Replies

• jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    i don really have time to do any exercise right now and can't use my treadmill as it is too cold out, i am not working, i go to school and we have a business that i do the paperwork for so i am always sitting, either at school or in fronot of a computer or driving kids around to various activities Once it warms up and i can use my treadmill i will be back on it all the time. I need to tone as well but that will come AFTER i get to my goal weight.

I saw that spreadsheet but i won't let me change any of the numbers in it. As for little left to lose i have 15 lbs to lose, i needed to lose 22, I'm only 5 ft tall or i guess i should say 5 ft short!! lol

still not sure how much i should be eating though?

So you want to end up skinny fat before you work on muscle?
    At which time the only way to gain muscle is eat in surplus, and you will gain fat along with the muscle.
    Do it now though, you can spend some time trading fat loss for LBM, maybe even muscle, gains.

Think people will notice that better than a scale you probably don't carry on your back for them to see?

Most that are tied to the scale will be repeating this effort again as the mind hasn't been made over as to what is truly beneficial.
    Scale weight or size and health?

You have unique opportunity at beginning of strength training to actually lose fat and gain some muscle, besides just strength gains. You won't get that later nearly as much.

Might think about it when you get a chance, since the lifting can burn fat better than cardio.

1200 daily.
  • momof377
    momof377 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Great explanation!!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't want to gain muscle only tone my arms and stomach up a bit,

When i lost the weight before that is how i did it and was fine and loved how i felt and looked, should never of went back to school since that is how i gained most of it back!! lol

I don't really care what other people think, I'm losing the weight for myself so i feel better about myself and most people think i don't need to lose weight since I'm smaller than most people i know anyways

I was just confused about this TDEE thing as i had never heard of it before when i was on here and lost weight

thanks though!!
  • raspberryblonde
    Options
    so according to this site http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.ca/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

my BMR is 1129 and my TDEE is 1355 as of today and when i get to my goal weight it will be BMR 1061 and TDEE 1273, so how many calories should i be eating right now in order to lose, MFP has me at 1200 a day, now when i get to my goal weight, how many should i be eating then??

Any help would be great!! Kinda confused on how this works

Because you selected Sedentary level.

If that is indeed true and you don't expect the exercise to come into play, just easy daily life, then use the spreadsheet in this topic.

Get stats filled in, and on bottom right is alternate method for Eating For Future You, which is eating your goal weight daily maintenance, minus a slight deficit so you'll actually reach it.

Since you have little left to lose, that would be best to avoid losing any muscle. Confirm you follow the protein recommendation, since you are doing no exercise to help retain muscle mass.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

Yay, it's heybales! I've been reading as much as I can about the "Future You" thing, and the idea makes so much sense to me. However, I have two questions:

1. Should I be using my Katch-McArdle BMR rather than the one provided by MFP, because it is so much lower and takes BF% into account?
    2. The maintenance calories for my current weight and goal weight (even adjusted for a goal BF%) aren't that much different unless I change the activity level (currently desk job with little exercise, future me will be in the 1-3 hrs/week category)

I used the scooby workshop calculator for both.

That spreadsheet is awesome, by the way!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yay, it's heybales! I've been reading as much as I can about the "Future You" thing, and the idea makes so much sense to me. However, I have two questions:

1. Should I be using my Katch-McArdle BMR rather than the one provided by MFP, because it is so much lower and takes BF% into account?
    2. The maintenance calories for my current weight and goal weight (even adjusted for a goal BF%) aren't that much different unless I change the activity level (currently desk job with little exercise, future me will be in the 1-3 hrs/week category)

1. If there is a decent difference, yes. Why eat inflated calorie goal when you don't need to.

2. So would be the result of the GW TDEE being based on Mifflin BMR, not Katch. If you based it on Katch, and maintained your LBM, nothing would actually change.
    So basing it on Mifflin BMR means an assumed ratio of fat to LBM that is avg for healthy weight folks. But right now if Katch is below Mifflin at CW, you have less LBM than expected. Most do when overweight, but if extreme, that means you really want to gain some LBM by lifting as primary focus.
    It also means if little to no exercise right now, you really don't want to risk the muscle mass loss if you already have less than expected.

When that combo comes together, the Future You will not give as much deficit as normal TDEE deficit amount. I generally doesn't actually, but it's a great way to learn to eat the amounts you will be eating later, if routine stays the same.

So just depends on what you want to do. Perhaps TDEE Deficit method now, but when you start working out, go to the EFFY method.
  • raspberryblonde
    Options

1. If there is a decent difference, yes. Why eat inflated calorie goal when you don't need to.

2. So would be the result of the GW TDEE being based on Mifflin BMR, not Katch. If you based it on Katch, and maintained your LBM, nothing would actually change.
    So basing it on Mifflin BMR means an assumed ratio of fat to LBM that is avg for healthy weight folks. But right now if Katch is below Mifflin at CW, you have less LBM than expected. Most do when overweight, but if extreme, that means you really want to gain some LBM by lifting as primary focus.
    It also means if little to no exercise right now, you really don't want to risk the muscle mass loss if you already have less than expected.

When that combo comes together, the Future You will not give as much deficit as normal TDEE deficit amount. I generally doesn't actually, but it's a great way to learn to eat the amounts you will be eating later, if routine stays the same.

So just depends on what you want to do. Perhaps TDEE Deficit method now, but when you start working out, go to the EFFY method.

OK, that clears things up a bit. Thank you so much!
  • drj1955
    drj1955 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amperl8
    amperl8 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Poniesarepretty
    Poniesarepretty Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump