of a recovery drink? It really has nothing to do with weight loss as it does muscle recovery. But it wont inhibit weight loss. I did chocolate milk during my first round and lost weight just fine.

What I normally do is drink the recovery drink right after the workout and about an hour later, follow it up with a high protein shake/meal.

i'm actually a she. and i understand the concept of a recovery drink. i also understand the concept of everything you eat affects your workout and overall weightloss. therefore i try to consider the whole picture..

thanks for your input though, and i appreciate letting me know your results based on what you did.
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    I never understood where the 4 to 1 ratio carbs to protein comes from. Your doctor is closer to being right than your beachbody coach...but both are a little off. What you need after an intense workout where your body breaks down muscle are a) a quick absorbing proteing (whey) and b) a combination of both simple(dextrose) and complex (maltodextrin) sugar to replenish your used up stores.

The p90x recovery drink has all three of these components though the ratio is all out of whack. What I did when I had the recovery drink was mix it with vanilla whey protein powder to get the correct balance of protein and carbs.

For weight loss, your formula should be about 0.25-0.30 grams of protein per pound of your lean body mass and about 0.2-025 grams of carbs per pound of your lean body mass.

For example, I have about 175 pounds of lean body mass. So after a workout I use 35-45 grams of carbs and 45-55 grams of protein. The p90x recover has 39 carbs and 10 protein, so I would add 1.75 scoops of whey protein to the shake and get a total of 44 carbs and 51 protein...right in my target range.

Now I've discovered that Dextrose and Maltodextrin are pretty inexpensive in cost and I can get a month's supply of dextrose ($5), maltodextrin($12), and whey protein powder ($18) for about 20 bucks less than the p90x recovery drink and actually get the correct ratios.

All that being said, a less effective yet easier substitute for the carbs are honey or sugar for your simple sugar and something like a banana for your more complex sugar. There really is NO substitute for the whey, however....except maybe raw eggwhites...
  • amberrosejr
    pb chocolate sounds wonderful.

the bannana idea sounds like a good idea too.. i'll try that.
  • roadchic18
    roadchic18 Posts: 128
    I use EAS Total Protein. I can get it at Costco relatively cheap, $30 for 6 lbs. Have tried the chocolate and the vanilla and love them both.
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    The problems with chocolate milk and muscle milk after a workout is that they are a slow absorbing protein...i.e. your muscles have already catabolized before the protein is absorbed.
  • amberrosejr
    The problems with chocolate milk and muscle milk after a workout is that they are a slow absorbing protein...i.e. your muscles have already catabolized before the protein is absorbed.

i didn't realize that. thanks, that is very helpful. your other post was very helpful also.

i think i'm going to look into doing something like you did. the protein powder i use now is whey, so i'll just need to check the ingredients and do some shopping perhaps.

you got yours from somewhere like the vitamin shoppe or something?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

i'm actually a she. and i understand the concept of a recovery drink. i also understand the concept of everything you eat affects your workout and overall weightloss. therefore i try to consider the whole picture..

thanks for your input though, and i appreciate letting me know your results based on what you did.

The responder was referring to your doctor, not you.
  • hjsyndrome
    hjsyndrome Posts: 215
    I love GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 in Chocolate. 60g protein per serving (serving is 3 scoops, I have 2 scoops a day), and less than 1g carb.

This is what I do. GNC is pretty good.
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295

The responder was referring to your doctor, not you.

You beat me to it...

What are some fast absorbing proteins?
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member

I know YOU understand the concept of a recovery drink, lol.

I guess it's all about whether or not the drink you pick keeps you less sore the next day. A 2:1 ratio is the highest protein-to-carb ratio that I've read about.

I use tang with protein powder and a pack of emergen-C. Whey makes me violently ill though so I use egg protein powder. But the ratio is all the same.
  • amberrosejr

I know YOU understand the concept of a recovery drink, lol.

I guess it's all about whether or not the drink you pick keeps you less sore the next day. A 2:1 ratio is the highest protein-to-carb ratio that I've heard.

I use tang with protein powder and a pack of emergen-C. Whey makes me violently ill though so I use egg protein powder.

oh! i'm sorry! :) written word.. difficult to get the meaning sometimes..

i've never tried the egg protein powder, always scared me a little bit, not sure why. glad it works for you.
This discussion has been closed.