Hello and question re Kcals and Cals

Options
Hello my name is Darren and I live in the South West Uk, I have joined this site as the tracker was recommended by a firend, how fantastic I am already finding it, however I notice that the tracker uses calories yet a lot of the stuff I am eating is in Kcals, For example, I ate a homemade chicken laksa last night, it was really nice, with a recipe from a health food book that was purchased for me. The listing shows the Kcals at 166 per 150g serving, does this mean that if I ate 4 servings which was 600g that I indeed ate 6640 calories therefore giving one portion of 150g serving a calorie value of 1660 cals..please help as i am confused by this. thankyou

Replies

• curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    erm, at my working if you ate 600g you would have taken in 664cal as its 166cal per 150g (kcal and cal are the same thing)
  • clairebear82
    Options
    Hello and welcome :-)

simple answer, Kcals is calories so your original portion size and calculation was correct, 150kcals per 100g means a 400g serving is 600 calories.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    technically/scientifically kcals are a kilocalorie which is 1000 calories but for the purpose of food/dieting they are used interchangeably and mean the same thing..... no need to do math
    :flowerforyou:
  • s_biddo
    s_biddo Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Darren you ate 664 cals in that lovely meal, Hope you enjoyed it.
    It sounded nice anyway xx
  • DARDEBVER
    DARDEBVER Posts: 3
    Options
    Thankyou so much that has definately clarified it for me, at one point I actually thought that I had consumed so much calories that I was going to have to eat a thimble full of food per day...