Pregnancy & weight loss

Options
Hi there,

I'm in my 1st trimester and would like to loose a little more wight before my 2nd and 3rd. As I'd like to reduce my bmi to help keep my weight down to reduce risks associated with being over weight. Also don't want too much to loose after the baby is born.

Anyone else pregnant?!

How are you getting on?

Does anyone have good tips?

:-) thank you

Replies

• loveskinny27
    loveskinny27 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

:-)
  • unicornhug
    unicornhug Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kannd86
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea to try to lose weight while you're pregnant, at least not under close supervision of a doctor. Just eat as healthy as you can.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Plenty of time after the baby is born to lose weight.
    After 17 years I'm finally losing the weight from my wife's pregnancy :laugh: :laugh:
    I'd be surprised if any physician would advise losing weight during a pregnancy.
  • lizjohnson2169
    Options
    I'm also pregnant and my doctor encourages it when women are overweight as long as it is healthy. He won't allow me to go too low on calories and when I go in for my checkups I show him my food and exercise logs. A rule of thumb he gave me was start slow. You don't want to jump into strenuous exercise. Losing weight also helps decrease risk factors during labor and if you have to have a c-section.don't go crazy with it.
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am 14 weeks and have lost 7 pounds since I found out I was pregnant. I was not trying to lose weight but I did keep up normal exercise that I was doing and I am eating more. My body was just in weight loss mode still and I had trouble at first eating more with the nausea. Also, I am still obese so that probably makes it more okay. My goal was to maintain weight for the first trimester but just couldn't. Best wishes to you for a healthy pregnancy!
  • nabak147112
    nabak147112 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i am also pregnant,,i am 22 weeks and due June 8.. im not wanting to loose weight but i am wanting to not gain alot more as ive already gained 22 lbs and am finally feeling good enough to start working out again. add me if you'd like
  • loveskinny27
    Options
    Hi all thanks for replys - my I is still classed as over weight and I would like to loose at least 7-10 lbs before getting to the second trimester but will take anything really need to make sure I don't pile on the lbs I know it's inevitable to put weight on in pregnancy I put on a lot with my first and I struggled to loose it afterwards - I've worked so hard per the last year to loose weight that I don't want I pile it all back on only want to gain. What's needed for baby as I've got plenty extra already lol!

Thanks all
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to gain weight during pregnancy...remember you are feeding another living human being as well. Your doctor should give you a goal weight for each visit. Losing weight while pregnant is not advisable..you'll have plenty of time afterwards when you don't have to worry about your body feeding another human being.
  • koreys1990
    koreys1990 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Im due october 1 as of right now and want to loose some weight as well considering im closer to 300lbs agian.. I dont want to get back up to my starting weight. I want to loose weight so I can be healthier for my child this is my second child and i still had baby weight from the first.. You all can add me if you'd like
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 babies and you should not try to lose weight while pregnant, just eat super healthy , walking is great if you are already in the gym you could do the treadmill at in inlcine ect.. your baby needs nutrients to grow proper and strong , all my kids came out healthy ,smart , i gave them the best possible start to their life that I could, that should be your focus hun.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I lost weight in my first trimester, not because I wanted to, but because I was ungodly sick.

Don't worry about losing weight.

Worry about not gaining too much weight. It can be done. I'm 36 weeks pregnant and I haven't even gained 15 pounds.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have three healthy kids and didn't pursue dieting when having them. They don't have anything wrong with them, bar those ridiculous cow licks. I wouldn't risk it. There aer tons of opportunities to exercise with baby these days. Good luck.
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you've very overweight, there's nothing wrong with continuing with your exercise regime and losing weight while pregnant. Assuming that you're getting enough nutrients and are doing so with your physician's guidance.

Even when you go to gain weight, it's pretty much the equivalent of 1 extra PB&J every day. You can just set MFP to gain 1/2lb during that time.
  • loveskinny27
    Options
    Hi all I am now restricting what so ever im eating close to 1800 cals and try and eat a balanced diet. I would not risk harming the baby. It is my 2nd baby (big gap) i have worked so hard to loose the last 31lbs and dont want to gain it back - MY BMI is still classed at overweight so would like to reduce this to reduce risks in later pregnancy and childbirth not only that it will save me having to loose extra after the birth. Obvioucly the babys health comes first.

thank you all for your replys

Jo
  • koreys1990
    koreys1990 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    how do you set it to gain 1/2 lb i havent figured that out?
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I found 2nd pregnancy easier because I knew what not to do, no eating constantly and never moving.
    I put 1/4 less weight on the second time, kept more active and found I recoved signigicantly (like 50%) faster after the birth.
    That was all from parking further from the doors and walking, filling up with more veggies and drinking tea.
    Be kind to yourself. Everything in moderation, even moderation :-)
  • TuesdayMomma
    Options
    Even though I started my pregnancy at 235 lbs, my doctors wanted me to gain 25 lbs for the health of my baby. I ate like I normally did and was not gaining weight. Every appointment it was brought up and they were concerned for my baby.

I did end up gaining 18 lbs and was 227 lbs after delivery. So it was gone and then some.

I'd say don't worry about weight and just eat healthy!
  • splits
    splits Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant with surprise baby #3! I was really trying to lose the weight from my first two pregnancies- I gained way too much with both pregnancies! I have lost about 35lbs so far since September. I have almost lost all the weight from my second pregnancy and have another 12lbs to go to get back to the weight before my first pregnancy (but still overweight). I would like to keep exercising and eating well during this pregnancy to gain as little as possible. I had really hard labors with my first two. I'm hoping having a more healthy pregnancy and being more healthy in general with help with pregnancy #3 and weight loss post pregnancy.

Feel free to add me a friend! Would love to have other preggo friends with the same goals!
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm not now, but I have had three kids. There was recently (in the past five years) a bunch of research done, and it did show that it is safe for overweight women to loose weight while pregnant, or (as others said) to not gain any.

THis isn't the best artiocle, but it gives some of the information I read a few years back.

Just wish I had known/listened to this with my FIRST pregnancy... still working on the weight form that one :)

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20070614/can-pregnancy-loss-be-good