I'm gaining weight. PLEASE HELP!

Options
I hit a plateau two weeks ago, then starting gaining weight, one pound each week (a total of 2lbs gained). I am 40 years old, 5'2 and currently 228lbs (started at 250 in early December). I set my goal into increments and was one pound short of my first goal of 225lbs. I was feeling very good physically, as well as emotionally for the 24lbs I had already lost. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet I think maybe two days within a month, I went over my calories by 100-150 calories) and do not exercise, simply because I hate it. Feeling desperate, I am ordering an exercise machine and a set of dumb bells because I would like for my body to look good with future weight loss so I will commit to exercising. My question is, even if I up my calories, it seems backwards that I would lose. If I exercise, do I eat back the same number of calories I burn and will still lose weight? I'm scared to eat more for fear of gaining even more. I have never even been this successful losing weight by really watching what I eat and I'm trying not to get discouraged. Also, at my current weight, which would be more beneficial to me, cardio, strengthening, or toning? Any advice is welcome including constructive criticism. I am desperate right now.

Replies

• wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It may sound backwards to eat more to lose weight, but your body needs a certain amount of calories just to maintain basic body functions. Use the BMR calculator in the Apps option on the MFP website to get your minimum which should be 1657.

And read this for more good info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Reeree72
    Reeree72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. I just read the link. All of this "dieting the right" way is still new to me and I'm trying to get as much useful information as I can. Wow, this thing gets complexed (not in understanding it) but how deep it goes. Yes, I'm fustrated, but I have to keep at this. Thanks again.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there. I was where you are so I understand. Good luck!!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Try & not worry too much. You lost almost 25lbs in 2 months which is A LOT especially in such a short amount of time.
    One time I lost almost 20lbs in 2 months & was having health problems & ended up in the hospital.
    Your body might be trying to put on the breaks from losing so much so quickly.
    Keep eating well like you have been & doing a combo of cardio & strength exercises & you should keep losing. Just don't be so upset if you start to lose slower than you have been - it's totally normal & often the slower gradual process is better for the long term.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    It may sound backwards to eat more to lose weight, but your body needs a certain amount of calories just to maintain basic body functions. Use the BMR calculator in the Apps option on the MFP website to get your minimum which should be 1657.

And read this for more good info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Props!
    Was going to post but im finding that lately I dont have to!
    ;D
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried doing pilates? It might help you a little bit and it's not high impact and the moves are relatively easy and can be modified if it's too hard. I wasn't a fan of exercise until I discovered pilates.
  • janerfitnesspal145
    Options
    I know it sounds weird, but it is true, you still have to eat to lose. I know when I was eating 1,200 or less calories a day, I wasn't losing (and I do exercise with the wii). I upped my calories to around 1,500 - 1,800 (depending on how much I work out) and the weight started coming off. Just make sure the extra calories are good ones and watch your sodium. My husband can eat combo fried rice for dinner and gain 5 pounds the next morning, then he loses all 5 pounds within a day or two! I also dislike exercising, so a few years ago we bought a wii and the wii fit plus, it is still exercising, but it's more fun and I can see how many calories I'm burning with each exercise. I found exercising with my husband keeps us both motivated (we do stretches and basic yoga together), plus he won't do stretches unless I do them at the same time. Good luck!
  • janerfitnesspal145
    Options
    As a side note, my current status shows a one pound weight loss, because we just started using MFP. I've actually lost over 40 pounds the past two years and managed to keep it off (yeah me!), now going for those last 40 pounds to my goal weight.
  • delutedsoul
    delutedsoul Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My wife is having this kind of issue. She's lost 30 pounds,but now she can stay under her calories and exercise. Yet at the end of the week she's not losing anything. She's starting to lose the drive. Does anyone have a few ideas I could give her. Thanks in advance guys.
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you aren't loosing weight while staying at a deficit, in most cases, the solution is a week or so of eating more calories. Set your profile to a half pound higher than your current loss goals, and eat at those calories for a week, see if it jumpstarts the loosing again.

Also, I know it may spark some negative comments, but try cutting out some of the soda's. I know that even cutting out 95% of the diet soda's I was drinking has definitely helped me. Also, get as much water in your system as possible.

A bunch of random thoughts I know, but in about 60 days I have dropped 46 lbs, so its definitely working for me :)
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My two favorite tools are a digital food scale and a high quality heart rate monitor. You may already have these, but if not...they can be a great asset. For example, MFP's numbers for a "medium banana" are completely unusable. That could be a 30-50 calorie difference that will add up. Also, MFP usually gives me 200 calories more per workout than my HRM gives me--which would cause someone to "eat back" way more than they should.

You have done great so far and might just need little tweaks like these instead of entire regimen changes.
  • Reeree72
    Options
    It skimmed across my mind but you are the first person to suggest it. Everyone on here seems to be doing cardio and I just assumed that was the way to go. I might give it a try but I think right now, I need to get my heart pumping, I think. Thank you so much.
  • Reeree72
    Options
    You are right! I have a Wii and have plenty to get me going but I was so focused on calories before I took the initiative to start exercising. As I recall, they do keep track of your progress. Are you toning as well? I'm scared of losing it without toning.
  • Reeree72
    Options
    Wow, you're doing great! A big congratulations! It seems like the more I continue, the more I have to keep changing but until you said so, you have a very valid point. Thanx
  • Reeree72
    Options
    Each and every one of you have been great. I really needed that.