Hope non-smoker

Options
Ok I'm just over a year smoke free and during that year I gained at least 15 pounds, but I think the real number is 20 - I know I "junked out" too much and said it was ok "cause I quit smoking" well now I have to stop whining and stop "junking out"...I hope I can find the support to lost the weight I need too. My clothes are all to tight and I feel sick! so starting today I'm doing this!

Replies

• mellers1313
    mellers1313 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Aw well done on quitting smoking.This site is great.

Good luck with the weight loss.
    X
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the quitting smoking! This site is great! I really hope you find the help and support you need. Good luck!
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    I've been wanting to quit smoking too,how did you quit?

I been using the excuse that I will gain even more weight,so your ahead of the game and with only 15 lbs to loose,no problem!!!!

Best wishes to you!!
  • PENNYRENEE
    PENNYRENEE Posts: 3
    Options
    I HAVE RECENTLY JUST QUIT SMOKING MYSELF. SO CONGRATS ON THAT! IM DOING BOTH AT THE SAME TIME, QUITING SMOKING AND TRYING TO EAT HEALTHIER. SO FAR NOT TO BAD.ITS THE ONLY WAY I KNOW HOW TO DO IT WITHOUT GAINING ALOT OF WEIGHT. BUT I LOVE THIS SITE.HAS HELPED ALOT. IVE BEEN SMOKE FREE FOR 2 WKS AND LOST EIGHT POUNDS. YOU CAN DO IT TO.
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    Congrats!!!!
    My last smoke was Dec 10th...gained about 10 pounds because of that and for about 4 months before that my husband was gone at school and I gained about 10 while he was gone (about 20 total too). So far, I have been on here about 35 days and lost 8 of those so far :wink: I would love to be a friend so we can help motivate each other!
  • OnieBee
    OnieBee Posts: 67
    Options
    I've been smoke free for 5 years now and I put on A TON of weight! I traded the cigs for food, not good! Its a great thing you have caught yourself now and are working towards a healthier you. This site has been very useful for me and has opened my eyes to what I consume. Best of luck!
  • neesey
    neesey Posts: 8
    Options
    I, too, started MFP this week and was a smoker (almost 2 years now). I have gained 20-25 pounds in those two years as well as being diagnosed as hypothyroid - double whammy! I told myself I deserved to snack alittle because I had quit smoking and that was my reward. Well...now can't fit in my old clothes and feel awful in my own skin.

I am determined to get this weight off. My goal weight is also 125 and I am currently 140. I noticed your goal is 125 also.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as we both work to reach our goals. Best of luck to you.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking! I finally quit about 3 years ago, after many attempts over about 20 years. It is tough compared to dieting, so I know you can do this!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 lbs almost immediately after I quit smoking. I know I rewarded myself with a cookie after a meal because I wasn't having a cigarette. I also worked out, but I think that made me hungrier so I would eat much larger portions, which I got used to whether I worked out or not!
    I quit smoking by using the nicotine gum. I thought it was really helpful because I could chew some gum when the cravings were bad. I think the gum recommends that you chew it all the time so you never have a craving but that would just make you addicted to the gum! After awhile, your coping mechanisms change and your brain makes new associations and the cravings lessen. I still want a cigarette sometimes when I have to deal with a super-stressful situation like driving in a blizzard or a fight with my SO. And I have failed (had a cigarette in a moment of weakness) but it usually made me feel sick and icky so if you fall, don't say, "oh now I'm a smoke again" just say, "I made a mistake but I am going to keep working towards the goal."
    I hate to say it, because you are probably healthier as a heavier non-smoker, but to anyone who is going to quit, it really is easier never to gain than it is to try and lose. MFP is great for helping you understand caloric needs.
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    I gained 20 pounds when I quit smoking.

I was bad and a few last week, but that crap made me feel HORRIBLE.

You can do it!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    That's how I got here. I was a chunky smoker,,, then 3 years ago I quit and gained 25 pounds and it just got ridiculous. It's been 3 years. I'm still smoke free, and I got the weight off plus some, and I feel better at 42 than I did at 25, honest.

You can do it, welcome aboard.
  • 20by630
    20by630 Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks! everyone!!!!
  • Firefrog76
    Firefrog76 Posts: 45
    Options
    I've quit before and failed. i just started quitting again,day one is done!
    Congrats on the year smoke free! That is awesome! Just think of how much easier it'll be to hit the cardio with your healthy lungs!
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I know you're not happy having gained the 15-20 lbs, but you are much healthier now than you were as a smoker - extra weight and all. Congratulations on quitting! I quit October 2008.

I think it's fantastic that you're going to work on the weight now, too. Seems like the right time - you've given yourself the chance to be YOU nicotine-free, and now you can divert your attention from that battle to losing weight. Good luck! IMO, losing weight is easier than quitting smoking! ;) You CAN have just one bowl of ice cream - an idea that doesn't hold true for cigarettes.