It's only been a month, but I'm feeling discouraged.

Options
I feel great after working, and I feel like I've lost weight and look great. THEN, I look in the mirror and I still look the same.

Needing some motivation, guys!

-6lbs and I'm too scared to weigh myself again.

Replies

• frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hey, 6 lbs in a month is a great pace! It's a pace where you'll be able to get it off and keep it off. :flowerforyou:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    ummm, you've lost 6lbs in one month? THAT IS AWESOME!! what are you fretting about? I'm lucky if I lose 2lbs a month...you aren't going to see difference in the mirror after one month...change is so slow and you see yourself ever day. But how do you feel? how do you clothes fit? is anyone else noticing?

What I really see is that you are on a diet...you need to stop the diet mentality and make a lifestyle change...something that you can sustain, not just suffer through at the moment. Are you lifting weights? resistance training with be the thing if you want to see changes in the mirror...cardio will help you burn cals, but won't sustain an energery burn the way resistance training will.

you're going to have to look long term, not short term. If you look at nothing but the scale to measure your success you will be disappointed...your body holds water when it is rebuilding muscle...and it fluxuates..all the time.

Given all that...give yourself a pat on the back for taking steps toward a healthier lifestyle...
  • Bulldogmomma3
    Bulldogmomma3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The brain takes a while to catch up with the body. Even when I was at my thinnest I still felt "fat". I look at those pictures from when I was a size 8 and think...WTF was I thinking calling myself fat?!!!

You have lost 6 pounds and that is an awesome start, just keep at it and think how great you will feel in a few months when you are even closer to your goal!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Take pictures. Compare them to before pictures, that will often show changes before the mirror does.

Also, a month isn't a long time anyway. Go ahead and feel discouraged if you want to, but don't give up!
  • teshiburu
    teshiburu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    6lbs in a month is good, and you are doing really well and should be proud of your self.

Lee Iacocca once said:

"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance."

You can do it, your an amazing person for noticing you need to make a change and even more amazing for making that change keep at it I have faith in you!

also friend request sent!!
  • mytman
    mytman Posts: 218
    Options
    hey kloco

the thing about weightloss is it hides so that you cant see it. I find that for me I am very much like you in the fact that I feel great but when I look in the mirror i cant see the difference, but it is there when I weigh myself and deep down i know it will be because I know that I am watching what i am eating and exercising the weight has go!

So I encourage you to not be scared to weigh yourself as if u have done the hard yards the rewards will come and then u will see the difference in time and we will look forward to seeing your weight loss when u post it.

I have faith in you that if u done the hard yards we will be excited when u weigh in. When do you weigh in

You can add me if you want
  • kloco
    kloco Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I know you're right and that I should be proud that I lost 6 lbs in a month. i just started tape measuring myself the other day. I just like seeing the numbers go down.. ANY number go down lol.

I did notice when I tried on clothes at the mall the other day that I'm the same size, just a looser same size if that makes any sense. It gave me a real boost of motivation and I kicked *kitten* at the gym later on that day.
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    In 6 months, you are going to be mind blown! Just keep it up! I promise!
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I know you're right and that I should be proud that I lost 6 lbs in a month. i just started tape measuring myself the other day. I just like seeing the numbers go down.. ANY number go down lol.

I did notice when I tried on clothes at the mall the other day that I'm the same size, just a looser same size if that makes any sense. It gave me a real boost of motivation and I kicked *kitten* at the gym later on that day.

Oh and I personally didnt change clothes sizes until I hit like a 25 pound loss.....it will come!
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Rome was not built in a day! remember that it takes time for you to see results in the mirror, so keep your head up and drive on set your goals and in due time you will be proud
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I feel great after working, and I feel like I've lost weight and look great. THEN, I look in the mirror and I still look the same.

Needing some motivation, guys!

-6lbs and I'm too scared to weigh myself again.

I always feel this way after losing. When you see yourself in the mirror every day it's hard to see any change. I recommend taking before and after pictures and not only looking at them yourself but getting others to or you could take measurements, then you should be able to notice more of a difference. You've done great, don't let it get you down:flowerforyou:
  • greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know for me personally, I do the same thing. I feel stronger and better in the first month, lose a little weight on the scale and some inches, but the mirror does not reflect it!

Do not get discouraged though! I have been an on and off again exerciser and when I am able to muster through that first month and get into the second month is where I can really start to see change instead of just feel it! It is usually between week 6 - 8 that I really start to see the difference.

I agree with others as well that 6 lbs is a great loss during the first month. Also I have found the measurements are a huge motivator especially when I couldn't see the difference. Don't get too wrapped up in numbers though (measurements or the scale). People lose at different rates! If you are eating healthy and exercising, keep at it and you will be able to see a difference. Some people lose almost nothing to begin with and then all of a sudden the weight just falls off! I knew one lady who said that there was almost no difference for 3 months and then in that 4th month, it all just started falling off. Don't get discouraged! You are on the right path! Your progress is actually really good!!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    If you loose super fast it will come back on super fast!
    6 pounds is a lot!
    Your are doing great, it is HARD.
    But you can do it
    What 1 person can do another can do!
  • reyes2493
    Options
    Don't feel discouraged. If you're scared to weigh yourself you can always tape measure your waist and hips every 2 weeks.
    just remember drink a ton of water and careful with your sodium intake.

Keep up the good work! [;
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Take measurements now! Waist, Hips, Thighs and neck. Also, work out! I wish I had before measurements
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs/week is a lot of weightloss. Just plan to go slow and accept there will be plateaus and fight on past the bad habits/days you "fall off the wagon".

I still don't notice a lot of change in the way my body look BUT my clothes say otherwise (and so does the tape measure). It took losing about 15lbs before I noticed a difference in my clothes AND I noticed on the basketball court officiating (The knees and back didn't hurt.)
  • kloco
    Options
    Thanks, feeling motivated again!

1 Month, 6lbs down!

only 48 more lbs to go!
  • jrzyfan01
    jrzyfan01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I really started getting serious January 7th. I joined a gym and started going 5 times a week. I started logging everything on MFP. The first week no lose, which was discouraging because I had busted my butt working out. I have lots of weight to lose, probably close to 150 lbs, and when I say that number out loud, sometimes I think I will never make it. But, I didn't put it on overnight and I am not going to lose it overnight. I kept reading about making sure I am drinking enough water. I was only drinking 4 bottles. My magazines would say, if I am not properly hydrated then my muscles will actually hold the water to recover after a workout. I am now at 6 bottles of water and now after 4 weeks, I am down 11 lbs! I will get to my goal of being healthy and beautiful.
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    Celebrate your success and don't beat yourself up! I'm sure you didn't put your weight on all in 1 month!! You look fabulous, just keep the momentum!! You've got this!
  • kloco
    Options
    I log in my food, workout everyday, drink a ton of water, have access calories ... gained a pound :(