Pedometer Suggestion

Options
I'm doing a weightloss program and one of the components for weight loss is using a pedometer. The company provided a cheap pedometer which is constantly falling off my pants and impacting my overall steps.

I have done some minimal research, but I'm trying to find a pedometer (inexpensive) that has a good gripper to hold the pedometer in place.

The Omron HJ-112 Pocket Pedometer has gotten some great reviews.

Any other suggestions?

Replies

• nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    with many of the cheaper clip ons be prepared to buy a few. i went through many due to either losing them or getting them wet walking in the rain for i clipped it on my sock and sometimes sneaker. I paid a few extra dollars for a pocket one and worked better for me in not losing it or getting wet. some phones have apps as a pedometer too.

pedometers are good as a tool to help push one self but they are not the absolute in accuracy at times
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options

The Omron HJ-112 Pocket Pedometer has gotten some great reviews.

Any other suggestions?
    no other suggestions as that is the one I use and am more than happy with it
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    fitbit
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Other suggestions? No. I had the Omron before I got a Fitbit and it was good. Didn't have a problem with the clip at all when I wore it that way.
  • rzaloudek67
    Options
    Fitbit. I love mine! It's a great pedometer, and it can be downloaded to your PC or bluetooth smartphone...and it can intereact with MFP. I got one for Christmas and I love it!
  • rzaloudek67
    Options
    OH, and it can do more than just be a pedometer, depending on the model that you choose.
  • TheKidd2013
    TheKidd2013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    fitbit

This is a great product if your willing to spend the money - not inexpensive but well worth the price!
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would recommend FitBit too but I would hardly call it 'inexpensive'!
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    FitBit One. It is $100 but worth the investing in it.

It can be tuned to sleep mode when you are driving on bumpy road and it will not count it as steps. Also, it counts stairs climbed.

You can set your daily and weekly goal through their website. Fitbit.com is free to use and it links to MFP. FitBit.com does offer premium membership with 'person trainer' for $54/year, or 4.10 /month = price of a burger.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Might check out a Fitbit....It's like a Pedometer on Roids!! Very motivating little tool...discreet & cheap! :)
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    if you get a zip it is only 60
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have an omron..( HJ-303?) It has been very reliable. It has a clip, plus an extra clip attached to a shot lanyard so I've got a back up if it slips. I got it free from work through a walking challenge promotion. If I had to buy one on my own I'd look into the STRIV. I like the idea of my steps earning perks in a video game.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    FitBit... it automatically uploads exercise calories to MFP.
  • yonky50
    yonky50 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    After buying three $10 pedometers because i lost one, put one thru the wash and dropped one, my daughter bought me the Omron for christmas. There is a place on top where i put a ring so i can put a pin on so i pin it to my waistband or to my pocket so i won't lose it. Like that it tells me my calories although i don't add them back for daily steps, only if i do a cardio walk (or am really, really hungary). I have arthritic knees and am putting off knee replacement so i starting walking with the pedometer, increasing my steps each week as my knees allowed. In November i joined a gym and am now treadmill walking also.
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    fitbit

that is what I was going to suggest. It depends what you mean by inexpensive, I guess, but with the cheap pedometers I've bought (all $20 or less, and the "rocker" variety in terms of counter) I went through three or four, didn't always remember to wear them, and found them extremely inaccurate (bumpy bus rides counted as walking).

I haven't had my FitBit very long, but the fact that it uploads my data automatically, and that I can link my FitBit site to this one reminds me to use it, and keeps me motivated. It is rain and splash proof, and it can be worn anywhere on the torso (I wear mine on the centre of my bra, which makes it discrete for all day use and nearly impossible to lose). I bought the $100 "One" which also tracks sleep *fairly* accurately, but for just steps stairs and calories (which are more accurate because they are based on your height and weight as well as how quickly you are stepping) they also have the "Zip" which is $60.

Not quite "cheap" compared to the $5-20 varieties out there, but more accurate, and about the same as buying 3-5 cheap ones over the course of a year.
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    FitBit One. It is $100 but worth the investing in it.

It can be tuned to sleep mode when you are driving on bumpy road and it will not count it as steps. Also, it counts stairs climbed.

The One still counts steps during sleep mode --- if you get up during the night to get a glass of water etc it will show the steps in the morning. However, I've found that it doesn't register steps (much) while in a vehicle
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone in a wearable case, or a fanny pack you can put it in, the runtastic pedometer app seemed rather accurate to me. I used it on a walk I had GPS mapped and it was extremely close.
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I use the FitBit Ultra *and* the Nintendo DS Personal Training Walking program/pedometer.
    The DS 'game' comes with 2 pedometers for $30 or less. This assumes you already have a DS, and/or maybe a kid...
    but it's a fun little program and I have used it for years.
    Side by side, I find the readings to be VERY close.