Workout without a gym

Options
So I am a little lost and falling off tack. Does anyone have good workout tips for things I can do on my own? I have the cardio down (about to start an elliptical and walking routine) but I do not know how to work my muscles. My stomach and arms are VERY soft after loosing 16 lbs and I can tell I am very weak. I know that kicking my butt on cardio without working my muscles is pointless. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Also if anyone wants to be friends to help motivate and keep each other accountable on days/weeks when we slack I would love it. Thanks!!!

Replies

• jwine79
    Options
    There are several workouts you can download on a smart phone or on a Smart TV/DVD. Nike fit is a great example. Any kind of yoga would help you a video or app. I have started on a 100 pushup workout recently I downloaded on my phone. If I had to choose just one I would go get a couple light weights and download Nike Fit.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you have a pinterest account, look at the health and exercise board. There are TONS of workouts that you can mix in with your cardio. I do 30 day shred and ripped in 30 and then add another 10-20 min workout that I find on pinterest to the workout. Good luck!
  • beejelblor
    beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I looked into 3 of the Jillian Michaels videos and ordered 30 day shred, ripped in 30, and 6 week 6 pack and think rotating between them, the elliptical then walking on my relax days will shape me up for sure! Hopefully my downstairs neighbors wont be bothered haha.
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    Do some of the workouts on FitnessBlender channel on Youtube!! :) Free and you can do them at home... :)
  • ScotianDame
    Options
    So I am a little lost and falling off tack. Does anyone have good workout tips for things I can do on my own? I have the cardio down (about to start an elliptical and walking routine) but I do not know how to work my muscles. My stomach and arms are VERY soft after loosing 16 lbs and I can tell I am very weak. I know that kicking my butt on cardio without working my muscles is pointless. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Also if anyone wants to be friends to help motivate and keep each other accountable on days/weeks when we slack I would love it. Thanks!!!

Well, I don't know if you're into gaming at all-- but if you've got a Kinect for the 360, I find the recently released game of Nike+ Fitness is really good. It sets you up with one of two personal trainers who, by the by, are actual folks, and sets up a workout program for 4 weeks after it finds out your fitness level.

It's got three workout programs. Tone muscle, which just adds definition to what you have already; Build Muscle, which helps you bulk up if that's what you want; or, Burn Fat, which has a lot of cardio to really get your blood pumping. What's more is, if you have an mp3 player, and a proper usb cord, before playing the game you can plug that in, and play it as your workout music.

It also helps keep track of the calories you've burned. When you feel you've become more fit, you can retake the fitness test from the beginning, and see how far you've come. :)
  • defaultoprime
    Options
    DDP YOGA... It's not free, but it's worth the spend...

What is it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Nike training club, free app. I love it. If I'd known about it before I joined a gym, I wouldn't have joined. Every bit as good as a personal trainer.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I work out at home too. Is there any way you could buy a barbell and weight plates? You can probably find some used ones for cheap online. I have those and the kind of dumbbells you can add plates to(like mini barbells). There are some pretty good simple begginer weightlifting programs out there. I started with New Rules of Lifting and just adapted it to what i had to work with. Good luck!
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I looked into 3 of the Jillian Michaels videos and ordered 30 day shred, ripped in 30, and 6 week 6 pack and think rotating between them, the elliptical then walking on my relax days will shape me up for sure! Hopefully my downstairs neighbors wont be bothered haha.

This sounds perfect! Those DVD's are not as easy as they appear to be! You will really enjoy them! I know that I really like 30DS! Though, I was super sore after the first day... so if you don't do strength training (which, from the sound you are where I'm at!)
  • Wickedone1973
    Options
    Stew Smith's 45 beginner Program is good if you are just starting and don't have equipment at home. It has a lot of body weight exercises. It's free to download on his website, just google it.
  • abigaillong1232
    Options
    i have xbox kinect and your fitness 2012 :) really helps
  • ScotianDame
    Options
    Stew Smith's 45 beginner Program is good if you are just starting and don't have equipment at home. It has a lot of body weight exercises. It's free to download on his website, just google it.

Looking into buying that, too. I love that it has Yoga. I think it'd be a good workout for my 'in between days' for Nike. Even still, tried the trial for it and laughed at myself while getting a decent workout.
  • fowlerly
    fowlerly Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I do interval training on the treadmill for cardio and Jillan Micheals videos. I have a couple days left of level 2 of 30 day shred and thn Ono level 3. I also got extreme shred, shred ith weights and ripped in 30. I just have o decide which video I'm going to do...thinking ripped in 30.

I'm going to check out thy Nike app.
  • mlima14
    mlima14 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a lot of money to buy weights the best thing is calisthenics. You use your own body weight to build muscle and at the same time it's cardio. For example push-ups, there are many variations of the push according to your strength level, plus they work various muscle groups, another are squats you can work them slowly to work more of the muscles or quickly. Another is the plank which works your core. Try looking the various exercises on the net and you'll find a lot of them that without weights or a gym you could tone and build some muscle.
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    www.michellebridges.com.au = BRILLIANT
  • beejelblor
    beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!! A lot of really great suggestions I will look into! You should see me attempt at a plank... it is a sad sight haha. Hopefully within 3 month I can do planks and pushups no prob!
  • fuzzymop55
    fuzzymop55 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to come up with a routine to do at home and using things in house.