Corsets

Options
Does anybody use a corset? I've read that wearing one frequently can take about 4 inches off your waist line over time. I'm thinking of buying one but was hoping for some feedback.

Replies

• powership00
    powership00 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I thought those were banned, unless you are Lady Gaga.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    So from what I've read (and I've never actually tried it so this is only based on reading that I've done) if you wear one pretty much all the time, your organs move around (similar to pregnancy) so you waist will be smaller but not due to fat loss. I've also read that it can make your core muscles weaker (with constant wear) because your body doesn't use them and cause shortness of breath (because your organs are pushing against your lungs).

Again this is just what I read and may or may not be true, however, based on that alone, I wouldn't do it...
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    they're fine, as long as you don't wear it all the time and not tightlacing. Better to permanently reduce your waistline with fitness.
  • adwilkins0521
    adwilkins0521 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I thought those were banned, unless you are Lady Gaga.
    Haha you can get them to be worn under your clothes. I don't want to make any fashion statements. Lol
  • adwilkins0521
    adwilkins0521 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    they're fine, as long as you don't wear it all the time and not tightlacing. Better to permanently reduce your waistline with fitness.
    I don't really plan to wear one ALL the time, i just have some cute shirts that are meant to be tight and until I can lose my belly fat I want something to help in that area. That is crazy about moving your organs tho. I'll have to research more.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't really plan to wear one ALL the time, i just have some cute shirts that are meant to be tight and until I can lose my belly fat I want something to help in that area.
    Then I'd suggest Spanx rather than a corset.
  • justagirlgeek
    justagirlgeek Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I often cosplay at cons and wear my steampunk gear, which includes corsets.
    I look GREAT in my corset, but they're REALLY uncomfortable and, yep, dangerous to wear often.

If worn too often or too tightly, they cause fainting, loss of breath, damage your ribs and/or organs.

So, no. They're not really a good way to lose those inches permanently. :)
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    For temporary reduction? Yeah, they can be a quick fix to fit in clothes. However prolonged wear is definitely not suggested for the reasons already mentioned. They can do some serious damage. Spanx and other such shapewear would be a better solution.

edit: and if you do decide to go for a corset, don't buy the cheap ones with plastic boning. They are horrible at keeping their shape and are then useless for shapewear. Look for steel boning.
  • Pink_Tina
    Options
    Extended wear of a corset will move your internal organs around as someone mentioned. Occasional wear is fine, but not meant to help get rid of fat.

Now, if you just want something to help mold your figure to a better shape under tight shirts, I'd go with shape wear. You can get it at Target, Walmart, Sears, you name it. I always wear one under a form fitting dress. :flowerforyou:
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do not currently own one. but I plan to get one instead of wearing a dumb bra! Bra's hold toxins in your skin where they sit which isn't good either!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, there were "fainting" couches because of corset wearing. And women that wore them all day were having painful times after removal. I learned about this from plantation house we visited here in Livermore.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Cathie Jung, woman with the smallest waist achieved it with "corseting".

Her husband is an orthopedic surgeon. I can't believe he allowed his wife to take it this far. Then again, maybe she is his Frankenstein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrx3jgqJy1E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXRrkV1nVh8
  • ephemerata
    ephemerata Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You mentioned wanting one to reduce your waist, and then you mentioned wanting to flatten your abdominal area under tight clothing, so it looks like you don't mean reduction due to tightlacting. A corset won't provide a flat base for clothing on top due to the boning and fabric. I think you're talking more about Spanx and girdles which are intended for that purpose.

Edit: Also..
    I do not currently own one. but I plan to get one instead of wearing a dumb bra! Bra's hold toxins in your skin where they sit which isn't good either!

What? What are you talking about?
  • 5auce
    5auce Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not a corset but I've been known to rock the shiz out of a girdle. It didn't slim my waist but I did gain about a B cup...too bad it was on my back.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    ummm.... no!:noway:
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I don't really plan to wear one ALL the time, i just have some cute shirts that are meant to be tight and until I can lose my belly fat I want something to help in that area. That is crazy about moving your organs tho. I'll have to research more.

If you have tight shirts that you want to wear you should probably wear Spanx under it or something. A corset is going to show really bad underneath a tight shirt. You'll have lumps and lines everywhere lol
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i like these :
    http://www.hourglassangel.com/waist-cincher

but you do not lose 1-4 inches. that's a huge lie :laugh: downside i it's made of some type of rubber so i can get pretty hot.

this really makes me sad about the state of science education in the modern era. i mean c'mon people, it's 2013, not 1013. there really is no excuse for this :cry:
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'd say get some Spanx.

Much smoother looking if you're planning to wear it under clothing ... But not very sexy looking.
  • Kmanouchehri90
    Kmanouchehri90 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be able to breathe, personally.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Interesting that next to your question to start the thread there is an ad for corsets. Ninerfbuff is correct about the fainting couches. That's what smelling salts were for, too, since they needed to be revived after being deprived of oxygen because they couldn't take a deep breath. When women wore corsets from the time they were in their early teens, even into pregnancy until they couldn't wear them any longer, and resumed after, their ribs were deformed much like the feet of the Chinese women that were bound. The deformation of the ribs left no room for the lungs to expand, interfered with the heart doing its job, cramped the liver, stomach, pancreas and spleen. It was one of the cruelest fashion fads of all time. Unless you are still growing, it will never do anything permanent to your waistline except make it hurt. They might be fun to wear for a short period of time, if it fits comfortably, and if you intend to have it taken off of you soon after putting it on. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. The shapewear that is available today is really just another word for "girdle" like our mothers and grandmothers wore. It can help you look smoother under your clothes, but nothing will keep you that way except exercise and strength training. Work your abs so you can bare them and show them off, not hide them under a corset.