Snacks for Disney

Options
I am heading to Disney on Sunday. I am doing a week there with my family. I"m very excited about it but also slightly nervous since my eating schedule will be out of my control. So i'm looking for suggestions on snacks that I can take with me for when my family decided to go 8+hours without eating! Thanks.

Replies

• sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Last time I went to Disney, they didn't want me to take in food. I had a bag of apples and I told them I was diabetic. I suggest fruit and protein bars. Maybe baby carrots?
  • on2anewme
    on2anewme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When we went, I took string cheese, crackers, carrot sticks to nibble so I didn't go crazy. It IS Disney, so treat yourself, however, save where you can! They also sell apples/other fruits so you don't have to carry those. We actually got a turkey leg at one place (Epcot) I think. Tons of protein and yummy!
    Have a blast!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    What do you normally snack on?

Dried fruit
    Trail mix
    Apples

Anything that you can put into a ziplock bag and into your purse.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I was there in November and they do offer alternatives to the fast food frenzy. You just have to look and ask, but fruits and veggies are often offered. Protein bars are a good call as is crackers or trail mix. If you put it on the bottom of your bag and cover with a light jacket, they really won't bother to look.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    We always eat breakfast before we get to the park and dinner after we leave the park, so you really only have 1 meal and some snacks to cover at the parks. I took Powerbars and Cliff Bars just in case the family picked a lunch place that I couldn't find much that I should eat. There are more and more fruit and veggie stands around Disney so you can find healthier snacks if you look.

Good luck and Have fun!
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    As you know Disney allows for you to take a cooler with you and that will give you many possibilities. The last time I went we took bread, ham, and cheese. Nuts, fruit, string cheese, water bottles, and snacks for the kids like gold fish, graham crackers, and juice boxes. Peanut butter and apple slices, protein bars, etc. Check the database for Disney and you will see a list of some of their foods just in case. (BTW; the turkey leg is like 1,000 calories...) You can also call the park and ask if they have a list of restaurants with the nutritional values, that way you are informed before going. They have all kinds of restaurants, from burgers to baked chicken, salads, veggies, wraps, etc.

Now the most important thing to remember is to HAVE FUN!!!! All the parks are awesome and the walking could be intense. Enjoy it, look for the best alternatives food wise, stay hydrated, and take lots of pictures! (Check the weather, last weekend I went to Magic Kingdom and it was in the 40's in the morning, but high 70's in the afternoon. Crazy...)
  • tjungkunz
    Options
    You will have a blast! Plus, you will be walk ing a ton, GREAT bonus! We went 2x, plus last fall Universal and I'm queen of packing! We could take ANYTHING in & w/ 3 kids and a hungry husband, that REALLY helps! Any fruit, especially apples, you can freeze grapes/berries to keep colder. Any veggies, especially carrots, celery, zucchini, peppers! I also did nuts and protein bars b/c the more protein, the fuller you'll feel! I packed sandwiches/bagels/granola bars for the rest of them (I don't eat those) and a few drinks or you can freeze water instead of cooler packs, then refill (plus, water's free!). By doing these things, I didn't feel deprived and felt good about my choices, so I would splurge on icecream (my fave!) or a fattier meal. We saved SO much $$$! I always go tot he grocery the 1st night we're there and stock up. Have fun!!
  • junip1977
    junip1977 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wo go to Disney often and alot of the places in the parks offer healthier snack options. Some offer a carrots and celery snack pack. Others offer bananas, or grapes. Usually you can find some kind of salads at the quick service food places. It is all very doable, but you have to have the willpower to bypass all the naughty foods. Have fun, we are going in 2 weeks!!! WOOHOO!!
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    We just got back 2 weeks ago, do you plan on taking all of your own food? Or are you part of the disney meal plan?
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I was at Disney with some friends just a few weeks ago. We had trail mix, fruit snacks, turkey jerky, and baby carrots as snacks, and we brought in sandwiches for lunch. Plus we all had water bottles (one friend even brought her camelback pack) and even a couple tiny cans of soda, as we knew we'd need caffeine at some point. As far as "getting it in the gate" - they didn't care one little bit.

ENJOY!! :flowerforyou:
  • poorgirl1
    poorgirl1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I went last April and carried snacks and lunch for my whole family. I am vegetarian and found few healthy options. I packed hummus, tomato and cheese sandwiches. We carried fruit for snacks and also some granola bars for the kiddos. I had no problem getting food in. I packed everything in small coolers that fit under the stroller. Also, keep in mind that you walk A LOT in Disney.
  • Debbieinflorida
    Options
    Besides bringing your own snacks, you can find healthy choices at Disney.

If you are going to Animal Kingdom at Disney World, I recommend the Bradley Falls Kiosk's edamame. If you are looking for fresh fruit try the Tamu Tamu Refreshments or the Harambe Fruit Market.

I would also splurge and enjoy a turkey leg. It is high in protein but just watch how much you eat. This is something you should share. But a turkey leg is definitely worth the treat.

Try the Pineapple Dole Whip for a low calorie treat. It is especially good when it is hot and you need to cool off.