Need some shoe advice!

Options
Hi pals,

I recently got myself analyzed for pronation at a running store. Turns out I over-pronate. So I got stabilizing running shoes. But now when I read information about pronation online, I don't see the same wear-patterns on my old shoe-soles as I should see for overpronation. I see all mixed information on pronation. Kind of confused here if I bought the right shoes (spent a lot on them :( ). So if someone could point me to good resources online or provide some advice, that would be very helpful.
Thanks!

Replies

• nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This isn't as direct an answer, but I also had stabilizing shoes for similar problems and orthopedic shoes (I tore my achilles three years ago) and way too many expensive custom things and I was just miserable (and wasting tons of money) until I switched to Vibrams (first classic and now KMD). Just a recommendation for something a little outside of the box.
  • srhenderson85
    srhenderson85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree about the Vibrams. I've had problems with my ankles and pronation issues my whole life. I got a pair of Vibrams as a reward for finishing my first 5k last October and they are amazing. I feel so stable and my ankles don't roll like they used to. I was told there would probably be a period of time that my body would take to adjust, but I didn't even experience that. I would never have dreamed that a shoe could make such a big difference.

I'm not sure how recently you bought the other shoes, or what kind of store you bought them from, but the place where I got my Vibrams sells all kinds of running shoes and will accept them as an exchange, even after some use, for up to 30 days after purchase. If you aren't sure about your purchase, I would start by going back to the store and seeing what they have to say.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Barefoot shoes have also been great for me, and I also had stabilisation issues. With traditional shoes meant for people who need more stability, I still had knee and ankle pain. Same with squishier, ultra padded shoes. I don't have that sort of pain at all anymore. Love my barefoot shoes!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    There's all kinds of mixed and misinformation out there.

What kind of distances do you run, and how do they feel? If you're running shorter distances (3 miles or less), or if they feel good when you run in them (especially longer distances, like 5 miles or more), you're fine.

If things ache differently in them, especially if it's a joint ache (as opposed to a muscle ache), you might need something a little different.

Everybody's feet are different, and everybody moves them differently. scope out Good Form Running (google it), and see if you can see any of your bad habits explained. Not all wear on the bottom of a shoe is due to pronation, some can be due to bad form (as well, or separately).
  • tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was "diagnosed" as an over-pronator as well and put into some Brooks. Not long after, I developed a constant cramping pain in one calf and achilles tendonitis in the other foot. I tried to run through it, thinking that the "experts" put me in this shoe, so it must be ok. Nothing against the Brooks, but they definitely weren't for me. I haven't been brave enough to try the Vibrams yet (I walk and jog where there is a lot of gravel and rocks), but I now swear by my Nike Free Runs. They are super light and let my feet do what they're built to do. LOVE them!
  • Lsteedly85
    Lsteedly85 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When it comes to shoes, after you have been "fitted" it pretty much is a trial and error... Most running shoe stores and finish line have a 15 day trial period. After 4 pair of trying for a week or two at a time then returning, I finally found Asics Numbus that fits perfect for me, but I did have to go up half a size... and if you google proper way to tie shoes, there are different styles that can help. Yesterday when I ran 10 miles it was like running on air the entire time. Good luck on finding your perfect pair!! :)