Oolong Tea

Options
Has anyone tried Oolong Tea? I was told by a friend if you drink a couple cups a day they help in weight lose. I went to this website: http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/oolong-tea-weight-loss.html and a few others and it looks very promising. I figure it is just tea so it can't hurt to try it. I went and bought two boxes of it today and figured I would give it a try. Curious to know if anyone has heard anything about it.Thanks! Dawn

Replies

• babybs
    babybs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Dawn. I read the same thing in some woman's magazine, I think it was For Women First magazine. Anyway I ran to my local health food store and grabbed a box of 100 tea bags. I've probably finished at least a half dozen pitches of it and have not noticed any burst of energy or help with weight loss. I will say though it is tasty so I'll continue it until the box is gone and then go back to my usual green tea. Nothing special as far as I'm concerned.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    http://medical.med.tokushima-u.ac.jp/jmi/vol50/pdf/v50_n3-4_p170.pdf

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/131/11/2848.abstract

Seems to be largely caffeine driven, but not entirely.

From the Japanese study:
    In conclusion, there were some limitations in the
    current study, but the results suggested that oolong
    tea increased EE and the factor was not only caffeine
    or EGCG but also some kinds of polymerized
    polyphenols.

Oolong tea is tasty... I like it just because. It can be an addition to your diet, but its probably not going to make a huge difference, might just enhance whatever good habits you are doing. I love tea and coffee... people will have to tear them from my cold, dead fingers :D

also... don't add a bunch of sugar to it... or you'll just undo everything with a bunch of calories! Drink it like water, unsweetened. There are many wonderful flavored varieties... I happen to really like the chai masala flavored one from Teavana, a tad expensive tho.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    drinking 2 cups a day is supposed to burn 164 calories per day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt you but it has no magic weight loss properties other than filling you up with liquid. There's no magic pills or teas or anything else that melts off weight. You do that by eating right and exercising.
  • rm7161
    Options
    It won't hurt you but it has no magic weight loss properties other than filling you up with liquid. There's no magic pills or teas or anything else that melts off weight. You do that by eating right and exercising.

It can help in the same way weightlifters and other athletes use caffeine as an enhancement to their exercise routine. It won't work outside an exercise program. So yes and no. (the weight loss effect seems rather secondary to the performance enhancing benefits of caffeinated beverages)
  • RxVirus
    RxVirus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oolong tea is made from the same leaf as black and green tea, which are both used to loose weight. The Caffeine in the tea leaf helps boost your metabolism.
  • rm7161
    Options
    Oolong tea is made from the same leaf as black and green tea, which are both used to loose weight. The Caffeine in the tea leaf helps boost your metabolism.

Oolong is lower in caffeine than green or black teas. The fermentation process is different than for black tea, and green tea is not fermented at all. It has a different profile of polyphenols, its more likely these are performance enhancers to exercise.

Caffeine's effects on reducing the perception of effort in athletic activity is well established - allowing the person to expend more effort, ergo more calories. Not really magic.
  • NightMagic5
    NightMagic5 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I tried drinking 2 cups a day of Oolong Tea. I only tried for a couple of weeks but didn't notice an increase in weight loss. A friend of mine tried at the same time & saw good results. I think it's just one of those things --- for some people it works.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I drink oolong on occasion, sometimes 4-6 mugs worth in a single day when the craving strikes -- I 'm living through my first South Dakota Winter and other than forbidden comfort foods, nothing's so comforting as a pot of tea, apparently. ;) I drink oolong because it reminds me of sipping tea in Chinese restaurants, I enjoy the flavor; I have no knowledge of any weight loss benefits (other than those of tea in general).
  • dawnmm89
    dawnmm89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you Everyone! I currently only drink one cup of coffee in the morning and then drink nothing but water all day so I never get any caffeine after that first cup of coffee. I like hot tea and the health benefits for your heart and everything that they mention is reason enough for me to give it a try and start drinking two cups a day along with my current diet and exercise program. I have only been doing MFP for a month today and I have lost 10 pounds. With the serious thyroid issue I have that is fantastic so I will keep plugging along and add the tea to the mix. I thought the comment I posted about not putting milk in the tea was very interesting. I never would have thought of that one if I had not read it.

Thanks for the advise; thanks for the information; thanks for the comments. Have a fantastic day! :-) Dawn....
  • dawnmm89
    dawnmm89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What I posted about milk was what I read on one site that talked about it: I put milk in my tea (the yankee in me was raised that way LOL) the website says to NOT add milk to your tea if you want the fat-burning affects. Milk binds to the fat-burning compounds and prevents them from being absorbed in the body. So NO more milk in my tea. :-)
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I love tea especially oolong and have long before the weight loss claims. I find it more satisfying than other calorie free beverages but I don't think it has helped me lose weight. Now it you use unsweetened tea to break a soft drink or latte habit it could be really helpful.