altercation with gym employee... now scared to go LOL

Options
very long... sorry....

What would you do? Was I wrong to report this? I am fearful for retaliation when i go to the gym now... and havent went in 3 days because of it.

At my gym the kids care (like a day care) is open until 12:00 on Saturdays. I arrived there at 11:00 with both of my children planning to get a quick 45 minute work out in.

When we got there my 11 year old went in the doors while i got my 4 year olds jacket off... seconds later she walked back out of the kids care entry doors. I asked what she needed and my daughter said that the lady yelled at her and said "excuse me??? where is your mother!"

To my surprise the same kids care employee soon was harping at me that my children could not enter the kids care because she was leaving early and there wouldnt be enough staff and would be over capacity for the amount of children they had after she left....

Ok i get it... maybe a scheduling issue.... but THEN... mind u it is 11:02 at this time... I say Well i have a half hour to work out... I will be back at 11:30 so u can leave. She got super pissy and said "No u have 15 minutes because i AM NOT leaving later than 11:30. OMG attitude!

I said... well the kids club is open until 12:00... u need to leave at 11:30 I will be back from my work out at 11:30 to grab my children... signed them in and walked out.

I felt bad not knowing the circumstances and cut my workout short to 20 minutes... At 11:20 i picked up my kids, while getting shoes, hats, coats etc on I saw 3 kids care employees standing around... and by the time i left at 1145 the girl who gave me an attitude was STILL sitting there blabbing like a school girl... had to leave at 11:30 huh?

******************and to top it off************
My daughter got in the car and told me that she was bored because there were a bunch of younger kids and no one to play with... so she was up by the front counter and was randomly looking at the log in/log out sheet. The same employee walked up to her and snatched the sheet off the counter and said "What do you think ur doing?" my daughter scared said "just wanted to see when my mom was coming back"

I went to corporate and the CEO emailed me and apologized and said he would handle it.

But now I am afraid to go to the gym because if she got in trouble... and seeing the gym is run locally but owned by a much LARGER company elsewhere.... that the employees there will give me grief because one of their own got into trouble. Im afraid of the stares.... and am alos afraid to take my kids back to the kids care center... the girl i rarely ever saw but i am positive word will get around and the employees who were there to see it all go down.... know who i am. LOL

What would u do?

Replies

• Cdn_Dot
    Cdn_Dot Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Holy! And to think membership dues pay their wages. Not sure exactly what I would do. I think I 'd be talking to a local manager about this though. I'd also be taking my girl to our own sitter or going to the gym when someone else was home to watch her for a bit.
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't leave my kids there anymore but I would still go
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'd go back and be as nice as possible and see her reaction.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Im leaning towards cancelling my kids care memberships for the kids... the only time i need to bring them is on mondays and saturdays and only if my husband is working overtime. I can always go later too after he goes home... The local manager is a jerk... he is friends with my ex.... so i know that wouldnt be helpful... damn small towns! LOL
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I feel so bad for your daughter, omg, thats horrible. If I were you, I'd find a different gym if thats possible. Thats disturbing, its their job to take good care of your kids!
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You didn't do anything wrong--Absolutely, she the employee was in the wrong. If you don't feel comfortable leaving your kids in their care, then I would trust your gut! Sorry this happened. Good Luck!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym. Because if that employee does anything rude or harassing to you then they will probably be fired. If it does come to that, report her right there. You shouldn't be scared, and to be honest seeing you walk in will probably make all the employees act correctly because they won't want to get fired.

You did the right thing. For one she lied to a customer. Then was rude to a customer. And then frightened your child. If it were me in that situation I would have reported her right then and there...and probably right in front of her.
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Walk back in with your head high.You did nothing wrong.
    They are paid employees.Having said that I wouldn't leave my children in that enviroment.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would go back and sweetly explain that someone frightened my child. Then I would explain that I would be back randomly to check on them. You hold all the cards you have nothing to fear unless you feel the woman is truly dangerous. Stand up for your daughter and 4 yr old. She will learn a lesson that will last her all her life. Girls are never too young to learn the right words to use and the courage to use them. I AM WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If I were in your town, going to your gym, I would want you to do the right thing so MY kids wouldn't have to endure that kind of treatment. Sometimes the right thing isn't the easy thing.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yay for writing letters! I'm known for that. :wink:

I think you did the right thing bringing it up to the higher ups. Would I go to the gym again? Heck yeah! Would I bring my kids? No. I don't have kids but I'm a very over protective aunt. If anyone treated my niece or nephews like that, I wouldn't trust bringing my kids there anymore. Go to the gym though! Bring friends along! If you're really uncomfortable, maybe find a different place to go? But what I've learned is that if I'm avoiding something, it always comes back to haunt me... Lessons seem to repeat themselve until I learn to deal with them! Anyway, good luck!
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much.... i am leaving for the gym now.... late night work out...and then will walk in tomorrow after work as well :)
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i would actually start taking the kids more. especially when that staff member is working. make sure you take them out dead on closing time and not a minute earlier.

to be honest tho, i would be surprised if that person was still working there.