CRAVING WINGS!! HELP

Options
Suggestion, what can I do for a more healthier alternative? I'm craving wings, drenched in ranch, all that good stuff.. help, help, help! :sad:

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I just roast mine in the oven with nothing but some herb/garlic salt and smoked paprika till really crispy. Can't you just buy low fat ranch?
  • mike_gee15
    Options
    I just roast mine in the oven with nothing but some herb/garlic salt and smoked paprika till really crispy. Can't you just buy low fat ranch?

Guess I can. That sounds really good, I'm not gonna lie. I'll try that this week!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Have some wings then. Make your own lower calories dressing, if you're worried about calories. BW3 wings are about 80 calories each. I've had wings twice in the last month. (Once with dressing, once withou.) Still have lost 8 lbs!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    :)
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Ranch is gross. The smell makes me want to vomit. Did that gross you out enough so much that you don't crave them anymore? :happy:

But, no, seriously, what's wrong with wings? Go to KFC and get the grilled wings.
  • breckinloggins
    Options
    It's hard to say without knowing your diet. If you're just counting your calories, have the wings but calculate beforehand EXACTLY how many you can have and how much dip you can have. This is the main problem with extremely calorie dense food: one or two extra pieces is the difference between staying within your calorie budget and blowing it out of the water.

I actually recommend doing stuff like this on purpose, at least at first. I've found that allowing myself to eat things when I crave them has helped me to:

- Learn how to figure out exactly how much of it I can eat

- Develop self control to ONLY eat that amount

- Convince my inner child that it's not being deprived. I think this is THE major reason diets fail and people usually pay the weight back with interest.

Ironically, I've found that by allowing myself to have these kinds of foods (within limits) and exercising that right on occasion helps me to NOT eat those foods as often. A cheeseburger just doesn't have the same "sex appeal" when you know you can have one.

Think about this: what's the ONE thing that overweight folks tend to envy about skinny folks? If I had to guess, it'd be their ability to "just have one donut". Think about it: there are people on this planet who can eat whatever they want and not get fat. True, some of those people are just blessed with a turbocharged metabolism, but is that really all there is to it? If we look closer, we often find that our skinnier friends naturally choose healthier foods more often, and when they do eat something unhealthy, they don't make a big deal out of it. They say "a slice of pizza sounds good" or "I'll have a donut". What do most of US say? "Well, I promised myself I wouldn't have a donut and I did anyway... so *kitten* it... I'm going to eat 10 donuts!"

I think one of the most important things we can do for our long term success is to teach ourselves how to lose our obsession with the "bad foods". People used to say "just have them in moderation", but that used to be a lot harder. Now, with MFP, it's really easy to calculate EXACTLY how many wings you can have. All it takes is the discipline.

If you can learn how to have unhealthy foods in moderation, then you will have slayed this particularly nasty dragon.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has healthy wing flavored recipes. Here is a buffalo chicken dip and there is even buffalo cauliflower bites that my friend said were great and she doesn't like cauliflower. Try to get the craving without the calories or figure out if you really want it or are bored or emotional. But I know if I have a craving that I do better if I have a lil of what I want instead of trying to kill it with lots and lots of unsatisfying substitutes. Unless of course it's a trigger food and once you start, you can't stop.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/lighter-buffalo-chicken-dip.html?m=1
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was craving my non diet buffalo chicken dip which has ranch and blue cheese and cream cheese and cheddar cheese etc etc,, so unhealthy.. so I made a healthier alternative and used it as a dressing over some shredded chicken breast in a wrap it was good.

regular buffalo sauce- 1 serving
    Fat free greek yogurt- enough to make it creamy
    a small drip (less than a serving) of ranch or blue cheese

stir it up and pour just enough on a bake chicken breast to make you satisfied. Save the rest for next time. Eat with lots of veggies or celery..

mmm.. didnt feel deprived at all.. and it was good enough for me
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I say grab some wings.... enjoy them and move on. That's the best way to deal with cravings. As soon as you're depriving yourself of foods you like, you're just going to start loathing your eating habits.... just do things in moderation....
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Another option would be to create the sensation of the wings with something healthier. Bone-in chicken thighs or ribs, remove skin and excess fat. So you'll have the eating-with-hands feel of the wing. Try this recipe (for an entire chicken, adjust cooking times as required) to make something similar that will be really tasty. Add more spice if you like your wings hot:

Marinade the chicken in a mix of spices (freshly toasted & ground if you can be bothered) - use chilli powder, tumeric, paprika & cumin - plus some fresh garlic in a few big spoons of low fat natural yoghurt. Leave in there for at least 4 hours (ideally do this the night before).

Preheat the over to about 200c/400F. When you're ready, take the chicken out of the marinade, put on a roasting rack in a baking dish and throw into the oven for as long as it takes. I'd only be guessing, but a full chook takes about 75min, so you'll need to test it regularly (skewer in thickest bits, juices should run clear) - start at 20min and go from there?

Dress the chicken with a bit of salt & pepper and your choice of flavours (hot sauce, lemon/lime juice, etc) and you're done. If you want a creamy sauce, make a bit extra of the marinade but leave out the garlic. Obviously DON'T use left over marinade that the chicken was in, that would be nasty (and bad for you most likely).

