Carb Cycling Diet?

mlbazemore
mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone tried carb cycling? I've read that it is safe and healthy. As a former Atkins dieter, I can say that the weight does come off, but I don't believe it is a very healthy way to live your entire life but I'm curious about carb cycling since I haven't been able to lose weight lately. Anyone?.........

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    my wife does it. More for when she feels she needs to kick the carb addiction than for weight loss. I've tried it a few times, does nothing for me (I did a 3 week cycle from 30 grams to 175 grams), although I did notice the lack of energy during my 5 days of very low carbs while doing my explosion training (had to stop my tabata protocol because I almost passed out).
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    I'm just starting this up again but wow, 30 grams ... not even on my lowest carb day, lol. I also don't low-carb for more than 3 days in a row.

I cycle between about 135g to 271g. I've had decent results though I don't like to do it for too long because the salt is kinda high from all the protein powders.

I'm hoping it would help me break through this plateau of mine. I'm also going to be starting Insanity in a month so I'm enjoying my protein while I'm "allowed".
  • mis2princesas
    mis2princesas Posts: 2 Member
    I think I can say I'm doing the carb cycling diet.. I lost 60 pounds with Medi Weight Loss diet.. which is very low in carb... and I've kept it off since October.. but I'd like to lose another 15 pounds..
    I've been able to maintain myselt doing the carb cycling diet... I eat low carb Monday morning through Friday morning.. and I eat 'whatever I want' Friday afternoon through Sunday night... LOL... and when I say 'whatever I want'.. I really mean it.. =).. there are weeks that I lose a couple of pounds... weeks that I get them back.. weeks that I weight the same.. Now I'm going to do the same thing.. but I won't eat 'whatever I want'.. I'll chose better options.. more carbs.. but 'good' carbs...
    Let's hope it works...

(this is my first post... yayyy!.. - I just joined this week!..)
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    I'm doing 60% carbs on Tuesdays and Fridays and 30-40% carbs on other days. I wish I could eat whatever I want but I don't want to compromise my performance.

I hear bodybuilders do something similar (they call it refeeding). Maybe I'll try it after I reach my goal weight.
  • paulreese
    paulreese Posts: 10
    Congrats on your P90X accomplishments. During Insanity you really shoulden't miss the protien. The Insanity nutrition plan is alot like P90X phase two eating, although they have simplified things a bit for people. however after having done the X you will have a good idea of foods you can substitute for the choices they give you. Good luck with insanity. Keep us up to date on your progress.
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Welcome to MFP I think you will find it very helpful....I have. When your counting calories theres nothing like having everything right at your fingertips...and the people are lovely and it's like the biggest support group you could ever join!
This discussion has been closed.