I HATE strength training.....any non-lifting suggestions?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    yoga. yes, yoga -- it's really all you will need.

yoga is awesome!!!!!

for recovery from strength training

I LOVE YOU FOR THIS.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    What kind of strength training are you doing? Are you just aimlessly picking up weights and lifting or are you following a program? Do you set goals for yourself...i.e. last week I was lifting this much...this week I"m going to add 5 Lbs to that exercise, etc.

Also, you don't actually have to spend a ton of time in the weight room...lift heavy, full body compound lifts. My routine basically consists of 3 exercises done 3x weekly, 3x5 times (with warmup on squats and a set or two warm up on OH press and bench. I'll add more later on, but as a beginner this is great for me and I'm in and out in about 30 minutes.

I've found that really pushing myself, following a program, and making progressive goals has really helped me learn to love weight lifting. I'm also starting to feel and see some results, so gravy.

This! I used to just do my own thing. Did seem very boring and I didn't know what I was doing. Now I do "New Rules of Lifting for Women" (It's a book, but I got it from my local library before I decided I loved it and bought it). Bought a whole weight set for less than 2 months of what some folks on here pay for a gym membership. I put something interesting on to watch and time passes in no time. Love having incremental goals and getting stronger. My weight loss has been reeeeeeaaaaly slow. If I didn't have running/lifting to challenge me I'd have given up a long time ago. And lifting heavy for about 4 weeks has made my body look the best it has in YEARS. How quickly I've seen changes has just been crazy. So yeah, you can go do yoga or insanity of 30 day shred or whatever (and not knocking that, that can be a lot of fun). But in about 25 minutes 3 times a week I'm really SEEING my body looking so much better. And it's become fun now that I actually have a plan to follow.
  • idaholawchick
    idaholawchick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I hate it too, but I found a boot camp to be doable. Lots of body weight exercises, kettle bells, ropes, medicine balls, etc. The energy and motivation really helps.
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Not what you asked but let me give you a bit of advice I wouldn't accept if given to me long ago.... Use a supplement called nitric oxide and lift weights. Get a trainer or friend that will show you how to lift properly.
    Why do this?
    To get you used to the way your muscles feel when worked out and soon, I hope, you will feel how the muscle feels when it has a proper pump. To me this feeling makes lifting feel like you are accomplishing something and I now crave the full muscle feeling. Therefore I want to lift weights.
  • WineMaiden
    Options
    Kettlebells. A 10 pound kettlebell is inexpensive (a great weight to start with before you move up) and there is a great 4 DVD set available on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Core-Kettlebell-Sarah-Lurie/dp/B005FRWTSO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360027883&sr=8-1&keywords=iron+core+kettlebell

That is quite challenging. It has Volume 1, 2, boot camp and warrior. I won't be doing anything beyond volume 1 for a while. It is cardio and weight resistance combined.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I've been told I shouldn't do free weights so interested in other ideas.
    Who told you that? And why? Under what context?
    I'm gonna guess a doctor? *shrug*

See, I'm gonna guess a friend that said lifting would make them bulky or impede weight loss. Maybe I'm cynical?

I told my exercise physiologist that I want to do stronglifts 5x5 and she said this:

"In regards to the 5 for 5, this is not for novice trainers, in fact this would be for more experienced weight lifters. Although is says it is safe I do question this considering if you have not done weight training before I am concerned your muscles and tendons are not conditioned to endure this type of load. Everyone has different proportion of muscle fiber types and this determines what style of weight training is most effective however this is not possible to find out unless you were to undertake an invasive muscle fibre test which I do not at all recommend. For your level of experience, age, size and being female I would recommend staying around moderate sets and reps (ie 2-3 sets, 12-15reps). The key to building muscle mass is you must lift repetitively to the point of muscle fatigue. This should be the guiding factor when you are choosing your weight. Ensure when you follow this that you maintain good technique. If you lose technique before you finish the set the load is too heavy and is very unsafe. Heavy does not necessarily mean better. I hope this helps."

