800 calories adversely affecting my weight loss?

Options
I'm being proactive. I haven't seen any adverse effects yet and I feel great! I'll give you background information on my situation. I'm 18, 5'1, and 177 pounds (highest weight 182/ 1-28-13). I've been eating approximately 800 calories a day and don't feel hungry. I do take a multivitamin and drink 8-10 oz of water a day. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and have also started drinking protein shakes due to the fact that power 90 has weight lifting in it. I also started power 90 officially today (been doing it on and off for awhile) mixed with some activities on my wii fit plus. Do I need to make a change or am I alright?

Replies

• Chebeau
    Chebeau Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Based on articles I have read and commentary on this forum, you should be eating more calories. There several knowledgeable posters who can explain the ins and outs of how many calories one should be consuming for healthy, successful weight loss.
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Trust me there is no need to eat so little. You may be happy stepping on that scale and seeing the numbers move quickly, but in the long wrong run you are doing more harm. If you go about this the right way you will be less likely to gain weight back in the future.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    You're eating about half of what you're minimum intake should be. I suspect you'll experience classic YOYO dieter's syndrome if you don't change your eating habits to a healthier approach.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You're eating about half of what you're minimum intake should be. I suspect you'll experience classic YOYO dieter's syndrome if you don't change your eating habits to a healthier approach.

^^ I agree with this.

Do something more sustainable :)
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You will end up thin and flabby and then when you eat normally, your weight will come back faster than ever. It is far, far better to eat a reasonable number of calories and combine it with exercise. I yo-yo dieted for a decade - believe me, it won't work. I had a lot of discipline too and I could do the dreadful restrictive Phase I that most diets have. I could even eat almost nothing but herbal tea and vegetable juice for a week! I felt great when I was doing it, lost "weight" fast. But every time I went back to eating normally, I got fatter faster. It has taken years to undo the damage and it's still a battle. I have said it before and I'll say it again. Trust me on this one - you will thank yourself when you're 50!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    your metabolism will drop and weight loss will stall. you will lose muscle mass and have a higher body fat percentage. eat 1600 caloriea and eat your exercise calories back then get back t us.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Do I need to make a change or am I alright?

you're pretty far from alright. start by doubling your calorie intake.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Do I need to make a change or am I alright?

you're pretty far from alright. start by doubling your calorie intake.

yep
  • Wakeupwaisted
    Wakeupwaisted Posts: 25 Member
    Options

So I should be eating 1600 calories? My BMR is apprx. 1600 calories. It'll take me years to get to my goal weight. Most of the time I try to eat close to 1100-1200 calories, high protein and fiber. ( tends to be high in sugar too due to fruits)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So what if it takes you years? It's not a race. As long as you get to your goal..isn't that what matters? Not just losing weight but getting fit/healthy?

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865230-resources-and-references

For those eating below their BMR (which I think 1200 is below your BMR to be honest), not going to preach at you, but here's something you might want to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/859495-if-only-i-had-known?page=1#posts-12919931

For the whole eating under a 1000 calories, look...you are going to do what you want but check out the link below at some of the stories of people who thought it was okay (especially because they weren't "feeling" hungry a lot of times) but ended up regretting it. These links are just information for you to be aware of.http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3-reasons-why-eating-less-than-1000-calories-is-a-waste-of-time-3347.html

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I wish I had never done this to myself when I was your age. It screwed up my metabolism for YEARS. I didn't have a resource like MFP to guide me in the right direction, just the influence of my friends- blind leading the blind. Please reconsider your intake.
  • mindymolson
    Options
    A doctor would tell you to always maintain at least 1200 net calories. You're burning muscle & messing up your metabolism. As someone with hypothyroidsm, I can promise you're gonna need to keep your metabolism going healthy.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

So I should be eating 1600 calories? My BMR is apprx. 1600 calories. It'll take me years to get to my goal weight. Most of the time I try to eat close to 1100-1200 calories, high protein and fiber. ( tends to be high in sugar too due to fruits)

It most likely won't take you years. But even if it did, that's besides the point. The goal is to be healthy, forever. Not to drop a bunch of weight quick only to gain it back later with a deteriorated metabolism and body composition on top of it. Act healthy. Live healthy. It will take as long as it takes; but the moment you change your lifestyle for the better, success is yours starting right at that moment.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    I'm 5'2, 19, started at 156 and regularly ate at 850 calories or lower for several years. Trust me. You need to up your calories. Once I did I started losing fat and began regaining muscle (as you won't be building any with such a low amount). Try to get up to 1200-1400. That's around where I am most days and am trying to increase it as my appetite adjusts to a higher quantity. I hope to eventually get it up to 1500-1600. Your body will thank you in the long run.

edit: it will take about a month for your body to adjust, but it won't take years to lose weight. Eat enough healthy foods and focus on some strength training. Your body will take care of the rest. I lost 11lbs in 4 months just from changing my diet.
  • mindymolson
    Options
    Fruits & veggies are great! But you need a balanced diet. Bmr is what your body burns doing normal functions, like sleeping, breathing, eating, etc..
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" also.
    I stopped listening to my doctor when she told me to keep eating less & less & eventually told me to eat only 800 calories.
    Once I stopped listening to her & ate better I got healthy. Thank god I was blessed with a brain of my own.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    never eat below your bmr.

you will lose weight...dont worry
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Trust me, I know the urge to drastically slash your calories is tempting in order to reach your goal quicker, but please take some advice from someone who has experienced the adverse effects of doing just that; Don't do it. Eating below your BMR for extended periods of time (think months) can lead to a decreased metabolism, which will end up hindering and slowing down, possibly even stopping, your weight loss, and it can take months, even years to recover from that and get your metabolism back up to a normal level.

I lost 100 lbs by drastically cutting my calories at eating about 1000-1200 calories a day. And then my weight loss completely stalled for two years. I increased my intake, and ended up gaining back about 17 lbs, but it had to be done in order to get my metabolism back to where it needed to be. Once it regulated, I went back down to 1600 calories a day (plus exercise calories, so roughly 1900-2000 calories a day) and lost the remaining 34 lbs.

If I hadn't tried to speed up the process, it would have probably only taken me a year, maybe a year and a half to hit my goal. Instead, it ended up taking me three years.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I wish I had never done this to myself when I was your age. It screwed up my metabolism for YEARS. I didn't have a resource like MFP to guide me in the right direction, just the influence of my friends- blind leading the blind. Please reconsider your intake.

^^This. 100x this.