Lunchtime Recipes

Options
Does anyone have any good recipes for lunch? I live in catered halls at uni, and so only have a microwave, a toaster, a toastie maker and a smoothie maker, which does limit what I can have greatly.

I'm getting a bit bored of tinned soup, and my smoothie maker (and the size of my fridge) isn't up to making real soup.

Any ideas would be great!

Replies

• danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I buy pita bread pockets , pizza sauce, mozerella cheese and zap it in the microwave Mmmm

One pita - 180 calories
    1/8 cup Ragu pizza sauce- 15 calories
    1/4 reduced fat mozerella cheese- 80

total - 275 calories and delish!! Really gets rid of my pizza cravings and its super quick and easy! I even put crushed pineapple on it sometimes. Its all up to you!
  • KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Mmm. Toastie maker! Do you use this often?

I used to be put off by toasties by the amount of cheese in them but ive found loads of different combinations that use very little cheese or none at all!

I loove. baked bean toasties!

Or you could make little mini "calzones" using some tomato puree, a small amount of mozzerella (which is one of the better cheeses for you) and whatever your favourite pizza toppings are. Although if you want to be really strict it would be best to shy away from pepperoni or salami. but most other toppings are good to go!

I really like roasted red pepper, mushroom, tomato and red onion toasties also.

I also have a book that would be great for your situation "the classic 1000 student recipes" Ive had it for years. It categorises food by the equipment needed to cook it. ranging from just a can opener, to a knife and chopping board, or toastie maker, microwave, one pan etc right the way through to a whole kitchen!
  • fit4hols
    fit4hols Posts: 6
    Options
    Things I like to eat:

A couple of fresh figs cut into quarters, about 3 slices (15g) of proscuitto ham torn up and about 10g of blue cheese crumbled in. Sprinkle 1tsp of balsamic vinegar over it all. On its own it's about 130 calories, but it's really nice with wholemeal or rye bread.

Couscous, with frozen peas, grated carrot, chickpeas, fruit and some kind of dried spice mix.

Canned mackerel mashed up with capers on rye bread.

Microwave some salmon and serve it on an orange and a grapefruit, cut into segments, I add some dried chilli strands for colour.

Does your smoothie maker work as a blender? If so try blending some fat free set yoghurt with a tin of chickpeas, and adding some lemon juice and black pepper. Have it with raw vegetable or on bread.

Steam a carrot in your microwave then blend it with stock and a lot of ginger as a soup - cold is best

Tofu, avocado and spinach smoothie

Poached egg on toast (poach it in third of a mug of water, pierce the yolk with the tip of a knife, cover with cling film and microwave at 600W for 1 - 2 minutes until you like it)

Would love to see what other people are eating, especially food that can be had cold as a packed lunch...?!
  • fit4hols
    Options
    Oh I forgot, another favourite, which I'm just having now actually, is cottage cheese with smoked salmon offcuts and some kind of dried herbs, I like dill. High in protein and very filling!
  • stamps4fun
    stamps4fun Posts: 33
    Options
    if you go to UNI in cedar falls, there is an Aldi store on university ave. they have fit and active products which are healthier
    and the prices are good. they have fit n active multigrain wraps in the fridge counter by the lunch meats which are yummy and they only have 100 calories per wrap.
    i have used these for a sandwich or as pizza crust. the recipe for pizza is on the wrapper. i have been using far free plain yogurt in place of sour cream and mayo/salad dressing and it works great. a yummy wrap is avacado, salsa and maybe a wee bit of low fat ham or turkey and some FF plain yogurt, not even cheese and roll it up in a wrap. filling.
  • rwaltjen
    rwaltjen Posts: 5
    Options
    1 can Starkist tuna in water...drained
    1 tablespoon Miracle Whip
    1/2 cup of seedless red grapes (and another half for snacking with the pita)
    Salt
    Pepper

Mix this all together and put it inside half of a SMALL pita.

Only 260 calories
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    Things I like to eat:

A couple of fresh figs cut into quarters, about 3 slices (15g) of proscuitto ham torn up and about 10g of blue cheese crumbled in. Sprinkle 1tsp of balsamic vinegar over it all.

I love this, I make this often, but I love it with goat cheese, then baked in the often, topped with a balsamic reduction..mmmm
  • fit4hols
    Options

A couple of fresh figs cut into quarters, about 3 slices (15g) of proscuitto ham torn up with goat cheese, then baked in the often, topped with a balsamic reduction..mmmm

Mmm, sounds yummy!
  • helendrew
    helendrew Posts: 3
    Options
    Toast 2 sliced of wholewheat bread. Make a mixture of chopped cherry tomatoes, salt, pepper, fresh oregano and goats feta, drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Its a bit like bruschetta - and delicious! Or you could do egg on toast, 2 boiled eggs, mash with some low fat yogurt (instead of mayo) salt pepper fresh parsley, it really fills you up. Cheers Helen
  • nutteratnutwood
    Options
    Oooo some amazing ideas here. You're all much more imaginative then I am.

I'm going shopping later, so will definitely be stocking up on some of the suggestions here. I've also ordered the Student cookbook suggested, see how that works out!
  • Leekc926
    Leekc926 Posts: 9
    Options
    While i'm not a fan of chicken or egg or tuna salad, I did come up with a combination I can live with and is loaded with protein!

I take 4 hard boild eggs (Diced)
    1 can of chicken breast (drained)
    1 tbs of Olive Oil Mayonaise
    1 spoonful of sweet relish
    1 tsp of mustard
    roasted red peppers chopped.

mix it all together (shredding the chicken in the can before dumping with the rest of the mixture)
    i eat it on crackers, but you could have it on whole grain bread, or in a wrap.

just the Egg/Chicken salad by itself ranks as so (all values are approximate)
    Per 1/2 cup - Cal:175 Carbs:3 Fat:8 Protein:22
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    for me, it's hard to find recipes that contain everyday items - things relatively inexpensive and easy to find locally. but here's a few standby's that i try to keep handy -

baked open-face sandwich: change up a regular sandwich by adding the condiments first to very lightly toasted bread, then the meat and a sprinkle of cheese, bake at 350º for about 8 minutes and then add veggies. my personal favorite version of this is - olive oil mayo on whole wheat bread with a dab of mustard, shaved turkey slices and a dash of cheddar cheese, then add spinach leaves after cooking!

pb and banana sandwich on toasted bread

wolf brand chili - lean beef w/beans is a good source of protein. half a regular size can, add about 4 crackers to a bowl and a sprinkle of cheese (or cubed cheese for a REALLY yummy bowl) and microwave.

i'm not too terribly good at coming up with lunch recipes but i'm loving some of the suggestions on here!