Exercise Plan for 330 pound woman

Options
Hello, I am thinking about starting to add exercise to my plan, and the only trouble is that the plans i see online or in books are geared toward people who are already "mobile". I'm not saying i can't move, but i dont know if i can do 30 minutes of anything.

I hate the gym and will not go. I live in a small room (I'm a student) and there is barely enough room to walk in, let alone to exercise. I do have a set of 8 pound weights and a set of those rubber band resistance thingies for your arms.

I have a park across the street with a field, a playground and some benches (not sure if they are strong enough to hold me, though).

Right now, daily, I walk 5 minutes to the bus in the morning, walk up about 100 stairs (and want to die), walk down 100 stairs, and walk 5 minutes home. At work I walk a total of about 10 minutes a day.

I am looking for some advice on what to do for exercise. I have recently gone on some longer walks with a friend, but I end up taking loads of breaks and the next day my knees and legs feel like crap.

Any tips? I really want to start off slowly, but I don't really have a gauge for what to do, for who long and how often. help!

Replies

• missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I would suggest you start slow, and only go as far as you can, increase when your ready, pretty soon you will find yourself going farther and farther.
    Good luck on your journey.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I think walking is a great start, going as slowly as you need to but consistently challenging yourself to push a little faster and/or farther each time. If you aren't already, be sure you are wearing some good, supportive shoes which might help with the knee pain. It will get easier as the weight comes off. Maybe others have some more ideas in terms of how long and how often, but I would just say "as much as you can manage" and "as often as you can manage it" since you aren't likely to really overtrain on walking.

And remember, you definitely CAN lose weight without the exercise component, but I think it is is great to get started moving around since it will make you feel so much better in the long run.
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Just walk as far as you can and add to you time when you feel yu can push yoursself! I found when i was in the three hundred that was the easiest exercise for me and my knees!! Take it a day at a time and set yourself a goal like in a month a want to be able to walk for thirty min. Good luck!!
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Start with the easiest and most natural activity of all - walking. Try climbing those stairs a few more times. Use your dumbbells for your arms and shoulders. As you lose weight and get fitter, you can walk longer, faster, climb more stairs, try a few push ups, a few squats. Keep it simple, keep active, stay healthy and carefull not to injure your self.
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    First, considering that you're basically sedentary, you may want to consider checking in with your doctor before starting anything.

You say you don't think that you can do anything for thirty minutes. Can you walk for fifteen minutes? Ten? Do that. If you have to take a break, you have to take a break...just try to push yourself a little bit harder every day. After two weeks, add another five minutes daily.

Your knees take the brunt of your body weight and the impact of walking. If you're going from not doing anything to doing something, you're gonna be sore. There's not really a way around that Learn the difference between sore and hurt. Hurting is bad, soreness means it's working.

I would also reconsider the gym if I were you. Particularly for a heavier person, starting off with non-impact aerobics like swimming, aquafit, Arc trainers or ellipticals is a lot safer. Believe me, no one at the gym is looking at you. They're too busy watching themselves in the mirror or squinting to see the closed captions on the tv set.
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I read once if you add 100 steps each day to what ever your doing now will go along way. Also you can try to take a Glucosamine/chondriton supplement, this will help with the joints.
    just remember to keep adding something to what you are already doing. in time the joints will loosen up and respond and feel better.
    Dietary wise I would try to avoid any white flour, real sugar or limit sweetners, and omit or limit white potatoes and rice. Increase your fruits and veggies and drink lots and lots of water. maybe start to carry a quart size container with you and drink consistantly from it.
    Walking is free and you just need to get out and do it. I found some arm work outs on the web and the weights you have would be perfect for that. some exercises to do would be bicep curls, bent over rows, tricep kick backs, over head press, chest press also you can do squats holding the weights at your sides.
    Best wishes to you on the weight loss jouney!
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing just great! I would keep up with your walks and stairs until you feel like you can increase it. If you add too fast you may injure yourself since you state you aren't use to strenuous exercise. Walking is a great place to start :) Your body will let you know when to increase the time because it'll start to get easier for you to breathe when going up/down the stairs and you won't have to take breaks.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Walking is good. You can also do a little dancing to music in your room. The bands and dumbbells are great for strength training too.