Hope this helps.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Can't help with the wings, but for ranch....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/880636-low-cal-ranch-dressing
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I love me some wings. I just buy the frozen ones from Kroger/Wal-Mart, toss them in the oven, then add a bit of sauce to them then they are done. I am a huge fan of hot sauces though, so that generally works to my benefit in the calorie department.
  • agct1
    agct1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Use boneless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces with Buffalo 'Shake and Bake', prepared per package directions (shake the pieces in the mix, bake for 20 minutes). Pour some Frank's hot sauce over the top and eat with low fat dressing! (I buy the ranch packet and mix with greek yogurt). That was our super-bowl dinner!
  • rositalf911
    Options
    check out cook yourself thin and see if there is a lower calorie way of making wings. or even the skinnytaste recipes you can find online. you dont have to give up your cravings, just learn different ways to cook them and cut out a lot of useless (bad) calories. i love both of the sites and eat very well thanks to them!! good luck.:smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Use boneless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces with Buffalo 'Shake and Bake', prepared per package directions (shake the pieces in the mix, bake for 20 minutes). Pour some Frank's hot sauce over the top and eat with low fat dressing! (I buy the ranch packet and mix with greek yogurt). That was our super-bowl dinner!

is this healthier/less fat/less calories than the regular ones? because they sound easy, and tasty!
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am a ranch-a-holic. I love the full fat hidden valley ranch and everything else tastes fo funky to me. So to cut calories and make it taste right i mix equal parts of regular hidden valley ranch, light hidden valley ranch, and bolthouse yogurt ranch. Usually I will mix up a 1/2 cup of each and keep a tub in the fridge and just count how many tbs I use.
    For the chicken wings if you like light meat use some boneless skinless chicken breast. If you like dark meat go for boneless skinless thighs. Prepare a bowl with your egg wash. If watching fat use egg white only. For the breading I use a little bit of flour, like a 1/8th cup, about 1/2 cup of potato flakes, and about 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese. I love to grind some rosemary, thyme and sage on a mortar and add for a great herb flavor. If you want kick add some cayenne and chipotle pepper spice to dry ingredients, add siracha to the egg. I will coat chicken in egg, then shake in a baggie in dry ingredients and pan fry in the smallest pan with a little coconut oil on low on a gas stove. I use minimal oil and low heat so they dont get super greasy and the oil doesn't burn. Also I use paper towels after and pat the extra grease off. Sorry for the long post and if my recipe is a little jumbled or hard to follow lol. I just do it, never tried writing it down haha.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has healthy wing flavored recipes. Here is a buffalo chicken dip and there is even buffalo cauliflower bites that my friend said were great and she doesn't like cauliflower. Try to get the craving without the calories or figure out if you really want it or are bored or emotional. But I know if I have a craving that I do better if I have a lil of what I want instead of trying to kill it with lots and lots of unsatisfying substitutes. Unless of course it's a trigger food and once you start, you can't stop.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/lighter-buffalo-chicken-dip.html?m=1

OMG THe cauliflower bites are DELICIOUS...I'm not a huge fan of cauliflower either, but mmmmm they're yummy.
    You can also make your own ranch with greek yogurt & ranch dressing packets....I actually find I like it more than actual ranch
  • mike_gee15
    Options
    It's hard to say without knowing your diet. If you're just counting your calories, have the wings but calculate beforehand EXACTLY how many you can have and how much dip you can have. This is the main problem with extremely calorie dense food: one or two extra pieces is the difference between staying within your calorie budget and blowing it out of the water.

I actually recommend doing stuff like this on purpose, at least at first. I've found that allowing myself to eat things when I crave them has helped me to:

- Learn how to figure out exactly how much of it I can eat

- Develop self control to ONLY eat that amount

- Convince my inner child that it's not being deprived. I think this is THE major reason diets fail and people usually pay the weight back with interest.

Ironically, I've found that by allowing myself to have these kinds of foods (within limits) and exercising that right on occasion helps me to NOT eat those foods as often. A cheeseburger just doesn't have the same "sex appeal" when you know you can have one.

Think about this: what's the ONE thing that overweight folks tend to envy about skinny folks? If I had to guess, it'd be their ability to "just have one donut". Think about it: there are people on this planet who can eat whatever they want and not get fat. True, some of those people are just blessed with a turbocharged metabolism, but is that really all there is to it? If we look closer, we often find that our skinnier friends naturally choose healthier foods more often, and when they do eat something unhealthy, they don't make a big deal out of it. They say "a slice of pizza sounds good" or "I'll have a donut". What do most of US say? "Well, I promised myself I wouldn't have a donut and I did anyway... so *kitten* it... I'm going to eat 10 donuts!"

I think one of the most important things we can do for our long term success is to teach ourselves how to lose our obsession with the "bad foods". People used to say "just have them in moderation", but that used to be a lot harder. Now, with MFP, it's really easy to calculate EXACTLY how many wings you can have. All it takes is the discipline.

If you can learn how to have unhealthy foods in moderation, then you will have slayed this particularly nasty dragon.

I know my calorie limit and my macros, I'm currently training to do a show sometime in 2014 hopefully, but thanks man, I get where you're coming from. I had to deal with moderation and limits back when I was my heaviest but I've leaned out fairly nice and I'm just having that craving man! lol
  • mike_gee15
    Options
    Thanks you guys! Once I get to go grocery shopping, I'll get all this stuff and hopefully try some out! Thanks for the help!!