I have sent her the thread about weight machines versus free weights to read as it talks about some of the older ladies lifting free weights etc and that it isn't for experienced lifters only.

I do have some pain in my left shoulder that a physiotherapist couldn't fix and said to see a doctor. Still need to check it out so that is an issue for some lifts.

Edited to say I am on weight machines that she approved for me right now.

I hate to disagree with professionals, but she's pretty far off base here, I think to a lack of understanding of what 5x5 beginner programs consist of. She seems to think we're going to have you doing max lifts right out the gate.

Nothing could be further from the truth. You start with an empty bar and increase weight very slowly, giving your tendons and ligaments plenty of time to develop. And the low reps help you avoid repetitive use injuries.

Also, it seems you may have misrepresented what she said. Sounds like she suggested a different type of weight training than 5x5 whereas you made it seem like she said don't touch weights.

It's a very solid beginner program for pretty much all able bodied people
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I've been told I shouldn't do free weights so interested in other ideas.
    Who told you that? And why? Under what context?
    I'm gonna guess a doctor? *shrug*

See, I'm gonna guess a friend that said lifting would make them bulky or impede weight loss. Maybe I'm cynical?

I told my exercise physiologist that I want to do stronglifts 5x5 and she said this:

"In regards to the 5 for 5, this is not for novice trainers, in fact this would be for more experienced weight lifters. Although is says it is safe I do question this considering if you have not done weight training before I am concerned your muscles and tendons are not conditioned to endure this type of load. Everyone has different proportion of muscle fiber types and this determines what style of weight training is most effective however this is not possible to find out unless you were to undertake an invasive muscle fibre test which I do not at all recommend. For your level of experience, age, size and being female I would recommend staying around moderate sets and reps (ie 2-3 sets, 12-15reps). The key to building muscle mass is you must lift repetitively to the point of muscle fatigue. This should be the guiding factor when you are choosing your weight. Ensure when you follow this that you maintain good technique. If you lose technique before you finish the set the load is too heavy and is very unsafe. Heavy does not necessarily mean better. I hope this helps."

I have sent her the thread about weight machines versus free weights to read as it talks about some of the older ladies lifting free weights etc and that it isn't for experienced lifters only.

I do have some pain in my left shoulder that a physiotherapist couldn't fix and said to see a doctor. Still need to check it out so that is an issue for some lifts.

Edited to say I am on weight machines that she approved for me right now.

I hate to disagree with professionals, but she's pretty far off base here, I think to a lack of understanding of what 5x5 beginner programs consist of. She seems to think we're going to have you doing max lifts right out the gate.

Nothing could be further from the truth. You start with an empty bar and increase weight very slowly, giving your tendons and ligaments plenty of time to develop. And the low reps help you avoid repetitive use injuries.

Also, it seems you may have misrepresented what she said. Sounds like she suggested a different type of weight training than 5x5 whereas you made it seem like she said don't touch weights.

It's a very solid beginner program for pretty much all able bodied people

Hmm... yes maybe I did misunderstand what she is saying and just thought she meant for me to stay on weight machines. I sent her the info on stronglifts, maybe she didn't read it so thought it's not for beginners but as I said I have sent her a link to show her it is for beginners and I'm waiting to hear back.

What do you think of the rest of what she said about 2-3 sets and 12-15 reps etc..??? Sorry OP this ended up in your thread, didn't mean for it to be.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i agree with davpaul. weight lifting programs are usually very progressive and built over time.

check out this article on how to leave the machines, and go to the weights. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/01/24/rage-against-the-machine-how-to-switch-from-exercise-machines-to-free-weights/
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    For a beginner, the rep ranges are actually not that important IMO. Yes there are optimal amounts for strength, hypertrophy and muscular endurance. It doesn't matter if you are doing a 5x5 or a 12-15 rep set, if your form goes bad that is when you are going to have an issue. It is for this reason that all beginners start at low weights and progress when they have completed the allocated sets and reps with good form. If your form is ****house, lower the weight and keep practicing.

And 5x5 is a great beginners program and I also know plenty of intermediate to advanced powerlifters who use it but not in the traditional progressive overload method.