You might also enjoy water aerobics too if you have a pool in your town. Or just walking laps in a pool. It is relaxing, provides resistance and cardio training, it's easier on your joints, and just plain fun. Don't worry about being plus sized in the pool. Wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt over your swim suit if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Best of luck!
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    You do have a gauge, and its built inside of you! listen to your body. However, I live by the motto "my mind will give up on me before my body does." With this mentallity I have conquered some of the hugest hills while riding my bike. Hills that I used to not even attempt to ride up.

It's ok to take breaks. I would start off with small walks, it doesn't have to be 30 mins all together. You can do 10 before work, 10 during lunch, and 10 after. You really don't have to string it all together at once.

As far as joints hurting and such. Maybe you can try some less impactful exercises. Cycling, eliptical, swimming, etc. How are the shoes that you are wearing. Bad shoes can give you all kinds of pains. I went to a real shoe store (nu balance store) wear they actually took time to properly fit my feet with shoes and it made all the difference in the world for me.

One last thing, you can approach exercise in a way where it doesn't seem like such a task. ride a bike for fun, play fetch with your dog. Go to the mall (mall walking.) Gardening is another good activity that I've been getting into lately that doesn't seem like exercise on the surface but you burn alot of calories just pushing around a lawnmower or moving dirt around. Just anything to get moving is the idea here.

We are all pulling for you Lindsay!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I started at 270 or 280. I started exercising by walking and biking. At first, I could only bike a few minutes before I felt like I was going to die. I just took it from there and slowly built myself up.

I think the main thing for people who weigh more is to focus on lower impact exercise. If you have access to a pool, swimming would be AWESOME exercise for you. Even walking around in a pool takes a lot of the stress off your joints. Other than swimming, biking and walking are great low impact exercises. And then there's always modified jumping jacks and other calisthenics you can start to work on.

Building up your strength (not only muscles, but your bones and tendons as well) and endurance are going to take time. But if you work on it a little each day, in a few months you'll be absolutely blown away by how far you've come (for example, I would nearly die after 4-5 minutes of slow biking last September. Now I run miles and miles at at time with no pain and no problems!). :smile:
  • mimmib
    mimmib Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with everyone, and for me the key thing is to not push myself too hard, then I won't have a good memory of the exercise and won't want to do it again. Go far enough, but not too far, to keep it fun! Soon you'll want to push yourself because it's so rewarding! Good Luck!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    repeating what most people said! Walking is a good start. Just add more and more each day. You could get a pedometer and try to increase your steps each day. Also try swimming or water aerobics, its great on the knees!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already know what to do but maybe you want to hear it from someone else.

Walking is probably going to be the best thing for you, and I'd suggest using the park. Try starting with one lap around it. I don't know how big it is actually, so I should change that to, try starting with 10-15mins. Don't keep going until you're exhausted on the first day, the result will just be no walking tomorrow. Take it easy, this is going to be a marathon, so there's no need to sprint at the beginning.

After a few days of walking 10-15 mins, you could start going a bit longer. After 1-2 weeks you could start trying to go a bit faster. Make sure you've got good, supportive joggers. A knee injury slows things down a lot. You might even consider getting a knee support from the chemist (drug store) or sports shop if it starts hurting.

The important thing is to do a bit every day, and to keep increasing the amount you do until you can really get that body working. At the same time, make sure you track what you eat and I guess you'll need to start making some big changes there too.

I think you know a lot of what you need to do. You just need to decide to go and do it. My advice would be, don't wait until tomorrow.

Good luck.
  • lindsaylee
    lindsaylee Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for all of the adivice everyone. I suppose I do know sorto0f what to do... i mean I've read every "diet" book known to man... i just want to see what has worked for others who were sedentary and severely obese.

