Any Atheists out there ?

Options

Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Agnostic.

Edited to clarify.

Agnosticism is simply the belief that we (humanity) don't know enough to prove or disprove the existence of a greater power. Though many agnostics, like myself, have their own set of beliefs that do not fit within any organised religion.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    More agnostic than atheist

What's agnostic? I don't feel like googling.

Isn't this the drink at Christmas?
  • joe3166
    Options

I believe in a higher power but not "God" or religion

Hmmm, that's interesting. Do you have a name for your higher power? Do you believe they should be worshiped? Prayed to? I'm intrigued.

My Dark Passenger
    jk
    I believe we are all connected but I can't explain. More like we are all part of this higher power "the continueum"

That is what we Buddhists believe. :)

hhhmmm never knew that - worth looking into
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not a douchey one.

This.
    I don't want religious people shoving their beliefs down my throat, so I won't shove my lack of belief down theirs.

This.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Unitarian....
  • Routerninja
    Options
    Agnostics are just atheists with commitment issues.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm an atheist, but I do like the principles of Buddhism, which doesn't require believing in any sort of deities necessarily
  • joe3166
    Options

haha great!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. Two reasons: First of all, I think he's a good actor, okay? To me, that counts. Second, he looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't eff around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    9um87n.jpg
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options

So you are saying that agnostics should be committed but have problems getting the paperwork right?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I believe in a higher power but not "God" or religion

Hmmm, that's interesting. Do you have a name for your higher power? Do you believe they should be worshiped? Prayed to? I'm intrigued.

My Dark Passenger
    jk
    I believe we are all connected but I can't explain. More like we are all part of this higher power "the continueum"

That is what we Buddhists believe. :)

hhhmmm never knew that - worth looking into

That's part of it. There is a lot more to Buddhism than just that. There are levels of "being", reincarnation, nirvana etc. It is quite interesting.

I've looked into a lot of religions over the years. I like some ideals of buddhism, some of native american tribes, some of this, some of that but I don't believe in a God.
  • duell55
    duell55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Atheist - but I hope I'm wrong!

Have you ever looked into it before? There is a lot of compelling evidence out there.

Check out this book: The Case for Christ- Lee Strobel
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Case-Christ-Journalists-Investigation/dp/0310209307/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360077813&sr=8-1&keywords=the+case+for+christ

and this website: http://www.veritas.org/
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. Two reasons: First of all, I think he's a good actor, okay? To me, that counts. Second, he looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't eff around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.

Joe Bless You
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of anything anymore. IDGAF

the world is going to *kitten*. no matter what anyone believes in.

my husband constantly debates religion though. he's an athiest and supports his views with science. that's where I draw the line. it's not my business what other people believe, and it's not my place to tell them if I think they're wrong.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options

This.
    I don't want religious people shoving their beliefs down my throat, so I won't shove my lack of belief down theirs.

Word! It doesn't bother me what someone chooses to believe. They have their reasons and I have mine. Live and let live. My husband is a christian and I'm a non-believer. We get along swimmingly!
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    1 Corinthians 1:18
    for the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Psalm 53:1
    The fool says in his heart, "There is no God."
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I love when I tell people at work that I am an Atheist, not because I'm throwing it around out of boredom, but because they tell me about how I need to worry about god this or god that. They then become incredibly offended and tell me I am going to hell. I then try to explain that's kinda impossible under my belief system. One actually asked if i could prove there is no god, I asked her if she could prove there was one, she said yes. The proof she presented was he is written about in the bible. I said, by that argument Harry Potter is not only real but he is MORE real because he got 7 books. She was not amused
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

This.

Yea, I have to say I find a larger proportion of Atheists seem to fall into the douchey preachy category than people of religion.

Atheists certainly do not have the douchey preachy category locked down when it comes to religious discussion. There are plenty of disgusting things said on both sides of the debate.

As a Christian I agree with this...

Just wanted to be IBTL

BTW, yes there are atheists here.... there are a couple of groups specifically for the atheist site members.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I love when I tell people at work that I am an Atheist, not because I'm throwing it around out of boredom, but because they tell me about how I need to worry about god this or god that. They then become incredibly offended and tell me I am going to hell. I then try to explain that's kinda impossible under my belief system. One actually asked if i could prove there is no god, I asked her if she could prove there was one, she said yes. The proof she presented was he is written about in the bible. I said, by that argument Harry Potter is not only real but he is MORE real because he got 7 books. She was not amused

I feel that in this day and age, god has been proven false...
This discussion has been closed.