Is it a problem I'm never going over my carbs?

Options
Hi,

I'm always over on my FATS and PROTEINS but never over on my carbs?

I usually make my 1200 calories (or 100-200 over) but should I be worried about changing what I eat to get more carbs?

Would it mean that my diet is more balanced?

Cheers,
James

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'd take a look at your daily nutrient intake. Whole grains are a great source of dietary fiber, which helps reduce blood cholesterol and lowers your risk for heart disease and diabetes. Fiber is also great for keeping you full for long periods of time without too many calories. Grains are also a great source of B vitamins, which help regulate metabolism and keep your nervous system in tip top shape. They're also loaded with minerals (particularly iron, magnesium for healthy bones, and selenium for a strong immune system). Grains aren't the only way to get all that, but if you're low in any of those areas, it's an easy way to bump em up.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you are using the default MFP settings, they tend to be high on carbs and low on protein and fat. You can go into goals and customize your macros so that they reflect how you prefer to eat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    If you are using the default MFP settings, they tend to be high on carbs and low on protein and fat. You can go into goals and customize your macros so that they reflect how you prefer to eat.

I found them to be fairly close on fat, for me at least (30% default), but yeah, the carbs are way too damned high.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hmm.
    You are a guy eating at 1200?
    Brace for the storm.

But that is a generally accepted bad idea.
  • Thanatic
    Thanatic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hmm.
    You are a guy eating at 1200?
    Brace fr the storm.
    But that a generally accepted bad idea.

Well, its more a guideline then a rule :-)

But I'm just doing what MFP tells me to do, I was at 1300/1400 or something and re-did my goals a few months back and I was switched to a 1200 diet.

My breakfast is OATS, my lunch is vegetable soup, my dinner is meat and salad. Sometimes I cook a few chips...

I snack on a doughnut or chocolate or biscuits. (controlled portions!) and most of the time I'm at 1200.

Seems ok...

Cheers,
    James
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    What is your height and weight?
    How active are you?
  • ADITAHealth
    Options
    I read a book called Wheat Belly, by cardiologist Dr.Davis. He would support keeping carbs on the low side, about 50 grams per day. He advocates absolutely avoiding "healty whole grains." Contrary to popular opinion, grains (especially wheat) raise cholesterol and triglycerides and increase the risk of heart disease and diabetes. Grains produce small cholesterol particles that are hazardous and provoke inflammation, leading to plaque build-up and heart disease. Whole wheat bread spikes one's blood sugar more than a chocolate bar. Grains are responible for today's diabetes epidemic, says Dr. Davis. Grains (again, wheat in particular) lead to weight gain and a host of other health problems, including auto-immune diseases. There is a Wheat Belly blog with hundreds of entries from people that have enjoyed improvements in their health and weight by cutting out wheat and eliminating grains (including oatmeal, rice, corn and so on). Grains have fiber but wheat contains gliadin that acts like an opiate in the brain and stimulates appetite. That's why people who eat wheat struggle with their weight, according to Dr. Davis.

I believe Dr. Davis is on the right track. I have adopted his style of eating, but in my case I'm doing it more for heart health, not weight. I am a male, 6' tall and weigh 152 lbs. Ten years ago I ate lots of grains and my weight was 164. I always thought of myself as slim, but began noticing back then that my jeans were too tight at the waist. My identical twin brother on the other hand eats bagels, pasta, desserts, juice etc and weighs 178 lbs. He doesn't look "fat" but his waist is about 6 inches larger than mine.

Malcolm
    ADITA Health
  • Thanatic
    Options
    I'd take a look at your daily nutrient intake. Whole grains are a great source of dietary fiber, which helps reduce blood cholesterol and lowers your risk for heart disease and diabetes. Fiber is also great for keeping you full for long periods of time without too many calories. Grains are also a great source of B vitamins, which help regulate metabolism and keep your nervous system in tip top shape. They're also loaded with minerals (particularly iron, magnesium for healthy bones, and selenium for a strong immune system). Grains aren't the only way to get all that, but if you're low in any of those areas, it's an easy way to bump em up.

Hi Shleki,

I usually have this for breakfast:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/golden-vale-aldi-oats-sensations-apricot-and-grain-4845774

My lunch is this vegetable soup (carrots, celery, diced tomatoes, onion, salt and pepper) - I sometimes throw in some meat from the previous nights dinner...

What do you think of the oats as far as your comments are concerned? Should I through some extra special ingredients in with them?

Cheers,
    James
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    please post Macros? weight? height? TDE @ maintenance!

if you want to maintain muscle mass probably need the up the protein to at least 30%
  • Thanatic
    Options
    What is your height and weight?
    How active are you?

Height: 1.76m (5.77 feet)
    Weight: 84kg (185lb)

I play table-tennis 4 times a week, but I have a "sedentary" job, so I try to get a bit of walking in when I can...

Cheers,
    James
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    You are concerned about your macro percents but not your total calories?

They are related.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the info.

At that height and weight (mine) your cals are likely too low. There are various risks from muscle loss to performance to nutrition. I would suggest that you increase calories (eventually to around 1600-1800 at least for loss - I'm at 2700 for maintenance) by 300-400 and see that you will continue to lose weight (after an initial 2-3 day weight gain).

To answer your initial question - carbs percents don't matter. focus on getting enough fats and protein.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Your fine.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you feel good and your weight loss is going well (which judging by the 31kg it is; congratulations!) then just alter the macros (carbs, protein, fats) to match what you're doing.