I usually get home at about 5pm, and I have a second job i work in the evenings, so it should still be enough time to get some exercise in. my plan for tonight is to go for one lap around the park (the park is 1 block long on 4 sides) and am aiming for that taking about 15 minutes.

if i am feeling up to it, this weekend i would like to go to the pool near my house (only about 5 blocks away). walking to the pool would be good exercise in itself, and i will try the water walking. swimming was one of my favourite things when i was younger and i would love to get back into it. I do not have a bike, but it's something to think about. i live in vancouver though and i dont have a car, so riding on the street would be scary... but i can always be one of those annoying people who rise on the sidewalks lol. thanks again everyone. welcome to more ideas, too!
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    I started at over 300 as well and was in the same boat. I started off with Richard Simmons videos (Sweating to the Oldies). They're a bit cheesy, but they're also low impact and fun. It took me 4 months to finally be able to do an entire video. Until then, I just did as much as I could until I thought I was going to die, then I pushed myself for one more minute. At first, I couldn't handle more than about 5 minutes. Slowly, but surely, I worked my way up and finally made it to the end of the 30 minute video (and then some since I was busy dancing around in celebration). I do cardio 2x a week and strength training 1x a week. For strength training, the weight bearing exercises are still too much for me (pushups, squats, lunges, etc). I can't do leg lifts that lift both legs at the same time, but I can lift one leg at a time, so I do a few sets of that. Eventually I was able to buy a set of ankle weights to add 3lbs to each leg. Now, I can finally do 5 leg lifts (both at the same time) before I get into trouble. But I still push myself to get at least one more in. I also bought some resistance bands and they work very nicely. I find them easier to work with than hand weights and since they're so versatile, you can also do leg and ab work with them.

The bottom line, don't expect yourself to be perfect from the start. Do what you can, then strive to beat your own personal bests. One more rep or one more minute is a success and you should feel good about each baby step of progress that you make.
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Bump to discuss later...
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I do agree with what all these members are saying on the walking and using what weight lifting items you have, But mainly I want to tell you GOOD JOB for putting yourself out there and working on losing weight! You will be amazed at how fast your weight will come off by logging EVERY bite and getting your heart rate up and keeping it up for even say 15 minutes. Like the member above me says your biggest obstacle is your mind, just keep pushin on and when it gets tuff you will need to be tuffer!!! Go girl and friend me if you want and I can help with other threads/groups!!! Best wishes!!!
  • hobbswiff
    hobbswiff Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a believer in the "buddy" system. If someone you know is wanting to lose weight also, you can work together. I have found that when I am walking in the afternoons with my husband or best friend, time and distance don't seem to matter inbetween the conversations. if you need to break though, take you one. Remember to keep your body hydratred to help muscle cramps. You are going to be sore though until your body gets used to it. Also swimming is a great way to loose weight. I know how you feel about gyms, but they are not all that bad. There are gyms that are geared toward women, if that helps. But take it from me, people don't watch you like we think they do. They are there for the same reason. Use your dumbells while watching tv, do 15 curls with each arm if you can and work your way up. Also, try streching, see how many times you can touch your toes and then reach the sky. You'll be surprised how this can help. No matter what, don't give up and TAKE it slow in the begining. Keep pushing yourself each day, eat healthy and best of luck to you!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I agree with others -- walk! If you don't feel up to walking outside then I do a DVD that is in-home walking -- Leslie Sansone has a lot of videos (um, DVDs) ranging from one mile on up to much, much more. I started out with the one-mile (about 20 minutes including warmup/cooldown) -- the Express one is my favorite. It is basically walking in place, kicks, moving back and forth. She incorporates a little strength training in some of them as well. That is the other thing I'd recommend to start with the walking... not going to the gym or anything like that but just a few exercises with dumbells. Also, if you are like me and hate to sweat and have other see you exercise -- I loved water aerobics when I did it for a few months (alas, no programs around here right now). I know water aerobics or exercising in water is often recommended for people with less mobility, even recovering from injuries or things like that as well. And definitely find a buddy! :)
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    When I started my journey I was at just under 300lbs and very sedentary as well. I would like to encourage you to keep up the good attitude and the desire to improve. I'm proud of you. I think the Leslie Sansone walking dvds would be good as well. Also, if you don't want to invest in those, chose your favorite tv show, and walk while you watch your show. Take a break during the commercials if you want and then pick back up again when the show starts. Just walk in place in front of the tv. You don't have to move super-fast, but move and remember to breathe. You'll do great!! :flowerforyou: