From the North

Options
Hey everone! I just started a couple days ago and I've already lost 3 pounds. I'm up here in a small town in Alaska where it is incredibly cold, incredibly dark, and it makes me SUPER unmotivated to exercise! I'm tired of feeling tired and I need some tips on staying motivated when it is soooooo easy to curl up with a good book.

I joined because I'm getting married in June and I didnt want to pay an extra $150 for the next size up wedding dress. Plus I want more energy and I'm tired of buying bigger jeans when I have some perfectly good ones that would fit if I lost just 10 or 20 pounds.

Replies

• StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am from Minnesota and did not go to a gym until 6 months ago. Before that time I worked out in the garage exclusively. In the summer it was sweltering even with the door open. In the winter I can heat it but dealing with backing the car(s) out and the slushy, slippery floor was annoying. However, I did it for years!

You were looking for tips for motivation in the cold. I hung a chin-up bar in the door to the garage. That helped me a lot when doing P90X, plus I didn't have to deal with the floor. I also hung a TRX knock-off (found how to make it on Youtube) from the ceiling rafters. You can do some extremely tough exercises with that arrangement! The best tip I can give you is mental. Conjur up the image that you are a warrior and working out outside is what you were meant to do.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm in Wisconsin, I can appreciate the cold weather de-motivation. Feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • groke101
    Options
    I'm from Northern England, feel free to add me as a friend.
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm from MN. In Winter months I use my weighted hoola hoop and the treadmill a lot. However, I look out my window and every single day who do I see?? Some Mr. Faithful out there running no matter what the temp or weather conditions are!! But I'm not him and just can't or won't let myself do that!! I'll stick to hoola hooping and the treadmill for now. But when I do see that man jogging daily, he inspires me to at least go hoola hoop to some fun active music or to use the treadmill---then I usually watch some I Love Lucy videos and time flies!
    You'll have to make your own sunshine with the help of your support system around you. Good Luck!:wink:
  • snowshoermom
    snowshoermom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    hey i know how you feel about the cold weather. I am in Manitoba Canada and its been cold here -30's and dropping. I did find something i love doing in the cold weather and snow. Snow shoeing. You can burn anywhere from 600 to 1200 calories from snowshoeing for an hour..
    feel free to add me if you'd like
  • tracyrslim
    tracyrslim Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know I am not up there where it gets super cold and yucky but down here in mississippi 30 degrees can feel pretty cold. I like to do some exercise on the wii fit. My favorite is the step and the yoga.