Does it get any better?

Options
Does your body eventually get used to having a limited number of calories in a day? I have been eating 1200 calories for two weeks now and I feel like I am going to die. I am hungry, cranky, and irritable (oh wait, I guess I was like this even on 2000 calories a day... LOL). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Try the group here called eat more to weigh less.
    Also search for the topic in this forum called 'in place of a road map'
    Most people do not need to be eating just 1200 calories to lose weight.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you were eating 2000 a day before dieting? Are you really sure about that? I'm guessing it was more.

1200 isn't enough calories for most people and you can eat more and lose. Find out what your TDEE is and deduct 20% from that.
  • chrysfer
    chrysfer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hello, I've been on Medifast since 1/11/2013 and have averaged 875 calories a day. I was cranky and mean too, but yes your body gets used to it but mentally it is tough. I'm on this diet for my health! I have made incredible progress with my blood pressure and other side benefits I didn't know would happen! Good Luck on your journey
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I can't manage 1200 , at least not yet. I moved mine down to lose 2 pounds a week and I was having trouble. When I raise my calorie level I don't have any trouble except for the first day or so.
  • hillbillytrader
    Options
    I had to look for more foods that gave a better bang for the buck! This app is great for checking out calories and serving sizes. I have done WW and I use to joke with my hubby I am going to bed because I am out of points and I was still hungry. I am not hungry on this journey. I wish you success!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    hello, I've been on Medifast since 1/11/2013 and have averaged 875 calories a day. I was cranky and mean too, but yes your body gets used to it but mentally it is tough. I'm on this diet for my health! I have made incredible progress with my blood pressure and other side benefits I didn't know would happen! Good Luck on your journey

If you are averaging 875 calories and not doing so under strict medical supervision, then unfortunately your diet is VERY UNHEALTHY. You should be netting at least 1200 cals, even MFP tells you that every time you complete your diary. Do you never wonder why it does?

You should, like the OP find out your BMR and TDEE numbers and eat at a calorie goal between these two numbers. There is plenty of advice of how to find these available on this site or using google. You need to research and check your methods properly when it comes to something as important as your health. To do anything less is pure negligence.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Does it get any better? It did for me when i started eating more - 1200 wasn't enough for me, and is in fact, about 200 calories short of what I'd need if I were comatose! :bigsmile:

I'm having great success at 1800 calories a day. I used this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 Full of great info, with tools to calculate my BMR and my TDEE, and I eat in between those two numbers. At this point, I'm half a pound away from goal, and still losing fat and inches, and I'm not hungry. My diary is open if you want to see the kind of food I'm enjoying while losing fat, inches, and buying new jeans. :smile:
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    1,200 calories a day? Yikes. I could never do that. I eat about 1,700 and still lose weight.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Things get better when you stop feeling like you are dying. Eat more.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Try the group here called eat more to weigh less.
    Also search for the topic in this forum called 'in place of a road map'
    Most people do not need to be eating just 1200 calories to lose weight.

This is good advice.
    Personally I do 1200-1300 and am fine as long as I make healthy choices. It's a learning process. I'm also pretty small: Many people do need to consume more than 1200.

The Road map post is helpful and "eating more to lose more" is worth a try!
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do the roadmap too, eating about 1700 calories daily and working out, and losing after holding a plateau for months...eat more!
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories a day? Yikes. I could never do that. I eat about 1,700 and still lose weight.

I don't like you......

I kid, I kid.....
  • sarah329618
    Options
    I was eating 1200 a day and was miserable too. I upped it to 1400 and depending on the day I average 1300-1650. Also, if you want to eat more, exercise more.
  • chrysfer
    chrysfer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes of course it's under medical supervision. Medifast is also well documented on the internet and other places. My TEE will be 2309 when I hit my goal weight of 180 lbs. Currently at 188. Thank you for warning me about the cals, I saw that too and called my physician about it.

If you are averaging 875 calories and not doing so under strict medical supervision, then unfortunately your diet is VERY UNHEALTHY. You should be netting at least 1200 cals, even MFP tells you that every time you complete your diary. Do you never wonder why it does?

You should, like the OP find out your BMR and TDEE numbers and eat at a calorie goal between these two numbers. There is plenty of advice of how to find these available on this site or using google. You need to research and check your methods properly when it comes to something as important as your health. To do anything less is pure negligence.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you were eating 2000 a day before dieting? Are you really sure about that? I'm guessing it was more.

1200 isn't enough calories for most people and you can eat more and lose. Find out what your TDEE is and deduct 20% from that.

^^^^THIS!!!! I just started this week and it works!!!! :happy: I also did 1200 cal. and was hungry all the time, angry all the time and my hair was falling out also....in Nov. till after christmas just gave up, gained 13 pds and decided after christmas to get back at it and decied to up my cals. and than saw the TDEE -20% and check into it and doing well so far!! :bigsmile:

Edit: So far lost 9 pds since I started upping my calories!! :bigsmile: